E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

For all you out there with 20's

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [b][i]08 E-60 535i TT[/i][/b], 07/07 Production Date, Space Grey w/Blk Dakota interior, SA Tranny w/Pad Shift, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, NAV, PDC, IPOD, 30% Lumar tint front, 20% Lumar tint rear. 20" EXE "Konkourse" machined polished aluminum alloy wheels, 20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear, riding on Toyo Proxes 4's -255/30/20 front & 295/25/20 rear. [b]Gone but not forgotten![/b] - 04 E-60 545i Silver Gray w/gray dakota interior, Sprt Pkg, Prem Pkg, CW Pkg, HUD, NAV, Logic 7, PDC, Rear Shades.

Originally Posted by hooked' post='316685' date='Jul 29 2006, 11:07 AM
Maybe I should clear a few things up.....

I am not the first one to have gotten these rims....Im just the first one that they have put on a 5 series and taken a picture of

I did not get the completely free I payed for tires mount and balance 100 bucks rim

Hope that clears up some stuff.

For what is worth; I also need to clarify something. I purchased my EXE KonKourse wheels on Friday 6/30 from a dealer, so I guess that is why AXIS/EXE Wheels were not aware that the KonKourse were mounted on a E60 5 series, Sat. July 01.

I put pics of my car with new EXE KonKourse wheels on the E60.Net "Gallery", Sun July 3rd and also responded to the thread "Post Your Hot Aftermarket Wheels" with pics of my car on KonKourse wheels the same day.

Not that it makes a difference to anyone except me and "hooked" and I know it has no cosmic effect on anything truly relavent in our galaxy, but unless "hooked" had his wheels mounted BEFORE 7/01/06. MY 5 series was the first to be up and running around So. Cal on EXE KonKourse wheels.

TBlax545i
Attached Thumbnails For all you out there with 20's-img_0130.jpg  
Old 07-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TBlax545i' post='316678' date='Jul 29 2006, 10:19 AM
My apologies, in my state of shock I forgot to address the issue of steering. I initially had my EXE KonKourse's mounted on Michelin PS2's (24530/20 front 285/30/20 rear) NEVER so much as a shimmy or any steering issues. I did however have some major rubbing issues in the front and rear.

After getting input from cattman, I decided to make a change in tire sizes. My budget did not support going with Michelins again so I went with Toyo Proxes 4's, 255/30 front, 295/25 rear. Immediately after the remounting on Toyo's I did experience shaking between 60 to 70mph and then it would smooth out. I went back to tire shop and they re-checked balance, funny they also said their machine was slightly off and after rebalancing NO shake whatsoever. I can say the Toyo's are not as quiet or smooth as the Michelin's but my baby runs and looks sweet to me.
Hey TBlax,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are you saying that the Michelin PS2 245/30-20's in the front were rubbing but the Toyo Proxes 4 255/30-20's don't? Are you sure the PS2's were 30 profile and not 35 (245/35-20)?

Even though the 295/25-20's at the rear are 10mm wider than the 285/30-20's they are also almost 1" (0.9") smaller in overall diameter, so I can understand how it's possible for the wider 295's not to rub while the narrower 285's did. However, the 255/30-20's at the front are not only 10mm wider than the 245/30-20's but they are also 0.3" larger in diamter, so I don't understand how the 245's rubbed while the 255's don't. Unless the PS2's were 35 profile (245/35-20), in which case the overall diameter would have been 26.8 which would make it 0.7" larger in diameter than the Toyo Proxes 4 255/30-20's. In that case it does make more sense, but not if they were 30 profile.

Michelin PS2 245/30-20 25.8 in diameter
Toyo Proxes 4 255/30-20 26.1 in diameter

Michelin PS2 285/30-20 26.9 in diameter
Toyo Proxes 4 295/25-20 26.0 in diameter
Old 07-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TBlax545i' post='316690' date='Jul 29 2006, 11:27 AM
For what is worth; I also need to clarify something. I purchased my EXE KonKourse wheels on Friday 6/30 from a dealer, so I guess that is why AXIS/EXE Wheels were not aware that the KonKourse were mounted on a E60 5 series, Sat. July 01.

I put pics of my car with new EXE KonKourse wheels on the E60.Net "Gallery", Sun July 3rd and also responded to the thread "Post Your Hot Aftermarket Wheels" with pics of my car on KonKourse wheels the same day.

Not that it makes a difference to anyone except me and "hooked" and I know it has no cosmic effect on anything truly relavent in our galaxy, but unless "hooked" had his wheels mounted BEFORE 7/01/06. MY 5 series was the first to be up and running around So. Cal on EXE KonKourse wheels.

TBlax545i
You probably were and I'm not in competition with you or anyone else (not saying this in a bad way)

What I am sayin is that My car "according to axis" was the first one they had put on and could take their own exclusive pictures of for their site. I know Im not the first one with these wheels since I seen them before myself. I was just explaining why I got the deal from them.

Either way I think me and you are lucky to be proud owners of these rims......I just wanna get rid of the shaking...lol

Also I find it so wierd that my handling actually got worse instead of better after i replaced my RFT's with the wheels and tire

Well Ill keep you guys posted if I figure anything out by then.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [b][i]08 E-60 535i TT[/i][/b], 07/07 Production Date, Space Grey w/Blk Dakota interior, SA Tranny w/Pad Shift, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, NAV, PDC, IPOD, 30% Lumar tint front, 20% Lumar tint rear. 20" EXE "Konkourse" machined polished aluminum alloy wheels, 20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear, riding on Toyo Proxes 4's -255/30/20 front & 295/25/20 rear. [b]Gone but not forgotten![/b] - 04 E-60 545i Silver Gray w/gray dakota interior, Sprt Pkg, Prem Pkg, CW Pkg, HUD, NAV, Logic 7, PDC, Rear Shades.

Just got back on after Sat. visit with family in LA.

Rody - You are right, my PS2's were 245/35/20, my mistake in posting so quickly earlier today.

hooked - We're good. I was just shocked to see that someone got the same wheels, which I had paid my hard earned cash for, FREE. I think anyone of us, at first reaction, would have some of the same feelings I experienced when I first read your post. Add to it your statement about being the first to get them mounted on a 5 series, when I have been rolling them for almost a month I could not remain silent. But hey man congratulations on your deal. I'm old enough to know that's life in the big city.

I say "Roll On Buddy!"
Old 07-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 BMW 550i MSport, Carbon Black,20" Vossen CV-1's,Remus,RPi scoop,H&R. '07 Porsche 997 C4S with Aerokit,iForged 20",X51 engine upgrade,PCCB's,Guards Red.

Hooked,what size tires did they fit you out with
?I've got 245/35's and 275/30's and have rub issues.I also had a BAAAD shake till i fitted hub rings.Not perfect still,but better.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bj545i' post='316855' date='Jul 30 2006, 01:40 AM
Hooked,what size tires did they fit you out with
?I've got 245/35's and 275/30's and have rub issues.I also had a BAAAD shake till i fitted hub rings.Not perfect still,but better.
Hey buddy.......same size

My cars not dropped yet but going by what your saying if I put the H&R Race on there I'm gonna have biggggg problems.

May its the tires? Who knows

HooKed
Old 07-31-2006, 01:50 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 BMW 550i MSport, Carbon Black,20" Vossen CV-1's,Remus,RPi scoop,H&R. '07 Porsche 997 C4S with Aerokit,iForged 20",X51 engine upgrade,PCCB's,Guards Red.

YAY!@!@ think i've solved the problem..
1,Had all wheels rebalanced today (3rd time)and no steering wheel shake at ANY speed.Same tire shop,same balance machine.I think after driving 600 miles or so the wheels/tires have 'settled in'.

2,Had shop check all rub areas around wheel arch and inner fenders.After 600 miles there is plenty of clues as to where the rub is occuring.The shop chopped out a large piece of the inner fender plastic panel at the front of each front wheel arch.Also,they slightly adjusted the camber to pull the top of the tire closer to the chasis to gain more clearance(and i mean slightly, so dont panic!)

So far i have no rubs at all,but i only travelled 20 miles or so home from the tire shop.
Fingers crossed,i'll let you all know what the end result is.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

Originally Posted by hooked' post='316281' date='Jul 28 2006, 11:14 AM
Im sure I have LESS traction now because DTC always comes on when i make 40-50mph right angle turns, where as with the run flats on the same street same turn same speed it didn't turn on.

The tires and rims dont rub at all and as far as the offset, these are supposed to be solely designed for the 5.

Im really stuck on this one. Thanks for all the help.

HooKed
ALRIGHT, I SEE YOUR PROBLEM. I DON'T KNOW IF TERM "INDEXING" IS CORRECT, BUT IT'S WHEN THEY ROTATE THE TIRE ON THE RIM. THIS IS DONE TO ELIMINATE HIGH POINTS WHEN THE WHEEL IS IN MOTION. ANYONE CAN MOUNT A TIRE TO A RIM, BUT A REAL GOOD SHOP WILL DO THIS FOR YOU. I'M SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. MY WIFE'S 2006 3'ER GAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. HAD HER WHEELS REBALANCED A FEW TIMES. PROBLEM WAS FIXED BY DOING "INDEXING". HOPE THIS HELPS. LOVE THE WHEELS. NICE LIP FOR A 1 PC RIM
Old 08-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Hope this fixes you up, but I've got to say this once more....
It is darn near impossible to get an accurate balance job on big wheels and tires UNLESS they are done on the car by a qualified tech. Just because a shop has a Hoffman on car balancer does not mean they know how to use it. No offense to others, but realistically, not all 20" tires are true (that means round), and several of these brands mentioned here I wouldn't use on my lawn mower. It is beyond my comprehension that people will spend $1000's on wheels (or get them at a dramatic discount--or free) and then try to sve 3-400 on a set of tires! ANYTHING that is out of spec is going to be magnified by the larger size and usually weight) of the 20' package. That is why the entire mass MUST be balanced on the car.
I guess I'm just constanty amazed that all these California hotshot shops don't offer or recommend on car service for these pakcages that big dollars. My car rides and drives super, even with the big stuff on it (ckeck my sig). Hope your situation is ironed out now, and that others can benefit from this info.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by allenman' post='320350' date='Aug 8 2006, 03:03 PM
Hope this fixes you up, but I've got to say this once more....
It is darn near impossible to get an accurate balance job on big wheels and tires UNLESS they are done on the car by a qualified tech. Just because a shop has a Hoffman on car balancer does not mean they know how to use it. No offense to others, but realistically, not all 20" tires are true (that means round), and several of these brands mentioned here I wouldn't use on my lawn mower. It is beyond my comprehension that people will spend $1000's on wheels (or get them at a dramatic discount--or free) and then try to sve 3-400 on a set of tires! ANYTHING that is out of spec is going to be magnified by the larger size and usually weight) of the 20' package. That is why the entire mass MUST be balanced on the car.
I guess I'm just constanty amazed that all these California hotshot shops don't offer or recommend on car service for these pakcages that big dollars. My car rides and drives super, even with the big stuff on it (ckeck my sig). Hope your situation is ironed out now, and that others can benefit from this info.
I've been meaning to have them balanced on the car but it is hard to find a shop here who does that.
I found one 2 days ago but I'm waiting for my H&R's to get here so I can have it all done at once:

Drop, Alignment and balance.

HooKed