E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AirPlay iphones to I-drive screen it's possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirPlay iphones to I-drive screen it's possible

I used to use a bunch of devices in order to view the content of my iPod or iPhone on to my i-drive. First I needed a media interface, I use one from modmynav that gives u a back up cam and 3 av inputs u can change to with a push of a button in an instant. Second I used a tv out cable to connect I my I device to one of the inputs on the interface. This method allowed me to do things like play my music with cover art on screen watch my movies and music videos even tv with apps like Hulu sling box and Netflix all streaming over my lte data connection on my phone over to my cars idrive screen. All this worked great and I loved it but some of the negatives was the exposed wires and the biggest negative was when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and the advent of the lightning port killed all connection to the car because (at the time there were no tv out cables and the iPhone 5 didn't support tv out) now they have a lightning to hdmi cable, but u still have to find a way to convert hdmi to a/v if you choose to go the wired route.

If you are interested in mirroring your iPhones and iPods wirelessly to your car, a company introduced a new device at ces set to release any day this month that lets you use airplay to view the content from your phone onto the idrive screen if you have a media interface. I think I'm going to look into when it does come out however because the device uses AirPlay you have to connect to it using wifi I am concerned that switching my phone to wifi to connect it will disable my phone Internet connection not allowing me to use all the online apps such as maps Hulu vevo Netflix YouTube that I would want to bring onto the screen hopefully with my jail broken iPhone I can find an app that let's me use wifi and lte data at the same time.

Any way if you're interested in learning more check out these sites to see video of the product in action.

Kivic ONE brings AirPlay to cars at CES

Kivic One

Last edited by spediegunz; 03-08-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

you should be able to do that with a jailbroken iphone5. i use tether me with my iphone 5 and was able to broadcast wifi to my friend so she can facetime on her iphone4s and i was still surfing the web while she was on my wifi. luckily i was on LTE so it wasnt slow. so i say you should be good. but i use sprint, so if a call comes in, it cuts off...cause you can do data and talk at same time. ATT i believe you can.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

so this kivic looks really legit here is a video of someone who beta tested it my only knock on it is that using 4g and wifi at the same time is going to kill you battery rather quickly and therefore you would have to plug your phone in anyway to charge it. if you are gonna have to plug your phone in it defeats the purpose of wireless because everything being shown here can be accomplished with a lightning to hdmi converter that i already use and own in the house

Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

it being wired i don't care as ill rather have it being charged...but mirroring the phone gets annoying, i had a setup like this and i never used it. pandora will show black blocks on the side as they took away the landscape mode. if you do it on regular music, it does look cool...but only be worth it if i can control the ipod with my steering wheel. using the iphone navigation was actually pretty cool because its faster to setup than the stock navi.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

I have a Bluetooth satechi remote that I use in the car it works great it has 2 modes I use it in media mode is straight forward which lets you play pause and and skip tracks but the best part is it has an accessibility mode where you can select items on your spring board using the arrow keys and the select button to enter. its the closest thing I can get to actual steering wheel control I drive knob control. our iPhones have a setting to put them into accessibility mode once set up you just push home 3 times to activate it once on and conbined with the bt remote get full iPhone control with actually having to pick up or look at the iPhone

If I had any smarts or training in coding and software design I'd find a way to update the car to use the I drive knob to navigate the iPhone instead of my remote and I would re route the call button on the wheel to activate Siri when you press and hold. I know some bt ear pieces already upgraded to this feature probably in a year new bmws will have it built in.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

my brother knows about that kind of stuff, i should project with him and see if i can somehow make something to control the ipod/iphone with the idrive knob and wheel buttons. what i was thinking is buying a spare steering wheel face, and cutting my own buttons into it...im actually been trying to find a good donor remote to butch up and do some testing on.