E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Airclick Remote with Generation V iPOD

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:47 AM
nmc
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

The Griffin airclick remote control for the video (latest) iPOD is not yet available in Europe. Have any of our US cousins used one?

I am trying to establish if the new airclick fits in the slot where the Monster charger goes and if so can it be used with Monster and will the whole lot fit in the centre arm rest.

Oh yes, and a Happy New year to one and all.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Happy New Year nmc!

I have the airclick but my iPod is the older 15G unit. The airclick plugs into the earplug port and the Monster charger plugs into the docking port. With both units plugged in, I can't fit it in the phone craddle that's in the center arm rest. You'd have to put it in the bottom compartment. You would probably also need to drill a hole through the arm rest to let the Monster charger line through cause I don't think the arm rest will close with the wire in the way.

For more info and pics, check out this thread from Stream in the DIY forum: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 12-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by nmc' post='217226' date='Dec 30 2005, 07:47 AM
The Griffin airclick remote control for the video (latest) iPOD is not yet available in Europe. Have any of our US cousins used one?

I am trying to establish if the new airclick fits in the slot where the Monster charger goes and if so can it be used with Monster and will the whole lot fit in the centre arm rest.

The airclick for the video iPod uses the dock connector at the bottom of the iPod, and that's where the Monster iCarCharger plugs in, so based on that, and the pic in this link (which indicates there's no dock connector "pass through" on the bottom of the airclick module), I don't believe you can use both at once. I have a iPod with color screen and the airclick module plugs into the top, and I have the Monster iCarCharger plugged into the dock connector, and they do fit in the center console--see link to my iPod hardwire install in EuroCarFan's post above

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/...k/techspecs.php
Old 12-31-2005, 10:01 AM
nmc
Members

My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

Originally Posted by stream' post='217268

The airclick for the video iPod uses the dock connector at the bottom of the iPod, and that's where the Monster iCarCharger plugs in, so based on that, and the pic in this link (which indicates there's no dock connector "pass through" on the bottom of the airclick module), I don't believe you can use both at once. I have a iPod with color screen and the airclick module plugs into the top, and I have the Monster iCarCharger plugged into the dock connector, and they do fit in the center console--see link to my iPod hardwire install in EuroCarFan's post above

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/...k/techspecs.php
[/quote]

I've already got the full installation using the the Monster charger. It was my concern over ordering the new airclick when it's available. It looks like it is going to be a non-runner.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Members

My airclick doesn't work well. The package says that it works up to 60ft away but it barely works 2 feet away. I keep it in the glovebox and the remote is on the holder wrapped around the parking brake. I would think that it would work always from that range. I replaced the battery and that didnt help so I purchased a new one. I guess it will have to do for now.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by nupe009' post='217981' date='Jan 1 2006, 10:37 AM
My airclick doesn't work well. The package says that it works up to 60ft away but it barely works 2 feet away. I keep it in the glovebox and the remote is on the holder wrapped around the parking brake. I would think that it would work always from that range. I replaced the battery and that didnt help so I purchased a new one. I guess it will have to do for now.
I have my iPod in the bottom compartment of the center armrest, and the airclick is in the drivers' door storage shelf, and I haven't had any operation problems.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Contributors

I had bought 2 Airclicks, one for me and one for my wife. I only opened one and installed it in my car...iPod in glove compartment and remote wrapped around emergency brake handle. It worked well for about a month and then stopped working in the morning but will work in the afternoon.... Then it stopped working all together so I bought a new battery for it. Still didn't work. So I took my wife's and installed it and what do you know....ALSO DIDN'T WORK!! I tried pairing and unpairing but that didn't work either.

I took it back to Best Buy but since it was more than a month since I bought it, they told me to contact Griffin. I did and was told to send in only the receiver module that mounts to the iPod for both units, not the remotes. They said they'll probably send me two new ones in about 10 working days. Well, I sent it out on Dec 12th and just got an email from them on the 29th stating they just got it and it'll take another 10 business days to run tests. I replied to their email saying that I was a little pissed. No response yet from them.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='218129' date='Jan 1 2006, 06:49 PM
I had bought 2 Airclicks, one for me and one for my wife. I only opened one and installed it in my car...iPod in glove compartment and remote wrapped around emergency brake handle. It worked well for about a month and then stopped working in the morning but will work in the afternoon.... Then it stopped working all together so I bought a new battery for it. Still didn't work. So I took my wife's and installed it and what do you know....ALSO DIDN'T WORK!! I tried pairing and unpairing but that didn't work either.

I took it back to Best Buy but since it was more than a month since I bought it, they told me to contact Griffin. I did and was told to send in only the receiver module that mounts to the iPod for both units, not the remotes. They said they'll probably send me two new ones in about 10 working days. Well, I sent it out on Dec 12th and just got an email from them on the 29th stating they just got it and it'll take another 10 business days to run tests. I replied to their email saying that I was a little pissed. No response yet from them.
When I first got the airclick, the remote wouldn't work every once in a while and I discovered that the problem was the hold switch (on the right edge) was sliding into hold position, causing none of the buttons to work. The hold switch was pretty loose so it would slide with the slightest (inadvertent) touch. I ended up taking the remote apart (screws on back) and removing the plastic hold switch, so it couldn't move on its own. Perhaps the same thing is happening with yours.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributors

I looked into that as well but it wasn't the case. My hold switch is pretty firm and doesn't slide easily.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Contributors

I have mine for a few months and it works quite well from the beginning.