E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

aFe products

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

I know many of you guys have previous issues with aFe. Such as their product failing, horrible customer service, etc.

I've purchased multiple products from them, and I've never had bad customer service from them. I've purchased a drop-in filter for my 535xi, I was quite happy with it. The car was sold and I bought a 11 M3 and purchased a drop in filter, a Stage 2 replacement using stock box, and then a Stage 2 full replacement. I was quite happy with the products. I did not feel a 'loss in power' as many classify the aFe products as "HAI".

I recently bought a 550i, and I did purchase a aFe full replacement. Although the product did not perform as I thought it would be (as many forum members have previously posted about). I contacted aFe regarding the issue, they responded in a timely manner, and great customer service, they actually ended up allowing for a full refund. They didn't ask me to purchase or 'replace' it with any of their other products, but I insisted on purchasing a drop in with a TBS kit.

I'm posting this up as a review about aFe and I have no affiliation with them.

Again, I can't wait for their product to arrive!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

I don't think it was ever about a customer service issue it was more that their products caused power losses instead of gains.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
I don't think it was ever about a customer service issue it was more that their products caused power losses instead of gains.
yeah, that I understand. Many threads have stated that aFe had horrible customer service and not responsive, and also called them 'crooks'
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

We called them crooks because they put out a product that robbed power and they wouldn't handle the problems.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

We called them crooks because they put out a product that robbed power and they wouldn't handle the problems.
+1
Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

I was looking at the CAI for the N52 as I have a 530xi. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would be buying it for the power gain, minor as I would expect it to be.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

here's the eurotuner article with their e90 m3 build + afe intake system

http://www.eurotuner...ct_m3_makeover/

"...Unfortunately, after five or six runs, we weren't seeing any gains from the new parts. In fact, we were struggling to find the stock output. It was decided that a few miles on the ECU would help it recalibrate to the improved airflow.We returned to aFe's dyno several weeks later and, as the graph shows, we still couldn't find the promised horsepower increase. The aFe personnel were clearly disappointed and suggested a problem with the dyno was a possible cause.

The 'seat of the pants' dyno suggests the V8 has lost a little tractability pulling from low revs in a high gear, but does seem to rev more cleanly through to redline...."

Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

+1

Re "CAI" - Been there, done that. Glad your experience has been positive. Its your car and your money. Spend as you see fit :-)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

That doesn't surprise me, I've never seen any type of air filter system make a noticeable power improvement. More noise yes, more power, no.