E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AFE Intake is here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ordered my AFE cold air intake for my 2004 545i Monday night from R1racer and it just arrived. I will be installing it just as soon as the work day is over. Does anyone that has installed one of these have any advice on the install? Are there any subtleties I need to know about that the instructions may have left out? I hate little problems and set backs when doing things like this ya know? Just want to be prepared. and this is my first mod by the way, I fear I may have awoken a monster!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by akfirepro' post='610052' date='Jun 25 2008, 03:17 PM
So I ordered my AFE cold air intake for my 2004 545i Monday night from R1racer and it just arrived. I will be installing it just as soon as the work day is over. Does anyone that has installed one of these have any advice on the install? Are there any subtleties I need to know about that the instructions may have left out? I hate little problems and set backs when doing things like this ya know? Just want to be prepared. and this is my first mod by the way, I fear I may have awoken a monster!
Danny,

I'm glad you got it today. Call me if you have any problems. The install is very basic. Hope to see pics/video.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

enjoy
Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Silver Grey w/ Sports Package

Not sure if there are other posts regarding my issue but thought I would jump into this one since it was fresh.

Just installed AFE into my 06 550 and it didn't seem to fit as easy as some of you have stated. The mass air sensor connector appears to touch the heat shield on the hood of the car. I am not sure why on the 550 kit the intake tube is one piece (sensor straight up) and the 545 kit is 2 piece and you are able to rotate the sensors location. Is there something I am missing or is there minor differences in 550 engine compartment layout?

Any suggestions....
Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Staright forward install. Instructions come with the AFE and are spot on. Take your time and do it right. Then take it for a test drive and ENJOY!!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by madsoftballman' post='610558' date='Jun 26 2008, 11:21 AM
Not sure if there are other posts regarding my issue but thought I would jump into this one since it was fresh.

Just installed AFE into my 06 550 and it didn't seem to fit as easy as some of you have stated. The mass air sensor connector appears to touch the heat shield on the hood of the car. I am not sure why on the 550 kit the intake tube is one piece (sensor straight up) and the 545 kit is 2 piece and you are able to rotate the sensors location. Is there something I am missing or is there minor differences in 550 engine compartment layout?

Any suggestions....
That is not what I want to hear......I just ordered one today from r1racer for my 550 (thanks for your help by the way), and hope to not run into problems with the install as well. If anyone has any suggestions or has installed in 550 before, please shed their advice.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

i installed the AFe intake on my 550 also. The install isnt very difficult, just make sure you have the right tools before hand. One issue that i ran across was the fitment of the tubes and clamps. When i first drove, the intake sounded nice and aggressive and then it stopped making that great sound. Later on i checked the clamps and there was a leak. So my advice would be once you have it installed make sure the clamps are on tight and recheck them after you have driven it for a day or two. Just my .2cents
Old 06-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

o and also the instruction paper may not be very clear due to the print, so it would be best to see the instructions on the website for more clarity or each step.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Silver Grey w/ Sports Package

I also ran into an issue as well with the clamps and couplers. On the installation guide I believe they have couplers A and B reversed as the fit is much better using A for B and vise versa. In the case of the coupler to the throttle body the more you tighten the clamp the coupler actually gets squeezed off.

I re-worked everything tonight and I'm confident that all is ok.

Will keep this thread informed if other issues arise.

I am pleased with the tone of the exhaust. It is very subtle with reserved driving but when you slam down on the peddle the exhaust comes to life. Dr. Jeykel and Mr. Hyde
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by madsoftballman' post='610558' date='Jun 26 2008, 11:21 AM

Any suggestions....

I just installed my AFE intake on my 08 550. Not too hard. Actually kind of fun. I see what you mean by the air sensor sticking straight up. I don't think mine is touching the undersurface of the hood though. I put my sensor cover back on. I don't think that the one piece tube is bent correctly. It fit with the rubber couplers but not as straight as stock did. All in all not too hard of a mod. Haven't had a chance to really drive the car, just started and let run for a minute to make sure I don't get any errors or rough idle.

Quick Reply: AFE Intake is here!!!