E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AFE Cold Air Intake Or is all this just hot air??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live in a hot area, you lose. Ive driven in -35 with an AFE and I can say its improves the hp. Butt dyno!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi
If you live in a hot area, you lose. Ive driven in -35 with an AFE and I can say its improves the hp. Butt dyno!
a "butt" dyno is not a good way to justify spending money on a performance part
Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
we arent against AFE and pro RPI

we are against products that only make gains in unrealistic measurings and testings and pro products that actually test their products the way we drive under normal driving conditions

if you "think" you gained anything then i suggest having it dynoed with the hood closed and let heatsoak set in

thats real world, nobody drives their cars with the hood open and for 3 minutes.
LOL
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Read through this entire thread and you will learn exactly why open intakes like aFe LOSE HP. https://5series.net/forums/topic/819...made-w-photos/
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

If you want more HP dont get the Afe.
I own it because it sounds sick with my rdsport quad exhasut setup. So many people have told me
that they love the way my car sounds.

The way I look at it,I lose power, but I only have a 545i. A fast car, but not the fastest on the road.
There are so many cars on the road that can smoke me, especially the newer cars coming out from various companies.
The only way to really get a big notice of acceleration is from boost(t/c or s/c) or juice(nos). But i dont know if anyone is doing a s/c for the 545i anymore.

If you want crazy power you can do what I wanna do, get a low mileage E46 M3 and take it to HPF
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by ModBargains

I'ts a good system designed to gain power and increase gas mileage, I definitely recommend it!

Kevin

Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

youre best bet is to get a BMC filter, RPI scoops and maybe a tune or flash with RPI exhaust

thats really all you can do for our engines without a SC or turbo
I have RPI scoop+BMC filter on my car and I feel increased power across the entire range.

it might help if Kevin over at Modbargains actually knew what he was talking about though

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
was just about to say the same

Originally Posted by rolly888
lol

yes this forum is against AFE and is pro RPI ....lol ...

i suggest to do searches outside this forum for the validity of the RPI/Trinity/AFE arguments.
Links?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

we arent against AFE and pro RPI

we are against products that only make gains in unrealistic measurings and testings and pro products that actually test their products the way we drive under normal driving conditions

if you "think" you gained anything then i suggest having it dynoed with the hood closed and let heatsoak set in

thats real world, nobody drives their cars with the hood open and for 3 minutes.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
links to the research you have gathered? I've spent time on other forums as well researching, and thru all the BS and fanboy postings....closed intake systems (like our OEM box) appear to produce better numbers consistently than open air/"cold" intakes. Especially under real world/closed hood conditions....
Exactly!

Daym, G, you're on a roll

Originally Posted by jdcinc21
If you want more HP dont get the Afe.
I own it because it sounds sick with my rdsport quad exhasut setup. So many people have told me
that they love the way my car sounds.

The way I look at it,I lose power, but I only have a 545i. A fast car, but not the fastest on the road.
There are so many cars on the road that can smoke me, especially the newer cars coming out from various companies.
The only way to really get a big notice of acceleration is from boost(t/c or s/c) or juice(nos). But i dont know if anyone is doing a s/c for the 545i anymore.

If you want crazy power you can do what I wanna do, get a low mileage E46 M3 and take it to HPF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXMOiq8IWpg
So basically, you were saying that you're a glorified poser? hahaha
Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by rolly888
sorry buT i do not believe that! Iam running AFE and I can feel the POSITIVE difference in power. Also they have chart showing more than 11hp gain. And AFE is well known for quality products.
And apparently for false advertising as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Members

So the i assume the RPI sccop with the BMC.. and realisticly speaking what is the highest HP to be expected from a 545i i was shooting for upper 300's. i mean thats a fast car, not super fast sounds good ( well as soon as i bolt on the RPI set up) but all in all i don't want or need a race car.. if i wanted that i wouldn't have purchased a four door i would have kept my e46. I wanted a sedan with a punch and i think the 545i meets that criteria it may not be a punch from GSP like that of the M5 but i think its enough.

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake Or is all this just hot air??