E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AFE Cold Air Intake Or is all this just hot air??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rolly888
AFE is the way to go + be sure that you have good airflow (you can add scoops) and maybe hood with openings to extract hot air (when car is in slow motion)
Air coming from outside does not have time to warmup when you ride!
you know what they say about a sucker being born every minute....

Dont get the AFE intake, its a joke. stick to the scoops and bmc filter from trinity. that setup has proven gains with the hood closed unlike the AFE intake. I guess you could get the AFE intake, just remember to remove your hood.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl
you know what they say about a sucker being born every minute....

Dont get the AFE intake, its a joke. stick to the scoops and bmc filter from trinity. that setup has proven gains with the hood closed unlike the AFE intake. I guess you could get the AFE intake, just remember to remove your hood.
sorry buT i do not believe that! Iam running AFE and I can feel the POSITIVE difference in power. Also they have chart showing more than 11hp gain. And AFE is well known for quality products.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Contributors

sorry buT i do not believe that! Iam running AFE and I can feel the POSITIVE difference in power. Also they have chart showing more than 11hp gain. And AFE is well known for quality products.
thats good you've had a good experience with your the afe product but you might be one out of 25ish around here. people on this forum were giving away afe intakes...you can search for the threads and read the hundreds of replies from unsatisfied customers.

i myself have never owned the intake, i just jumped on the bandwagon while it was hot....hopefully we dont crash into a wall
Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

I personally had the Dinan Intake with custome RPi Scoops.

THE BEST way to maximize air flow is to get the RPi scoop

Originally Posted by ModBargains

I'ts a good system designed to gain power and increase gas mileage, I definitely recommend it!

Kevin
LOL! AFE LOSES HP. This has been discussed and TESTED many times. Please stop trying to sell something that loses HP :thumbsdown:

Originally Posted by CampioniShop
Open air intakes on modern BMW are extremely overrated in my personal experience. These intakes make for great dynos but in real world situations, where you actually drive with the hood closed and the engine is under constant heat stress they do not provide anywhere close to advertised gains.

Modern BMWs have extremely well designed closed intake designs and the best way to usually improve on these designs is to:
1. Increase overall volume
2. Use a panel hi flow replacement filter
3. Add/modify the boxes for better air flow (read scoops)
+1
Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Members

Wow dude...I'm new to the forum and all, but sheesh there is about a 1000 page thread on the AFE intake with all the information one could want on how it actually reduces engine power. My 550 had one installed and when the dealer CPO'd it he gave it to me for free...said it was junk. I came here read my eyes out then sold it on eBay faster than you could say getthiscrapouttahere.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Victory
Wow dude...I'm new to the forum and all, but sheesh there is about a 1000 page thread on the AFE intake with all the information one could want on how it actually reduces engine power. My 550 had one installed and when the dealer CPO'd it he gave it to me for free...said it was junk. I came here read my eyes out then sold it on eBay faster than you could say getthiscrapouttahere.
lol

yes this forum is against AFE and is pro RPI ....lol ...

i suggest to do searches outside this forum for the validity of the RPI/Trinity/AFE arguments.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributors

lol

i suggest to do searches outside this forum for the validity of the RPI/Trinity/AFE arguments.
we arent against AFE and pro RPI

we are against products that only make gains in unrealistic measurings and testings and pro products that actually test their products the way we drive under normal driving conditions

if you "think" you gained anything then i suggest having it dynoed with the hood closed and let heatsoak set in

thats real world, nobody drives their cars with the hood open and for 3 minutes.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

lol

links to the research you have gathered? I've spent time on other forums as well researching, and thru all the BS and fanboy postings....closed intake systems (like our OEM box) appear to produce better numbers consistently than open air/"cold" intakes. Especially under real world/closed hood conditions....
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

Originally Posted by ModBargains

I'ts a good system designed to gain power and increase gas mileage, I definitely recommend it!

Kevin
hey...

i wanna buy 3 of these

invoice me

need to test out which way of burning these produces the biggest flame
Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

This reminds me, when was that golden corral meet fellas?

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake Or is all this just hot air??