E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Advice Needed from You guys PLSSSS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello everyone
I have been lurking on this site for a while now and I am REALLYY impressed with the amount of knowledge that everyone seems to hold and I am going to take the plunge and by an E60!!!
Here is the dilemma that I have
I live in New York-Long Island area
The roads here are ok and not very good but we deal with them
The snow is is pretty annoying
I dont know what to buy
530xi or a 545i
The reason I lean towards an XI is becasue of the all wheel drive but its slower and its a 530 versus a 545i

I am definatley going to get 20's on my car for the summer time------hows the ride on the 20's and if I get forged rims------do you think I will bend them or scratch them bc of the lack of the sidewall----any reccoomeanditons of a tires that has good amount of sidewall so I have my comfort zone between my rims and the ground---basically when I hit some pothole I dont wanna scratch or dent my rims

My friends tell me that I should go with a 545i and put winter tires on my stock rims and I should be more than fine in the snow in the months of Decemeber, Jan and Feb, but my question is will I lose any handling or any of that with winter tires when I take off my rims
Is it driveable in the snow and whats the best tires for the winter but still able to drive in the dry weather of the winter as well
Also can I tell my dealer that I want winter tires on a 545i verus summer tires bc I am gonna put rims on my car

The price is not really an issue when it comes to both cars because I want either one to be FULLY optioned out and what not
One other quick quesion for you experts out there
It might sound dumb........but during the winter time can I take off my front add on breyton or ACS and put back the original for about 3 monts because I dont want to scratch it up during the winter
Wow this thread is getting LONGGG
sorry guyss
Here are my plans for my car
I want to either put DPE or IFORGED 20's- but maybe 19's-not sure bc the ride and the sidewall might be an issue when I hit pothole---any reccomendations on a tire company would be good or personal experiences
I want to put a BREYTON FRONT ADD ON LIP- but not sure bc dont wanna mess it up during the winter time but I REALLYY like it and its pretty cheap-----is it glue on or bolt on????
I want to put 2 headrest TV and 12W7 which I already have for my car
As for the options in my car
Its gonna go somehting like this hopefully
PRM PKG
NAV
LOGIC 7
HUD
REAR HTD SEATS
SPORT PKG
COLD WEATHER PKG
XENONS
SMG----- not sure------is there an automatic mode for the SMG where you dont need to shift bc my friend has an M3 and he has a mode which makes it drive like an automatic car and doesnt even need to shift
and I dont think Im missing anything else
SORRY ABT THE LONGGG THREAD
ANY INFO, COMMENTS ON ANYTHING OR HELP IS GREATLYYYYYYYYY APPRECIATED AND IF I THINK OF ANY OTHER CONCERNS I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW
JUST NEEDED TO VENT MY FRUSTRATIONSSS
I KNOW THIS IS DEF A CONFUSING THREAD
LOL
Old 03-13-2005, 04:09 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Welcome!! You have a strange name for these parts. A Benz fan?

Also, please don't go by the car...buy it...you be much happier!! From your question, the only risk I can see is if you have the sport option. It's much easier to bend rims in that car (545 or 530) since you sit a bit lower in it. Good luck.

Sam

P.S. Sorry, I noticed you corrected the by vs buy issue later in your post.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

For one thing, I would never consider the 530xi in place of the 545. (I only have a 530 for the record).

If you get some good winter tires and wheels for them, you will have NO problem in snow. REALLY.

I was worried about a rear wheel car here in Ohio during the winters as I've only had front wheel drive cars in the past. However, I got Blizzak LM-22s and have not slipped anywhere at anytime this winter. We have nearly identical winters as NYC/Long Island area (I lived there before coming here).

If you get a 545 with winter tires, you can even get grippier ones than the LM-22s (Bridgestone makes an even better snow called the LM-50) if you were really worried.

But with the 530 dragging around 4 wheels to power, you'll loose tons of torque and even less that a regular 530. The comparison against the 545 is not even fair. The 545 will be a better car and much more fun.

Please, get the 545 and some great winter tires will be great for you!
Old 03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I have Michelin snow tires on 17 inch wheels and the car is fantastic in snow. Its not quite as good as my wife's Subaru, but I can outaccelerate most Pickups and 2 wheel drive SUVs on snow. Handling and breaking are very good, too. I would go for the 545i. The automatic mode of my SMG - in short - sucks! But I never really use it anyway.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I'm in NY as well. I went with 17" wheels and winter tires (Michelin Alpina PS2). I have not had any trouble at all all winter, despite lots of snow. Obviously, there is some loss of dry road performance, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Michelins handle. Most with "high performance" winters report teh same results.

I have not ridden on 20's, but I would guess the ride would get very harsh.

As far as the SMG, I love it. It does have an auto mode, but I do not use it at all. Auto mode is not smooth, and if you intend to use it allot, I would opt for the Step. Do a search for SMG to see the many comments on plus/minus of SMG.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 AM
Members

wat abt the front lip u guyzz??????????
Old 03-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Contributors

The front lip can be removed. It's glued on...but I wouldn't be doing it after every season. You risk damaging it. BTW I wouldn't bother with thw 20's or 19's for that matter. I'm from the Quuens, Nassau area myself. I had 19's on my previous 540. I simply killed the rims and I happen to be a careful driver as well. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

For the amout of modifications you are planning on doing, the first modification I would do would go for the 545 vs. 530. You can do a lot with a 530, but the money spent on a 545 will give you more satisfaction in the long run.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Members

545 Any day... just get snow tires. V8 is a V8!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Mar 14 2005, 12:50 PM
For the amout of modifications you are planning on doing, the first modification I would do would go for the 545 vs. 530.? You can do a lot with a 530, but the money spent on a 545 will give you more satisfaction in the long run.
[snapback]101333[/snapback]
He's right.. part of the reasons of my mods on my car is because it's a 530 not a 545i. So actually the 545i is much more worth to get.. Good luck !

Quick Reply: Advice Needed from You guys PLSSSS