E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='724275' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:36 AM
You have to remember that I did not rewire my car for the amp or the speakers and so used all the original wires. Check my first thread for the gauges of all the wires. I did buy BMW wires from the dealers and you can find that on realoem.com too. See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=61&fg=10

The 2 plugs and 4 contacts are used to connect the Earthquake speakers to the wiring harness that is already present underneath the seats. With the OEM speakers the plugs go straight into the speakers but with the Earthquakes you need a mate for that to make the solution plug and play. You still need the spade connectors on the speaker side.

I've not upgraded the tweater themselves because I felt that was fine. But if you say you've heard good things about the L7 tweaters then go for it and update this thread for all the know.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. Are you saying that I only need to configure the new 20-pin connector and get the plugs and contacts to connect the new subs?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Yes, so what you are doing is simply building an interface between the current plugs both for the subs and the amp to the new subs and amp.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='724980' date='Nov 19 2008, 03:10 AM
Yes, so what you are doing is simply building an interface between the current plugs both for the subs and the amp to the new subs and amp.
Thanks again for your info and patience. Just so I'm clear, I will build the plug as you described, disconnecting the existing plug on the stock amp and connecting it to your modified plug. That's all, no further wiring. Amp done!

The last thing I would ask (hopefully) is for you to take a look at the manual for the Earthquake Sub 300W.2. I'm ok with the connections but needed some guidance on general settings to start with. I've not had to configure a sub before and haven't a clue on what settings I should start with.

Here's the link: http://www.earthquakesound.com/IMAGEJP/CAR...Bass_Manual.pdf

Thanks again Bruce!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='501783' date='Dec 2 2007, 04:20 PM
Lesson 2 : Amplifier placement and install.

This was probably the most time consuming task in terms of getting the right sized amp that could fit somewhere discreet. And where more discreetly could I put this besides where the current amp is. However any amp that is capable of driving a 150W RMW subwoofer is almost never going to fit where the stock amp is. But I came up with a solution.

I don't have any extra units over my left wheel arc so there was a lot of place there. Besides that is the best place for anything that needs to stay cool because there are air flaps just over the wheels.
Attachment 41427
After many months of looking at eBay I finally found an amp that was both the right size and power.
I built a platform for the amp out of some mdf, made some brackets out of aluminium and it was a perfect fit. You will notice that there are screw sockets already in there and I made use of them itself without drilling a single hole into the chassis. The black hex nuts that I used are BMW OEM Parts No 07119902932.
Attachment 41428
Attachment 41429
I needed to use right angled phono sockets so that the entire thing would fit in.
Attachment 41430
I had also realised that my standard left wheel boot trim would not work but Radioham let me have trim that is used for the cars with the DVD changer etc BMW part no 51477122193 and oddment tray 51477074479. This is not a picture from my car but you see the part I'm talking about here (forgot to take a picture of this part before it got dark today).
Attachment 41431
Once done there is no signs of an aftermarket amp. I've yet to tune the system because I've yet to install my sub-woofers. That will become Lesson 3.
hi bruce

i need some advise on the install of your custom system. i have read this topic through and feel confident that i can too install my own custom system

i have the basic UK setup (IE no amp)

after doing some research i have opted to go for the kit below:

2 x SWS 8 (?90 each)
2 x L7 Tweeters (?45.96 each)
1 x Blaukpunkt Amp THA555 (?260.78)
1 x lead 7607622016 (?19.96)
1 x lead 7607622011 (?49.91)
1 x BMW trim 51477122193 (?55)
1 X BMW tray for trim 514770744 (?6)

that setup should cost about ?650

the amp is a plug and play sort so there no soldering of any sort, just used the leads 7607622016 and 7607622011 to install amp. its a 5 channel amp, 4 channels to do the 4 mids and tweeters and the remaining channel is mono will do the SWS8

my question is that the dimensions for this amp are Dimensions (w x h x d) 355 x 41 x 159 mm, will this amp fit in where you have fitted yours? the reason i ask is that i haven't purchased the BMW trim 51477122193 yet so therefore can't calculate the correct depth.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

If you don't have the HI-FI system this job is going to be one hell of a wiring mess. You must remember that your current underseat speakers are connected in parallel with the front doors where-as in the HI-FI the wiring comes to the back of the car. Also you will need to check which speakers to take your input from remembering that its the HU that is crossing over everything so depending on where you take your High inputs from you may not get the tweeters and Sub to sound nice.
Also I'm not sure if putting in a mono signal to the two subs will ruin the stereo imagining in the car or not. I'll measure the space you have available for your amp tonight when I'm back home.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Without the Hifi option, it should be easier!

- You have to order the Blaupunkt cable designed for BMW. plug this cable between the HU (M-ASK or CCC) and guide the cable to the trunk. Don't forget to feed the amp directly from the battery.
- Place speaker cables from the mono output to the under-seat Earthquake's, and you are ready to go.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='769387' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:39 PM
If you don't have the HI-FI system this job is going to be one hell of a wiring mess. You must remember that your current underseat speakers are connected in parallel with the front doors where-as in the HI-FI the wiring comes to the back of the car. Also you will need to check which speakers to take your input from remembering that its the HU that is crossing over everything so depending on where you take your High inputs from you may not get the tweeters and Sub to sound nice.
Also I'm not sure if putting in a mono signal to the two subs will ruin the stereo imagining in the car or not. I'll measure the space you have available for your amp tonight when I'm back home.
hi Bruce

this amp is designed for the job, ie the lead 7607622016 has 3 ends on it, a bit like a t-junction. i end goes straight into the CCC and you plug your original BMW lead into the other end of the lead 7607622016. one remaining end is left, then lead number 7607622011 is a 5.5 meter extension, so i will attach this into the remaining end of lead 7607622016. this will give the lead a 5.5 meter length allowing me to put the amp where you have placed it.

the two leads do the job of say what a JL Clean sweep would do, but high level straight into the amp. PLUG AND PLAY FOR THIS CAR!!!

have a look at http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/amplifier_4.asp for the amp

and http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/pnp_...ref=7607622016 for the leads

Actually the only wiring i will re-do is new wire from the sub to the amp. ie the mids will no longer be in parallel with the new subs.

Personally i think this will be the simplest way to install a new and equal system to the L7
Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by parmblagan' post='769377' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:24 PM
my question is that the dimensions for this amp are Dimensions (w x h x d) 355 x 41 x 159 mm, will this amp fit in where you have fitted yours? the reason i ask is that i haven't purchased the BMW trim 51477122193 yet so therefore can't calculate the correct depth.

Thanks
The dimensions look as though they can fit because you have 23cm depth and about 35cm width to fit something in. But I've just looked at the picture of the amp and you may actually have a problem because of the plugs and connections on the length of the amp because that will make your depth more than the space available. As mentioned the longest part of my project was to find an amp that would fit that space and my amp has the connections at both ends instead of the length.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='769899' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:36 AM
The dimensions look as though they can fit because you have 23cm depth and about 35cm width to fit something in. But I've just looked at the picture of the amp and you may actually have a problem because of the plugs and connections on the length of the amp because that will make your depth more than the space available. As mentioned the longest part of my project was to find an amp that would fit that space and my amp has the connections at both ends instead of the length.

thanks bruce for the promt reply, basically you mentioned that i have about 7.1cm to get the RCA, Power etc leads in. my other concern is that from your pics in the thread earlier it seems that the new BMW trim sits on top the amp, or so where near the top face of the amp you installed. Do you think that this amp has the correct height of 41mm.

also what do you think of this set up, do you think it will sound as good as the L7 or better for a fraction of the price? (cost about ?650 for all hardware)

did you change your stock mids and tops?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Contributors

I only changed the subs, everything else is stock. Dont expect to get L7 quality without the L7 processing unit. All you are doing is making things louder - not better. You should not have a problem with the height there is enough room there for that amp.

Quick Reply: Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play