E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Steering is the real deal!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does active steering mean you automatically have ARS? If so there's a box on the pass side of the engine bay with many hydraulic hoses attachedthat says "active steering"
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Does active steering mean you automatically have ARS? If so there's a box on the pass side of the engine bay with many hydraulic hoses attachedthat says "active steering"

if it was that easy to determine whether or not I have active steering then I do have it then since I have something on that side with too many damn hoses. The weird part is that this does not show up as an option for the car through the VIN when I ran it back then prior to the purchase. It didn't even have ARS listed, only sport suspension and dynamic drive (whatever that means).

226 SPORTS SUSPENSION SETTINGS
229 DYNAMIC DRIVE

I just posted my VIN again in the DIY forum so another forum member can pull out all the options again to verify with the list that I have.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
I have that part #12 and to my understanding that's for the ARS. Mine was leaking long time ago when it was still under warranty so it was replaced by the dealer. Now how can I tell if I have active steering?

Hey,
watch split screen video, do you hack it like the guy on the right or are your forearms bruisin' like the guy on the left?

Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

Update.
Hmm, found my VIN option printout from purchase.....guess what?? I do have Active Roll Stabization as part of ZSP (Sport Package) code 229 (ARS)!!!

I recall even with stock suspension, there is some body roll in hard-cornering. With Bilsteins CO's, there none.

So really, it's the Active Steering that had the surreal smoothness, Somewhat detached feedback.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
if it was that easy to determine whether or not I have active steering then I do have it then since I have something on that side with too many damn hoses. The weird part is that this does not show up as an option for the car through the VIN when I ran it back then prior to the purchase. It didn't even have ARS listed, only sport suspension and dynamic drive (whatever that means).

226 SPORTS SUSPENSION SETTINGS
229 DYNAMIC DRIVE

I just posted my VIN again in the DIY forum so another forum member can pull out all the options again to verify with the list that I have.
Dynamic Drive = ARS

You've got the active stabilizers. Just drive a non Dynamic Drive E60 and you'll know the difference right away.