E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Steering is the real deal!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

here is a test of the active roll system. esentially thats how the system performs in the turns.

+http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngOjtS5WQ4o
Old 07-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

wow that is sick...this leads to my next question, wouldn't that ruin your suspension faster though similar to the air suspension of the Mercedes? Of course for the CPO people, it wouldn't be a problem but I just can't imagine a 100K miles old suspension can handle it in the long run.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
wow that is sick...this leads to my next question, wouldn't that ruin your suspension faster though similar to the air suspension of the Mercedes? Of course for the CPO people, it wouldn't be a problem but I just can't imagine a 100K miles old suspension can handle it in the long run.
the ARS only changes the anti-roll bar. the rest of the suspension is the same as standard. so basically, instead of the car having a solid steel anti-sway bar, you have one that can twist, via the power steering fluid and pump, and some electronics.
the above video shows a test of the ARS. when you're actually driving, the system works to prevent body roll. the ARS really doesnt put more wear or strain on the suspension.

this video shows a brief description of the anti-sway bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBPc9748xQ
Old 07-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

do you happen to know what option code is for the ARS on our model? I have a similar looking unit up front underneath the car. I don't think it's active steering though because I doubt my car moves side to side like that while turning.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dantheman1
I LOVE my active steering. I can't imagine driving a car without it, it's just so smooth and precise.
Do you know if you have Active Roll Stablelizatjion too?

Originally Posted by umichchris
i have active steering in my car...a couple times the system went out (along with the Dynamic Drive Control System) and it handled like an old school cadillac.

i also drove my brothers 525i that has almost no options and of course does not have active steering, and damn.....could barely tell we owned a car on the same platform. i thought in my head 'how does he drive this thing?' (no offense to others w/o it).

i have 20s and my car is lowered on springs 2" past the original sport suspension and my car still handles like a dream....i love it....tho im mostly only using that handling for dodging potholes lol
I know exactly what you mean, now that i am learning more. I actually think it's the Active Roll Stablelizatjion that I am impressed with!

damn I don't have active steering so do not know how it feels like...need to find someone who does to compare. Should have checked the available options for my year more thoroughly before I bought it.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
I like it but I can do without wouldn't bother me
Have you driven E60 without it?

Originally Posted by turboawd
here is a test of the active roll system. esentially thats how the system performs in the turns.

+http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngOjtS5WQ4o
Wow!

Originally Posted by turboawd
the ARS only changes the anti-roll bar. the rest of the suspension is the same as standard. so basically, instead of the car having a solid steel anti-sway bar, you have one that can twist, via the power steering fluid and pump, and some electronics.
the above video shows a test of the ARS. when you're actually driving, the system works to prevent body roll. the ARS really doesnt put more wear or strain on the suspension.

this video shows a brief description of the anti-sway bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBPc9748xQ
This is the real deal!

Do you know if Active Steering and Active roll stabilization options part of the same package? Can one option be offered without the other?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

I think I have active roll stabilization but doubt I have active steering. In fact I know for sure I have ARS since I had to replace it when it was leaking fluid under warranty.

Does anyone know how to find out if one has active steering?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by G530
Do you know if you have Active Roll Stablelizatjion too?

Well, I don't think the 550i sport had an option for active roll stab. since it has lowered suspension bits from the M5. The AS though is definitely there. The only non-maintanence reason I've been to the dealer was to have an active steering sensor in the steering column replaced (apparently a common issue), it was weird driving to the dealer without active steering and warnings flashing on the idrive saying to be careful while driving lol.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

do you happen to know what option code is for the ARS on our model? I have a similar looking unit up front underneath the car. I don't think it's active steering though because I doubt my car moves side to side like that while turning.
the test makes the car move side to side. but when you're actually driving, the ARS does the opposite, and prevents the car from rolling, to keep the car level in the turns.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dantheman1
Well, I don't think the 550i sport had an option for active roll stab. since it has lowered suspension bits from the M5. The AS though is definitely there. The only non-maintanence reason I've been to the dealer was to have an active steering sensor in the steering column replaced (apparently a common issue), it was weird driving to the dealer without active steering and warnings flashing on the idrive saying to be careful while driving lol.
my 06 550i sport has both active steering and roll system. i think ARS is not available on the x-drive models though.

Quick Reply: Active Steering is the real deal!!