E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Steering is the real deal!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboawd
my 06 550i sport has both active steering and roll system. i think ARS is not available on the x-drive models though.

After doing some reading through the 2008 550i sport brochure, it seems as through the sport package comes standard with the M sports tuned suspension with Active Roll Stabilization. So... I guess my car does indeed have those fancy roll bars, cool! Learn something new everyday. Also, just fyi, the 2008+ sports have a completely revised suspension from the older sports. The active steering is an option though on the sports. Luckily, mine has it!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dantheman1
After doing some reading through the 2008 550i sport brochure, it seems as through the sport package comes standard with the M sports tuned suspension with Active Roll Stabilization. So... I guess my car does indeed have those fancy roll bars, cool! Learn something new everyday. Also, just fyi, the 2008+ sports have a completely revised suspension from the older sports. The active steering is an option though on the sports. Luckily, mine has it!

Lucky Dawg! I'd kick myself so hard if I had that option and turned it down.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Senior Members

Just came across this:

Active roll stabilization uses a hydraulic coupling in the middle of the stabilizer bars. This unit decouples when the car is going straight, allowing the suspension to be more compliant and the ride to be softer. When you make a turn, the stabilizer bars reconnect and keep body lean in check.

All of the technical sleight of hand happens without the driver ever being aware that anything is going on. The car carves through turns with precision while feeling arrow-straight on flat sections.

http://www.tomstrongman.com/RoadTests/BMW530i/

Maybe there's a part number for this "hydraulic coupling in the middle of the stabilizer bars". If this is all, then it would be a simple mod for a smoother ride folks!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by G530
Just came across this:

Active roll stabilization uses a hydraulic coupling in the middle of the stabilizer bars. This unit decouples when the car is going straight, allowing the suspension to be more compliant and the ride to be softer. When you make a turn, the stabilizer bars reconnect and keep body lean in check.

All of the technical sleight of hand happens without the driver ever being aware that anything is going on. The car carves through turns with precision while feeling arrow-straight on flat sections.

http://www.tomstrongman.com/RoadTests/BMW530i/

Maybe there's a part number for this "hydraulic coupling in the middle of the stabilizer bars". If this is all, then it would be a simple mod for a smoother ride folks!
if it were only that easy. lol
that hydraulic coupling is operated with hydraulic fluid, supplied by lines coming from the power steering pump, and going through a control module. its not an easy thing to retrofit.
example of some of the parts needed:
Attached Thumbnails Active Steering is the real deal!!-q1.png   Active Steering is the real deal!!-q2.png  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

Yeah, came to that realization.

Crap! Lot's of difference in componemts for Active Roll Stablelizaion. Too much $$$

http://www.realoem.c...119&hg=33&fg=45

http://www.realoem.c...119&hg=31&fg=10

Okay, maybe there is an aftermarket Stabilizer bar with this concept of hydraulic coupling. Vendors R&D opportunity here?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have a 2005 545i with Sports Package, and therefore the car came with Active Steering.
Overall I like the feature. To me, it basically means that in city driving I don't need to turn the wheel as much to make it around corners.

The downsides to Active Steering has been that it konked out on me a few times, and has been rather expensive to fix.

When I first took delivery of my car, the steering wheel was about 30 degrees off-center. So I had to take the car back to get the Active Steering reset.
Then, over the next 4 years there were probably 4 or 5 episodes where the same thing happened. Steering wheel got off-center and the iDrive displayed the Active Steering Malfunction warning. Sometimes it would correct itself, but other times I took it to the dealer and they reset it.
I have read the owner's manual and followed their instructions to reset the steering myself, but it never worked. Always had to get dealer to fix it.

About 10,000 miles after my warranty expired, the Active Steering went out again. I took it to my preferred mechanic (non-dealership) but there was nothing he could do because Active Steering is a completely different animal. Only the dealer could service it.
The dealer said they had to replace the AS control module and reprogram. Cost was nearly $2000. :thumbsdown:

I am not sure whether I would get this feature on a future car, because of the issues I have had. But I do like the effect it has on the driving experience.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

Thats a huge bill! But it could happen to any part of the powertrain and supporting components. Basically, the more features they pack into a machine, the more chance of something breaking and without warranty, it's a dose of reality.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Is there an easy tell-tale sign or way you can tell if you have AS and/or ARS? I have an 07 530i w/Sports & Premium...were the AS or ARS included in either of those packages in 2007?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

The car I test drove was 2006 530i and it had Active Steering and ARS. At first, I didn't give it much attention b/c I had a 2006 530i before and thought the Sport suspension with 18's runflats performed poorly on crappy roads.

But this 06 530i has Active Steering and ARS and it felt like a true luxury car. I was digging the ride comfort so much I didn't care about acceleration.

Not really an easy telltale sign, but take a look and see if your FRONT or REAR STABILIZER BAR has the hydraulic (#12)

Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

I have that part #12 and to my understanding that's for the ARS. Mine was leaking long time ago when it was still under warranty so it was replaced by the dealer. Now how can I tell if I have active steering?

Quick Reply: Active Steering is the real deal!!