E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Steering is the real deal!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently test drove an E60 with AS and I was speechless! I'd always thought my 535i is the car I'd want to own til the end. It has speed, comfort, swagger and you guys know the rest....

Yeah, it doesnt have some other options I'd like eg headup display, adaptive cruise control or even Nav, but the one option I think I can not do without is Active Steering!! The car was SO SMOOTH, it was surreal how just another sports suspension 530i felt so comfy (even with 20 inch rims) and so smooth. Steering/suspension response was almost like coilovers setup with minimum roll, nimble. It was a world apart from mine without this option. Man! I wish it's an option I can install. It'll be the best mod yet.

How many folks here have AS and appreciates it or have you driven one without it to appreciate it? Thanks!

Oops! thread will likely be moved to E60 Discusion.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Active Steering and I hate it!!! jk. I was pretty bummed one of the rear lower Ultra Racing bars I ordered wouldn't fit because the active steering got in the way. But yeah I haven't driven an E60 that doesn't have AS so I can't really compare it to one.
I can say that with one of the rear lower UR bars installed, and the front strut bar installed the handling is amazing now. I plan on ordering the front lower bar in the next week or so, can't wait!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

active steering is pretty awesome, but i'm more amazed with the active roll system. i can take a corner real fast, and the car hardly leans at all.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

I have you man! Wanna switch car? LOL
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

You can retrofit everything, but in this case $$$$$$$$/???????? on time and job to understand which parts you'd need.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
active steering is pretty awesome, but i'm more amazed with the active roll system. i can take a corner real fast, and the car hardly leans at all.
Nice!! Maybe that's the other component I wasn't aware of in conjunction to AS b/c Steering/suspension response was almost like coilovers setup with minimum roll on OEM Sports suspension.

Originally Posted by AlexFW
You can retrofit everything, but in this case $$$$$$$$/???????? on time and job to understand which parts you'd need.

Really? Hmm...
Old 07-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

I LOVE my active steering. I can't imagine driving a car without it, it's just so smooth and precise.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i have active steering in my car...a couple times the system went out (along with the Dynamic Drive Control System) and it handled like an old school cadillac.

i also drove my brothers 525i that has almost no options and of course does not have active steering, and damn.....could barely tell we owned a car on the same platform. i thought in my head 'how does he drive this thing?' (no offense to others w/o it).

i have 20s and my car is lowered on springs 2" past the original sport suspension and my car still handles like a dream....i love it....tho im mostly only using that handling for dodging potholes lol
Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

damn I don't have active steering so do not know how it feels like...need to find someone who does to compare. Should have checked the available options for my year more thoroughly before I bought it.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

I like it but I can do without wouldn't bother me

Quick Reply: Active Steering is the real deal!!