E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ACM and Dension GW500 question related to the AUX input

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Anyone who has both the ACM and the GW500 can help me here.

The ACM needs to be connected to the back of the CCC only for the AUX input correct. This is so that whenever you use any of the input from the ACM it can use the AUX for the sound. Question is do you have to switch to the AUX manually when you choose an input on the ACM or does it do it automatically. The reason I ask this question is that its a well known fact that the AUX input has a far lower volume that others like the CD and Radio etc. So if the ACM does not automatically switch to the AUX input you should be able to use the AUX provided by the Dension GW500 and that way you get clear sound at the same volume as everything else. This route may even make the ACM install a lot easier because then you dont have to bother going behind the CCC at all, just forget about the AUX part of the ACM install.

I thought I would send Fred a PM because I know he has the combo but then decided to make a thread for all to read the replies.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='566698' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:34 PM

The ACM needs to be connected to the back of the CCC only for the AUX input correct. This is so that whenever you use any of the input from the ACM it can use the AUX for the sound. Question is do you have to switch to the AUX manually when you choose an input on the ACM or does it do it automatically. The reason I ask this question is that its a well known fact that the AUX input has a far lower volume that others like the CD and Radio etc. So if the ACM does not automatically switch to the AUX input you should be able to use the AUX provided by the Dension GW500 and that way you get clear sound at the same volume as everything else. This route may even make the ACM install a lot easier because then you dont have to bother going behind the CCC at all, just forget about the AUX part of the ACM install.

I thought I would send Fred a PM because I know he has the combo but then decided to make a thread for all to read the replies.
I got a manual from my dealer for the acm module, and i read there that ACM module automatically select AUX input. (you even have to plug out the USB stick in the usb port if you have 6FL )
Hope this helps...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

yup! when selecting an av input, it straight away selects the aux input...it's like a shortcut so that you don't have to set your entertainment source to Aux first before going into ACM menu...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sx125' post='567010' date='Apr 24 2008, 05:06 PM
I got a manual from my dealer for the acm module, and i read there that ACM module automatically select AUX input. (you even have to plug out the USB stick in the usb port if you have 6FL )
Hope this helps...
I don't have option 6FL (US in my car...USB is played via GW500 and it's Entertainment-->CD menu...So, i don't have to plug out USB.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='566698' date='Apr 24 2008, 05:34 AM

fyi, you can actually choose not to wire-up the aux at all from ACM...it's main purpose is that whenever you go in to ACM menu, you straight away go to the chosen source without going through the hassle of switching to Aux audio mode first. in fact, you can still scroll the entertainment source on your steering wheel button (Star/Rhomb buttons) to Aux Audio if the aux cables are not wired up...

Yes, you can plug you audio input cable to AuxGW mode in GW500, and use that as your sound input source...it's true that Aux from GW500 is way better and more clear in terms of the sound output quality...but, with this method, you will have to go through the hassle of scrolling to CD mode and switching to AuxGW first...

But, with IVE1000, for iPod video, it only uses the display...sound still comes out from GW500 mode. You have to go in to iPodUI mode in GW500 first...
Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Thanks for the response. This is what I thought was happening so not wiring up the AUX on the ACM is not 'really' an option. What about when you switch off the ACM input, does it jump back to what you were listening to first? (i know this is a long short)
Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes, it does not switch to AUX. Weird.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='567330' date='Apr 25 2008, 04:19 AM
Sometimes, it does not switch to AUX. Weird.

It's a bug that frequently happens...That's what my local dealer here told me...might be due to the early batch of the production.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Contributors

The ACM has got firmware installed on the unit but I wonder if that will update with you go in for a PROGRAM change. Because its not directly connected to the main MOST or could it use the CAN link to update itself. Any idea?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='567755' date='Apr 25 2008, 02:51 PM
The ACM has got firmware installed on the unit but I wonder if that will update with you go in for a PROGRAM change. Because its not directly connected to the main MOST or could it use the CAN link to update itself. Any idea?
I don't think so...I did a progman update from v23.x to v27.x end of last year, at that time i had my acm on already and i don't see any changes to it. even the bugs on it is still present...afterall, i've already linked a couple of aftermarket goodies on it (thanks to freds tutorial on converting rca cables to fit their conectors)...if it did update together, it'll surely fail to get through due to these aftermarket stuff, right?