E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Abrieb Tuning Device from Ebay works great!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='595559' date='Jun 4 2008, 08:55 PM
Only thing which I still have a problem with is the torque below 1500 rmp (525d engine). Above that the car flies, but those first 1500 rmp's....man!
Any suggestions on that other than a remap???? Anyone else has the same experience?

thx

That's easy to answer... you need a Sprint Booster. I fitted it to mine and have instant acceleration. Do a search in the classifieds, there is no doubt someone selling them here -- I bought my Sprint Booster via an E60.NET Group Buy. If you want more info, do a search in the Accessories & Modifications section -- plenty of write-ups there.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I just checked the Abrieb web-site and the Tuning Boxes for the LCI diesels are listed as EUR599 -- this is the link to the 525d 197ps chiptuning. Not sure what you guys purchased from Ebay??
Old 08-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

All

To answer a couple of questions at once. I fitted the device in the front of the engine where the fuel injector connector is fitted. You unplug it and then put the device between the plug and the connector. Very simple. It wasn't located at the far end of the engine. I have a 2005 525d. And if fitted right you'll definately notice the difference immediately. Please see the pictures posted in the beginning of this treat.

As for Abrieb. On Ebay they link to their site. If they have quotes there of EUR 500 + then what can I say
I've bought it on Ebay and the contact afterwards I've had with them was through the following Email address: info@abrieb.de
So seems legit. I'd suggest you try it. Worst case is that you waste ?80 or whatever. Best case is that your car suddenly behaves a lot better, like you have 30 extra Bhp. Even my wife noticed it. And she's no car fanatic. O yes, I don't work for Abrieb and I as well had to pay the full amount. Nor am I a reseller. I just want to share my experience just like many of you do with your E61's

Thanks for the comments about the problem I have below 1500rpm. I'll definately check it out!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

It seems to me that the box is common for all common rail diesel engines and not engine specific??
Old 08-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Perhaps but then you're taking a gamble. On Ebay they do sell these based on the car brand and specification.
Perhaps the best way is to wait for one on ebay and ask the seller if you can also use that one on your car/engine. Alternatively you wait until they sell one specifically related to your car.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hi guys...

Was just contemplating which is better - Tuning/Power Box or Chip Tuning, and i come across this on a Chip Tuning company's website :

http://www.ic-chiptuning.com/html/info/index_box_en.htm

shows the disadvantages of Powerbox over a Chip Tuning.

Please do comment on how far its true or not, am confused!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='651282' date='Aug 21 2008, 12:25 AM
Hi guys...

Was just contemplating which is better - Tuning/Power Box or Chip Tuning, and i come across this on a Chip Tuning company's website :

http://www.ic-chiptuning.com/html/info/index_box_en.htm

shows the disadvantages of Powerbox over a Chip Tuning.

Please do comment on how far its true or not, am confused!
Thanks for the link. Only problem is that it is written by a company who does the more expensive chip tuning. So not sure how impartial it is. From my experience so far with my tuning box I don't see any black soot when putting the pedal to the floor. In this treat I've also written the feedback from Abrieb tuning confirming how the box works.
But true this info could also be partial.
I guess the problem is that so far I haven't found any info anywhere from an impartial Technical group who would be able to confirm the pro's and cons.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='651423' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the link. Only problem is that it is written by a company who does the more expensive chip tuning. So not sure how impartial it is. From my experience so far with my tuning box I don't see any black soot when putting the pedal to the floor. In this treat I've also written the feedback from Abrieb tuning confirming how the box works.
But true this info could also be partial.
I guess the problem is that so far I haven't found any info anywhere from an impartial Technical group who would be able to confirm the pro's and cons.
Right fitted mine now in the right place, there were no instructions so I guessed and got it wrong the first time as it fitted a conector on the left hand side, took the engine cover off, fitted it, went for a 2 minute drive to test and nearly an hour later with a big grin got home. This thing is awesomw, I only paid ?65 so well worth it, I would not say it gave 40 BHP and 60NM torque but would think around 20BHP and 30 NM torque, which is great for the money. I was worried about MPG so went for a good run with normal driving and it was fine, would recommend them.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Members

I just installed the abrieb box in my (brand new) 520D. This is the 163BHP version with the new EDC-17 ECU chip, they say this engine can go up to 219BHP if properly tuned. What the abrieb box gave me as far as power, I don't know. But the car feels faster then my previous car (BMW 325D, 197BHP).

Paid some 70 Euro on eBay for the box, installed in less then 5 minutes. Abrieb people: job well done!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Interesting stuff..... My only concern is it traceable if there's a problem with the engine and BMW hooks up the ECU to their computer.... Something like, 'external device detected' or something....

Quick Reply: Abrieb Tuning Device from Ebay works great!!