E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Abrieb Tuning Device from Ebay works great!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='586865' date='May 23 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi All
As I started this topic let me go through my old mails and see if I can send the supplier a mail asking them to clarify how this works.

I've had this box now for I think 6 weeks or so and still seems to work fine.
It would be great if you could get any further detail from them.

Mine's been in for 3 days now - and apart from the power boost, I have also noticed a very definite mpg increase of around 10%.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributors

the box seems like a good investment but again, like you guys have discussed, the increase of performance is obtained at what price? also, my car already had a remap, sprint booster installed, will this box get more power out of my little 520d engine? just curious. Right now, my car is already having wheel spin in 1st, 2nd gear if i step hard, its pretty powerful. but if i could get more power, i would.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Just to re-itterate something someone else said about price vs testing.

The reason you pay lots for some of the other companies tuning devices is that you're paying for their R&D. Someone has to sit down and play and that's what you're paying for.

If the worst comes to the worst, then most (but not all) will offer some sort of warranty on their work.

I'd imagine if the worst comes to the worst with this company, you might get your money back for the device, but then you'd be left with a bill for thousands for engine repairs.

Someone I know from another forum, fitted a tuning box to his 330cd and at about 70k the turbo went bang. Co-incidence? Could be, but it's enough to put me off buying anything that isn't from a reputable company that won't leave you in the lurch should things go wrong. Luckily for him, he removed the device and it was a company car, so it was all done under warranty.

At the end of the day though whenever you start playing around with the car, you run the risk of something not working properly. It's a risk even with big companies, and you should go into it with your eyes open.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

ok so I've asked the question to Abrieb Tuning. As it's a german company and English isn't their native Language please find below their exact reply:

our System works very lovely with the Engine,we have no thermik Problems,Why? We work only with the injector,no Turbo or Pressure in the Rail Engine.We say the injectors,please open longer or close faster,that?s all

As I'm not very technical can someone translate the above and confirm if good or bad? Or isn't this conclusive?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='589770' date='May 28 2008, 06:40 AM
the box seems like a good investment but again, like you guys have discussed, the increase of performance is obtained at what price? also, my car already had a remap, sprint booster installed, will this box get more power out of my little 520d engine? just curious. Right now, my car is already having wheel spin in 1st, 2nd gear if i step hard, its pretty powerful. but if i could get more power, i would.
I'd say there's no point! If you already have a remap, it probably already does exactly what the Abrieb box does, plus also tweaks additional parameters.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

What about LCI models?
from what I have heard, the LCI got some new/changed security which makes it harder to tamper with.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='595208' date='Jun 4 2008, 08:35 AM
What about LCI models?
from what I have heard, the LCI got some new/changed security which makes it harder to tamper with.
No problem at all. Mine is a March 08 car, and the Abrieb box works perfectly
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

All

so I've also added the response of Abrieb a bit earlier in this topic. If anyone wishes to reply to that then you're more than welcome.
As said before the box is cheap and sofar it's been having a positive effect to the responsiveness of my engine.
Only thing which I still have a problem with is the torque below 1500 rmp (525d engine). Above that the car flies, but those first 1500 rmp's....man!
Any suggestions on that other than a remap???? Anyone else has the same experience?

thx
Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='585967' date='May 22 2008, 05:53 AM
Just to add my $0.02 to this, I also ordered one of these for my 2008 E61 530D. My price was a little higher - ?81 inc. shipping.

5 mins to install, just undo the 5 hex bolts that hold the plastic cover ont he top of the engine, plug in the tuning box and away you go.

First impressions same as above - better throttle response, fast off the line and through the gears acceleration in all gearbox modes (mines a 6 speed SAT). Traction control coming on in 3rd and 4th gear if I pushed it hard. All in all, it feels much quicker and smoother. No problems at all with idle revs.

Abrieb say 20% improvement in both BHP and Torque - which would work out to +47 BHP and +100nm to give totals of 283BHP and 600nm. I have no way to test this as I don't have access to a rolling road, but it definitely feels significantly faster and more "meaty" if you know what I mean.

All in all, it seems amazing value for ?81!
Hello I just fitted one to my E60 525D Sport manual and I wanted to make sure it was in the right place as I fitted it to the left hand side of the engine above the big silver turbo pipe, but I would have thought your engine is identical only 500cc bigger??!!! So do you think its fitted right, there were no instructions.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='595559' date='Jun 4 2008, 02:55 PM
All

so I've also added the response of Abrieb a bit earlier in this topic. If anyone wishes to reply to that then you're more than welcome.
As said before the box is cheap and sofar it's been having a positive effect to the responsiveness of my engine.
Only thing which I still have a problem with is the torque below 1500 rmp (525d engine). Above that the car flies, but those first 1500 rmp's....man!
Any suggestions on that other than a remap???? Anyone else has the same experience?

thx
Hello mine didnt have instructions so I fitted it on the left side of the engine where it plugged in finr, not a real difference in performance, certainly not 40 BHp and 60NM Torque hahahaha they cant be serious, thats a serious difference, where did you fit yours?

Quick Reply: Abrieb Tuning Device from Ebay works great!!