E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i Project Journal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some PFC race pads if you wanna buy them.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i sport

How many miles since the super charger was installed?
Any problems due to it?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimon7777
I have some PFC race pads if you wanna buy them.
Thank you for the offer. Have about 300 miles on the current set of pads.

Originally Posted by nairb
How many miles since the super charger was installed?
Any problems due to it?
11-13k miles or so? Haven't been keeping track. I can't say there are any problems due to the supercharger outside of normal wear and tear.

Update:

Got the seats and steering wheel in temporarily (need to wire up the horn still). The momo 2012 adapter hub doesn't fit our car out of the box like it would on a 3-series (for my cars' build date anyways). I opted to mill out a few teeth/splines to make it fit because the car had a keyed spline. Also had to space it away from the steering column with a high quality washer. Also managed to fab up some side mount extensions and get them to attach securely to the track rails.

Last edited by west; 04-13-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Added a few photos along with a status update
Old 04-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Senior Members

Not sure how many of you out there are interested in doing this sort of thing to an e60, but if you have questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help you through some of the issues I ran in to along the way.

Update: Horn is working/connected now. Forgot to detail the harnesses installation, but we basically attached points 5 and 6 underneath the seat on some solid runners, then ran the shoulder straps to the original seat belt shoulder mounts at the rear. The hood latches went in with some attention to detail and I gotta say I'm a fan. We'd actually tucked the wiring in the engine bay that goes over the fender wells (ran the wiring along the top of the fenders), and having also removed the cable for the hood latch, it not only simplifies things, but you no longer need to open the door and pull a lever to access the engine bay.

Last edited by west; 04-12-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

So awesome. Keep up the good work. Are you going to color match the aerocatch fasteners or leave them black?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
So awesome. Keep up the good work. Are you going to color match the aerocatch fasteners or leave them black?
Thank you. Probably going to leave them black for now.

Lots of stuff in the works now. Been playing around with e-machineshop's CAD software so I can get a little bit familiar with it before drafting up a final adapter plate for the new supercharger. Mahle is in the middle of designing some new low-compression pistons for the car that are coated and will have the rings moved down a bit to get them away from heat and pressure. Been considering the Pectel SQM6 for engine management, since, it appears to have some benefits over the ME9.

If you know anything about the TVS1900/2300, and how it's positioned on the manifold you'll know that this adapter plate is not going to work, but it was fun playing around with the software and getting familiar before being able to take measurements for a real prototype.

I'll probably be moving this project over to another forum more geared towards performance tweaks if anyone feels like helping out or following along with the build.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
New Members

this build just keeps getting better. Can you drive it as is?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mapleridge
this build just keeps getting better. Can you drive it as is?
Yes, however the ECU is down in Arizona getting re-flashed at the moment. Drove the car a few weeks ago and the car feels unbelievably light. Oh yeah, forgot to post this, but ended up weighing the stuff removed from the car with and all the parts and pieces totaled 490lbs...and this does not include the sunroof, headliner, airbags, dash, heater-core, etc. Probably another easy 100+lbs in there to go.

Here is a difference in size between the TVS1900 and TVS2300 rotor housing in case anyone is interested:

Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Don't get to familiar with the emachine shop software. You can't export your design to a format that any machine shop can use, besides emachine shop themselves. Then charge you huge for your design. I spent a good amount of time creating brake caliper brackets to find this out after.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Don't get to familiar with the emachine shop software. You can't export your design to a format that any machine shop can use, besides emachine shop themselves. Then charge you huge for your design. I spent a good amount of time creating brake caliper brackets to find this out after.
Yeah, it appears you're right. So what happened? Did you use different software then get the brackets made elsewhere? If so, what CAD software did you end up using?

Quick Reply: 550i Project Journal