E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i Headers Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crypto
Excuse my ignorance on this but was this a dyno that had certain restrictions in place that show the horse power gain? I thought the 550i had about 360HP .. so I'd expect to see that as a base start and then increases from there. Why is this from 286 to 304?
It's a pretty common question asked, so I wouldn't consider it being an ignorant question. When most car companies list the HP of a vehicle, they tend to list the "BHP" Brake horsepower or Flywheel horsepower. This tests basically the engine alone without any other parts of the vehicle attached. Actual HP received from a Dyno measures the HP with factors such as the gearbox, transmission, drivetrain, exhausts etc. Since the Dyno measures actual HP at the wheel, all of the moving parts listed between the actual engine and the wheels cause friction, since these parts are moving and rubbing against each other horsepower is lost once it finally arrives at the wheels.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

$6000 for 17hp gain?
personally i would have put that money towards an m5
Old 07-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Members

I have been waiting for this post since I saw the headers in your trunk. Congrats. Cant wait hear it.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
It's a pretty common question asked, so I wouldn't consider it being an ignorant question. When most car companies list the HP of a vehicle, they tend to list the "BHP" Brake horsepower or Flywheel horsepower. This tests basically the engine alone without any other parts of the vehicle attached. Actual HP received from a Dyno measures the HP with factors such as the gearbox, transmission, drivetrain, exhausts etc. Since the Dyno measures actual HP at the wheel, all of the moving parts listed between the actual engine and the wheels cause friction, since these parts are moving and rubbing against each other horsepower is lost once it finally arrives at the wheels.

Ok that concept I was familiar with but had never actually connected it with actually seeing an individuals results being posted. Good to know. thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexFW
1. What about noise (acceleration and crusing) ?
2. Would they replicate parts?
3. What kind of cat did they install?

Thanks!
Hi Alex. Great to see you online.

1) The system is much noisier. Words are so relative it's hard to describe. I'll let the camera do the talking if I can find a decent one.
2) I don't understand your question.
3) The cats were removed temporarily.

Originally Posted by mwolfe
I have been waiting for this post since I saw the headers in your trunk. Congrats. Cant wait hear it.
Thanks man. PM me and let's meet up. You gotta drive this thing for yourself.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Members

No cats...Check engine light is on I assume? or did you clear it? What cats are looking in to? Sweet mod btw...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2modfast
No cats...Check engine light is on I assume? or did you clear it? What cats are looking in to? Sweet mod btw...
Check engine light came on after we cleared it. Apperantly the de-fouler on the downstream sensor on one bank isn't fooling the DME. Will probably look into it eventually and end up doubling up the de-fouler on that side, but I'll just consult John and see what he says about it. Need to do some research on cats so haven't decided on a set just yet. Thank you.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
$6000 for 17hp gain?
personally i would have put that money towards an m5
No difference than buying a 7K BBK and having it installed. He chose headers instead.

Great West. .17 whp is great, also along the torque curve is nice.Are you gonna do a 1/4 mile run anytime?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Years ago I put shorty-headers on my Camaro and it was the best mod I ever had done to the car. Just make sure you connect it to a good aftermarket exhaust.

The noise is definitely MUCH louder - so much that it takes the "luxury" out of a car, which is why I personally wouldn't do it to a 5er. Sooner or later you are going to get tired of hearing that exhaust drone.

5k is definitely too high in my book (parts, ceramic coating, and labor for mine was well under 2k). But to each their own, I just went through a few grand for an M Aero Kit and 1LE brake upgrade on my cars....
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
No difference than buying a 7K BBK and having it installed. He chose headers instead.

Great West. .17 whp is great, also along the torque curve is nice.Are you gonna do a 1/4 mile run anytime?
Thank you 525iEnjoy. The open-mindedness is appreciated.

Would love to do a 1/4 mile run. I wouldn't know how to get in on that sort of thing though.

I've heard there are tools you can plug into your OBDII port which will measure your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times though I'm unsure which ones are the most accurate. We tried some software once using my buddies laptop and we got a 7.8 second 0-60. We were probably using the software wrong since that number seems sort of high.

Quick Reply: 550i Headers Dyno Results