E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i Headers Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let't jump right into it.. the blue line represents torque and horsepower before installing the headers and the red line represents torque and horsepower after installing the headers. The deltas indicate +17.76 hp and +12.89 tq with more power everywhere throughout the RPM band:

550i Headers Dyno Results-dynogood.jpg

It was fairly obvious to me that the car had more power upon driving it. Not that it was an enormous difference in power or anything, but the gains were noticable.

Oh, the car sounds amazing now as well. If I had a halfway decent camera handy, I'd record the sound but I don't so that will have to wait until a later date.

Anyways, if you are in the PNW and care to do this or similar modification to your BMW, I highly encourage you to drop by Carb Connection and talk to John. Here is a before and after photo of John and Tim's (from Muffler King) work. The rest of the photos can be found in this thread here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...s/page__st__27

550i Headers Dyno Results-photo24.jpg
(I snapped this one while they were buttoning on the underguard so its still hanging...)
550i Headers Dyno Results-photo80.jpg
Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i Titanium Gray/Auburn interior. Sprintbooster, RPI Scoop W/BMC Filter, RPI exhaust, 20" Miro 111

Can't wait to hear a clip. What exaust you runnin?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad gains, I checked out the supersprint website and they list 550i headers at almost $5000, seems like a lot of money for 17 hp. Wish some companies would start making more engine mods for 535i, not enough interest out there I guess.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gibby550
Can't wait to hear a clip. What exaust you runnin?
I'll try to find a decent cam and get recordings under various conditions. Search the forum for a thread titled 'the truth on quad setups. Separating fact from fiction'. It has the exhaust design and dyno results in there. It uses magnaflow parts.

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Not bad gains, I checked out the supersprint website and they list 550i headers at almost $5000, seems like a lot of money for 17 hp. Wish some companies would start making more engine mods for 535i, not enough interest out there I guess.
Yeah man. Dollar per horsepower isn't that good but these headers can be rationalized as a sort of pre-requisite for other mods depending on what your project goals are. I dunno.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

So how much did it cost you in the end with parts and labor?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skeeter
So how much did it cost you in the end with parts and labor?
Parts (aside from headers) may include but are not limited to mandrel bent tubing, o2 Sims, cylinder head gaskets, collector reducers, bungs and piping- $100-$400 or so depending on approach. Someone keep me honest on the prices here. I think much of this varies on what the headers will connect to, if anything.

Labor around here runs between $85 and $125 an hour depending on where you go. Book hours say 8 hours for an n62 exhaust manifold swap, so figure labor rate times 8 hours for install, then a little more to attach things together (assuming you are doing a custom cat-back).
Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by west
Parts (aside from headers) may include but are not limited to mandrel bent tubing, o2 Sims, cylinder head gaskets, collector reducers, bungs and piping- $100-$400 or so depending on approach. Someone keep me honest on the prices here. I think much of this varies on what the headers will connect to, if anything.

Labor around here runs between $85 and $125 an hour depending on where you go. Book hours say 8 hours for an n62 exhaust manifold swap, so figure labor rate times 8 hours for install, then a little more to attach things together (assuming you are doing a custom cat-back).
So your saying you paid around 6g's?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skeeter
So your saying you paid around 6g's?
I haven't added up all the receipts, but its probably within 5 hundred bucks or so from there give or take. The key element I think is to be sure you are working with an honest and capable shop. Well, that or doing the installation yourself.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

1. What about noise (acceleration and crusing) ?
2. Would they replicate parts?
3. What kind of cat did they install?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excuse my ignorance on this but was this a dyno that had certain restrictions in place that show the horse power gain? I thought the 550i had about 360HP .. so I'd expect to see that as a base start and then increases from there. Why is this from 286 to 304?

Quick Reply: 550i Headers Dyno Results