E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by chapmanw
Im seriously considering the catch can approach.

When I pull the oil cap off my car, it starts to stumble and eventually dies. Is this normal for other N62 owners? Mine in particular is a 04 545i. Thanks for sharing your catchcan creation.

My 545 does the same thing.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550I v8 N62tu

Originally Posted by pcb5
Your CCVs are not closing - probably dirty diaphragm seats (if not torn) or a crack in your tube assembly. You can remove the caps and fabricate a metal strap (I used a coat hanger) with hose clamp(s) to watch the diaphragms in action. At start up the diaphragms should stay open until your crankcase becomes a vacuum chamber. You will also hear your valvetronics and throttle valve adjust - this takes about 30 seconds or so.
** If you have crankcase leaks (valve covers, oil pan, seals, dipstick o-rings, etc.) the crankcase will not become a vacuum chamber and the CCV diaphragms will not close **
You could also have excessive blowby - If you have a dipstick, you should feel a slight vacuum with your finger over the hole.

545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics-image.jpg

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 10-21-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: info
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by A B Able Truck
Your CCVs are not closing - probably dirty diaphragm seats (if not torn) or a crack in your tube assembly. You can remove the caps and fabricate a metal strap (I used a coat hanger) with hose clamp(s) to watch the diaphragms in action. At start up the diaphragms should stay open until your crankcase becomes a vacuum chamber. You will also hear your valvetronics and throttle valve adjust - this takes about 30 seconds or so.

You could also have excessive blowby - If you have a dipstick, you should feel a slight vacuum with your finger over the hole.

Attachment 143074
hmm...all good points. But i'm thinking if it were excessive blow by, the car would be smoking all the time, right? And I do feel vacuum at the oil dipstick. But when I pull the dip stick, its starts running very ruff.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
New Members

hmm...all good points. But i'm thinking if it were excessive blow by, the car would be smoking all the time, right? And I do feel vacuum at the oil dipstick. But when I pull the dip stick, its starts running very ruff.
Your valves are not closing & there should be oil in the tube assembly.

I'm updating my previous post with another diagnostic option.

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 10-21-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
New Members

As a diagnostic procedure - close off the center hole under both the CCV diaphragms with maybe duct tape - start the engine - now you should be able to pull the oil filler cap or dipstick without affecting the engine idle - if that's so, then you need to take a good look at your tube assembly(s) - I had a crack under the insulation & didn't know until I removed the insulation.

545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics-image.jpg

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 10-21-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: info
Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Auto trans, Navigation, Comfort Access, Adaptive Lighting, Dynamic Drive, Sport Package, Logic 7 Audio, Voice Control, Shades, Active Steering, PDC, Heads Up Display, Heated Front Seats, CD changer, Satellite, Extended Lighting Pkg

AB did your clear tube catch can set up stop your smoking? I know you previously had the scotch pad and screen setup, but are you saying this clear tube setup replaced that and still no smoking? My 550i may benefit from this change.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by dallas535i
AB did your clear tube catch can set up stop your smoking? I know you previously had the scotch pad and screen setup, but are you saying this clear tube setup replaced that and still no smoking? My 550i may benefit from this change.
I removed the scotch pads and still have my clear tube (catch can) assembly installed. The assembly is not catching oil so it appears to be keeping the oil out of the intake. The drainage allows for the oil to return to the valve covers.

I have since had an opportunity on a great deal for having the valve stem seals replaced. All German Auto in Escondido CA invented a tool to replace the seals without removing the camshafts. So between my tube assembly & the seals being replaced I have not used a drop of oil.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Auto trans, Navigation, Comfort Access, Adaptive Lighting, Dynamic Drive, Sport Package, Logic 7 Audio, Voice Control, Shades, Active Steering, PDC, Heads Up Display, Heated Front Seats, CD changer, Satellite, Extended Lighting Pkg

Originally Posted by A B Able Truck
I have since had an opportunity on a great deal for having the valve stem seals replaced. All German Auto in Escondido CA invented a tool to replace the seals without removing the camshafts. So between my tube assembly & the seals being replaced I have not used a drop of oil.
So your car is repaired using the AGA tool? What could I expect to pay for that repair? Trying to figure out how to get it done in Dallas.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dallas535i
So your car is repaired using the AGA tool? What could I expect to pay for that repair? Trying to figure out how to get it done in Dallas.
At AGA the going rate is under $2000 (includes new valve stem seals & related gaskets)
The valve stem seals have been updated to eliminate the cavity that allowed oil to pool towards the top of the valve guide.
If you have a 06 550I (N62TU) you don't have secondary air issues and the first step is to keep the oil out of the intake - then;
There is a poster on another forum with a shop (I think) in Houston - he was thinking about purchasing AGA's new tool (I don't know if he has or not) - He goes by the screen name BigUglyFab but he also says he instructs BMW techs - Contact him, he may know someone in your area if you don't want to make the drive.
Contact info;
Home Page
Home | ABR Houston | Specializing in Advanced BMW Repair and ServiceABR Houston | Specializing in Advanced BMW Repair and Service | Advanced BMW Repair and Service
This Page
Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Profile: bigugly fab
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Members

So has anyone had any long term experience with this catch can idea? I know this is an old thread, but it seems better to continue it than start a new one.

Quick Reply: 545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics