E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Pretty nice set up there Able Truck. How long have you had that set up? And, did you remove the small filters you made from the scotch Brite pad?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550I v8 N62tu

Originally Posted by pcb5
Pretty nice set up there Able Truck. How long have you had that set up? And, did you remove the small filters you made from the scotch Brite pad?
I removed the Scotch Brite pads because they were holding oil. The brass filters work much better - they drain easier. Off the top of my head - I think this system was installed about a month ago.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by A B Able Truck
Makeshift catch can idea:
Attachment 143013
Parts needed;
4 - Brass Fuel Filters (Carquest #86050 $3 each)
10 - (1 inch) hose clamps
2 - Brass T Fittings - Home Depot (SharkBite 3/4x3/4x3/4) plumbing dept. $4 each
1 roll - Home Depot (Watts 42143912 7/8x5/8x10 ft.) plumbing dept. $10
Approximate Total $40
Note: Clear hose will be easier to form when heated with a hair dryer.

The clear hose appears to hold up well, but I do not live in a freezing climate. The clear hose allows you to see what's going on and the non-corrugated hose allows for better oil drainage back to valve covers. The brass filters are a first and secondary line of defense against oil and they breath well. The U-shaped trap from right to left T-fittings (ran under fresh air intake) act as a catch can. It also appears to have equalized the vacuum between both CCVs because I get almost no oil caught. (Maybe 1 tablespoon & oil level on dipstick is not moving) Allows for engine covers to be installed.
Did u just plug the lower vacume inlet on the driver side ? my 545 has the passenger side hose goes to the center of the manifold and the driver side hose is down lower.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by H F
Did u just plug the lower vacume inlet on the driver side ? my 545 has the passenger side hose goes to the center of the manifold and the driver side hose is down lower.
I have a N62TU which only has an upper intake port (one tube assembly - T'ed off to both CCVs). For those of you with the early style 2 hose system - just be creative, but keep in mind the oil will want to flow downhill - don't let it flow towards the intake. You could probably cap off the lower port then just copy my install.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

[QUOTE=A B Able Truck;1522048]I have a N62TU which only has an upper intake port (one tube assembly - T'ed off to both CCVs). For those of you with the early style 2 hose system - just be creative, but keep in mind the oil will want to flow downhill - don't let it flow towards the intake. You could probably cap off the lower port then just copy my install.[/QUOTE
Thats what ill do is cap it off . I was just thinking if the amount of vacume will be reduced if I tee it off .. Vs each ccv having its own inlet ,,and not functioning properly due to a lower amount of vacume per each ccv . Not sure if they both would work as designed with two ccv on one inlet. But then the 550 is like that ..
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM
New Members

[QUOTE=H F;1522077]
I have a N62TU which only has an upper intake port (one tube assembly - T'ed off to both CCVs). For those of you with the early style 2 hose system - just be creative, but keep in mind the oil will want to flow downhill - don't let it flow towards the intake. You could probably cap off the lower port then just copy my install.[/QUOTE
Thats what ill do is cap it off . I was just thinking if the amount of vacume will be reduced if I tee it off .. Vs each ccv having its own inlet ,,and not functioning properly due to a lower amount of vacume per each ccv . Not sure if they both would work as designed with two ccv on one inlet. But then the 550 is like that ..
The CCVs should be the same as mine - You can check the vacuum at the dipstick after the install to verify - $40 in parts and an hour of your time is worth a try.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM
New Members

I have the exact same problem with oil being drawn through the crankcase hose. What's causing this high vacuum? Everyone is saying valve stem seals but i tend to disagree.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by chapmanw
I have the exact same problem with oil being drawn through the crankcase hose. What's causing this high vacuum? Everyone is saying valve stem seals but i tend to disagree.
The vaccum isn't excessively high - it's just an inadequate crankcase vent system, the OEM tube assembly doesn't drain well and the intake acts like a catch can.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:00 PM
New Members

The vaccum isn't excessively high - it's just an inadequate crankcase vent system, the OEM tube assembly doesn't drain well and the intake acts like a catch can.
Im seriously considering the catch can approach.

When I pull the oil cap off my car, it starts to stumble and eventually dies. Is this normal for other N62 owners? Mine in particular is a 04 545i. Thanks for sharing your catchcan creation.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by chapmanw
Im seriously considering the catch can approach.
When I pull the oil cap off my car, it starts to stumble and eventually dies. Is this normal for other N62 owners? Mine in particular is a 04 545i. Thanks for sharing your catchcan creation.
I can pull my oil filler cap (makes a mess) or my dipstick and it does not effect my engine idle. This tells me that my CCV diaphragms are sealing well with adequate intake vacuum.

Quick Reply: 545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics