E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535d Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the remap affect reliabilty of the engine?

BTW does yours have a particle filter? I was told that the flat spot shown on the 525d dyno was because of the particle filter. Is this right?
Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Originally Posted by skaffa' date='Dec 3 2004, 01:13 PM
Also:
"what makes 535d more powerfull is longer lasting boost in upper end of map."

Power=work / time -> Power = torq x speed

Where:

Power = W = Nm/s (1000 W = 1kw =1,36 hp)
torq = Nm
speed = engine speed (rad/sec) (rad =? pi x 2 x round/sec)

So, more speed with same torq = more power. Easy my dear Watson. ? ?

Skaffa
[snapback]63920[/snapback]
LOL Skaffa - I didn't say that you didn't have more torque and more power (which seems to be what you've tried to prove here) - we both know that one is just a function of the other.... all I was saying that is as the engines are not the same (unless you're saying that the turbocharger(s) is / are not an engine component ) and that as a result of the changes it should be possible to have higher boost at higher revs on the 535d than the 530d.

Come over to a 1/4 mile drag day at Santa Pod in the summer and we'll see if you can get a run in the 13s - I'll buy you dinner if you do Or if you out-drag me. (although I might bring my TT ).

Clive
Old 12-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Skaffa, have you told your dealer about the remap aswell? Have you got your car booked with them for a service or software update in the near future?

I hope you can answer all my questions. Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by clived' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:44 PM
LOL Skaffa - I didn't say that you didn't have more torque and more power (which seems to be what you've tried to prove here) - we both know that one is just a function of the other.... all I was saying that is as the engines are not the same (unless you're saying that the turbocharger(s) is / are not an engine component ) and that as a result of the changes it should be possible to have higher boost at higher revs on the 535d than the 530d.

Come over to a 1/4 mile drag day at Santa Pod in the summer and we'll see if you can get a run in the 13s - I'll buy you dinner if you do Or if you out-drag me. (although I might bring my TT ).

Clive
[snapback]64458[/snapback]
No no, not at all... I try to say that at it's possible to have more speed AND power with higher revs in 535 just because it have bigger second turbo, so boost will last longer. But not necessarily more top power. With 6-speed it might bee that tuned 530 and 535 will be as fast at trakc or 1/4-mile, because top speed is not essential.

Of course turbo is part of engine, but not "basic engine" (long block). At least not to me.

I have to go to some track to check acceleration values. Is it Santa Pod (good place for Finns) or some other place? You are also welcome to Motopark or some other 1/4 track in Finland. IF I have that 311 hp high 13 should not be impossible.

And like I have said earlier hp reading is not prime thing to me IT'S THE JOY OF RIDE! Sorry to shout but it's so nice... I mean the ride...

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Dec 5 2004, 12:11 AM
Skaffa, have you told your dealer about the remap aswell? Have you got your car booked with them for a service or software update in the near future?

I hope you can answer all my questions. Thanks
[snapback]64657[/snapback]
DO You think I'm stupid ? No I will not tell them that my engine ecu is remapped. Service I will have end of January and aux in installation. Let's see?

Skaffa
Old 12-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

What about reliabilty? Is the life expectancy of the engine, turbo and gearbox shortened?

Also is yours equiped with a particle filter?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Dec 5 2004, 12:53 AM
What about reliabilty? Is the life expectancy of the engine, turbo and gearbox shortened?

Also is yours equiped with a particle filter?
[snapback]64670[/snapback]
First:

If I use all that power whole time I think all those parts life time will be shorter. How much? Maybe 10% to 25%? How much is that and from what original value? I really don't know. But IMO still 300000km should be possible reading.

Second:

It says that my car should be EURO 4, so include particle filter. Thoug I have feeling that early 04 it was not so. Any one can conform this?? Car is in Ireland and I'm in Finland so I can't check it now.

Skaffa

Skaffa
Old 12-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Cars with a particle filter have chrome exhaust pipes and cars without it have there exhausts turned down. So which is yours?

I was told that the flat spots on the 525d dyno is caused by the particle filter. Is this right? Also is the engine more smoother than before?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Skaffa - must admit when I was suggesting Santa Pod I assumed you were in Ireland - is the car going to live in Finland ultimately?

I guess we might have to do our 1/4 mile runs seperately and compare figures. :-/ 13 would be an amazing time - I'm not expecting to beat 13.5 when I take my 345bhp, 4wd (so good traction off the line) TT to Santa Pod in the spring...!

Will you be bringing the car via England if you take it to Finland? I'd love to feel how it goes - I bet it does feel amazing

Clive
Old 12-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Dec 4 2004, 09:53 PM
[snapback]64670[/snapback]
This is a discussion I've had a lot in the Audi tuning world and agree 100% with Skaffa..... who really cares if the life of a particular component is shortened by 10 or even 25%, unless you plan to run the car for 100s of K. Of course, you care if you have a component fail that *might* have failed if you were chipped or not and the dealer tells you to take a running jump.

I'm currently favouring the Hartge conversion available from Birds in the UK - it's totally detectable - it's a plug in box - BUT Hartge warrant the engine and transmission until the BMW warranty expires, so long as the car is less than 6 months old when they fit the box. It also has TuV approval.

Other possibilities I'm looking at DMS Automotive with the "One-click" removeable maps and West Tuning with their "undetectable" maps...

Cheers, Clive
Old 12-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Dec 5 2004, 01:10 AM
Cars with a particle filter have chrome exhaust pipes and cars without it have there exhausts turned down. So which is yours?

I was told that the flat spots on the 525d dyno is caused by the particle filter. Is this right? Also is the engine more smoother than before?
[snapback]64679[/snapback]
Ok I have bended tailpipes so no filter.

Smoother... Hmmm... Maybe I'm wrong person to answer that... When I push pedal down my car goes and 1-4 it's rage, 5-6 You might call that smooth.

What can I say , I like it.

Skaffa

Quick Reply: 535d Tuning