E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535D DMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blingo' post='224757
I'm new to this BMW forum site so Hi folks.Had my 535D for 2 months now and have to say it's an awesome car, I had a 330D before and I had DMS weave there magic on it,what a great desision that was like driving a new car.So last week I had my 535D tuned as well anyone wanting to know what it's like give me a shout but jaw droppingly quick springs to mind straight away and do you know I'm getting a couple of extra yes extra MPG can't belive it.Anyone thinking of getting it done call them straight away you won't regret it and no I don't work for them.
Where do you stand insurance wise, do you declare the mods?

If you do insure it, I would be interested to know who with and what their attitude to mapping is (measured in ?s probably).
[/quote]
DMS claim to have a 'no detect' indemnity. Therefore, how would the insurance company know?

In my experience most 'mainstream' insurers are quite negative to any changes... I've been refused cover by asking if I could increase wheel diameter and quite a stern answer that they would cancel my cover immediately! (Norwich Union)
Old 01-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

[/quote]
DMS claim to have a 'no detect' indemnity. Therefore, how would the insurance company know?

In my experience most 'mainstream' insurers are quite negative to any changes... I've been refused cover by asking if I could increase wheel diameter and quite a stern answer that they would cancel my cover immediately! (Norwich Union)
[/quote]

When I first changed to Liverpool Victoria, I asked about wheels and they told me I could do anything up to Nitrous! When I phoned two years later to ask about tuning they had changed their tune (sic) somewhat so didn't bother in the end.

Have been able to find no recorded case of chipping being checked for as part of a claim but the tuners think it will only be a matter of time.

Loads of people have this mod it appears, keep us posted with consumption and reliability if you would.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by blingo' post='224757' date='Jan 15 2006, 11:34 PM
If you do insure it, I would be interested to know who with and what their attitude to mapping is (measured in ?s probably).
I just renewed my insurance for ?695 with Zurich Premier. This wasn't the cheapest quote, but seemed the best deal (has very good cover in case of an accident, including replacement car etc). When I enquired about having the engine "chipped" I was told the increase the power would take the annual premium up to ?805. That's an increase of 16% which doens't seem unreasonable. The insurance broker told me that some other insurance companies won't touch "modified" cars at all, so that was another reason to go with this policy, since I am seriously thinking about getting an ECU remap (just can't decide which one to go with :-)
Old 01-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by red-max' post='225134
I just renewed my insurance for ?695 with Zurich Premier. This wasn't the cheapest quote, but seemed the best deal (has very good cover in case of an accident, including replacement car etc). When I enquired about having the engine "chipped" I was told the increase the power would take the annual premium up to ?805. That's an increase of 16% which doens't seem unreasonable. The insurance broker told me that some other insurance companies won't touch "modified" cars at all, so that was another reason to go with this policy, since I am seriously thinking about getting an ECU remap (just can't decide which one to go with :-)
[/quote]
I understand the way insurance works but do you really think an ECU remap would make you any more likely to crash/claim?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by colejl' post='225139' date='Jan 16 2006, 10:11 PM
...the way insurance works but do you really think an ECU remap would make you any more likely to crash/claim?
Yes. At least at the beginning because of the enthusiasm...
Old 01-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by colejl' post='225139' date='Jan 16 2006, 10:11 PM
I understand the way insurance works but do you really think an ECU remap would make you any more likely to crash/claim?
Well hopefully not - In my mind I am trying to justify the extra power would actually make it safer to overtake. But insurance is generally higher for more powerful cars, and the DMS remap would allegedly provide my 530d with similar performance (though perhaps not delivery) to a standard 535d, so it's not unreasonable to pay more.

This thread has got me thinking about safety. Does anyone know if the 535d has bigger brakes than the 530d?

Those who've had DMS upgrades - any problems with standard brakes handling the extra work (assuming you drive faster)?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by colejl' post='225139
This thread has got me thinking about safety. Does anyone know if the 535d has bigger brakes than the 530d?

Those who've had DMS upgrades - any problems with standard brakes handling the extra work (assuming you drive faster)?
Here is your answer on why insurance companies should care about remaps...
Old 01-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by red-max' post='225306
Well hopefully not - In my mind I am trying to justify the extra power would actually make it safer to overtake. But insurance is generally higher for more powerful cars, and the DMS remap would allegedly provide my 530d with similar performance (though perhaps not delivery) to a standard 535d, so it's not unreasonable to pay more.

[/quote]
The 535d does have bigger brakes (same as 545i).

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='225310
Originally Posted by red-max' post='225306' date='Jan 17 2006, 10:19 AM

Here is your answer on why insurance companies should care about remaps...
[/quote]
Too many factors to consider - I'd like to see real-world statistics on this. I don't think people actually go any faster, just get there quicker! The safer overtaking argument is interesting!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Members

Had mine done too, Marty.

Agree with everything you say - makes an awesome car just amazing.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Chris535D' post='225317' date='Jan 17 2006, 11:47 AM
Had mine done too, Marty.

Agree with everything you say - makes an awesome car just amazing.
But have you told your insurer? And what about the 19" wheels?

Quick Reply: 535D DMS