E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535 LCI with Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Size of the pipe and the bends. :thumbsdown:
Well,seems pretty simple..make it with larger pipe.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Wonder if this setup will change the sound of the exhaust?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by 96bigbody
Like this?
This would be a superior routing, flow better, and have less bends. ( pic attached)

535 LCI with Dual Exhaust-dual.png

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Size of the pipe and the bends. :thumbsdown:
After the split, the pipe to each set of tips need only have the half the cross-sectional area of the primary pipe to maintain the same flow, so it looks fine as far as pipe-sizing to me. In fact in the original pic, the large majority of the gases are just going to go out the stock-location tips anyway, with minimal exhaust gas being force out the added pipe. It's almost just for looks, but still could only increase flow (decrease "back pressue") so not hurting anything.

Originally Posted by epilithic
Wonder if this setup will change the sound of the exhaust?
Without a doubt.

Pretty sure BMW "tuned" the factory exhaust for specific sound, and whether they did or not, the exhaust system is just like a trombone - you lengthen or add piping, and the sound changes.

Generall, when it comes to making power, turbo engines (of any size) don't like "back pressure", they like the largest, most free-flowing exhaust system you can get on the car, period. Which makes that email from Remus pretty disappointing - guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about mentioning backpressure (which itself is a misnomer, it's about exhaust-pulse-timing, not restricting flow). And it would apply to an NA engine much more so - turbos act as mufflers/restrictions already and simply need to get the exhaust gas out as fast as possible post-turbo.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
This would be a superior routing, flow better, and have less bends. ( pic attached)

Attachment 135901

After the split, the pipe to each set of tips need only have the half the cross-sectional area of the primary pipe to maintain the same flow, so it looks fine as far as pipe-sizing to me. In fact in the original pic, the large majority of the gases are just going to go out the stock-location tips anyway, with minimal exhaust gas being force out the added pipe. It's almost just for looks, but still could only increase flow (decrease "back pressue") so not hurting anything.

Without a doubt.

Pretty sure BMW "tuned" the factory exhaust for specific sound, and whether they did or not, the exhaust system is just like a trombone - you lengthen or add piping, and the sound changes.

Generall, when it comes to making power, turbo engines (of any size) don't like "back pressure", they like the largest, most free-flowing exhaust system you can get on the car, period. Which makes that email from Remus pretty disappointing - guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about mentioning backpressure (which itself is a misnomer, it's about exhaust-pulse-timing, not restricting flow). And it would apply to an NA engine much more so - turbos act as mufflers/restrictions already and simply need to get the exhaust gas out as fast as possible post-turbo.
...and what would silence the right side?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: OEM Specs - Titanium Silver, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Dakota Black Leather, Dark Poplar Wood trim, Xenon Adaptive Head Lights, Navigation, Satellite Radio Mods: Umnitza M5Tech Body Kit(Front, Rear and Side Skirts), Alufelgen 19/8.5 ET35 (Front) 19/9.5 ET35 (Rear), Continental DWS 245/35ZR19 (Front) 275/30ZR19 Rear, MGP Red Caliper Covers, RPI Air Scoops, BMS Power Box, FormulaOne Pinnacle Tint (VA Limits), Angel I Bright 3.0A (Bright White), R1 Premium D/S, Hawk HPS Pads, M5 Trunk Finisher, LCI LED Tail Lamps, Bruce Miranda v6.1 cable, 3M Shadowline Blackout tape, 6K Interior LED kit, Self Design Quad Exhaust (Center Resonator delete, Magnaflow 10791 Tru - X Stainless Steel 2.5" Exhaust Pipe, Vibrant 1793 Stainless Steel Bottle Style Resonator, Yonaka Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust Tips), H&R Sports Springs 29146-1 Vendors Used for Installation- Body Kit- BMW of Fairfax, Fairfax, VA Quad Exhaust- Monroe Brakes And Exhaust, Fairfax, VA Wheels and Tires- Hogan & Sons (Good Year), Ashburn, VA Tints- LA Tint, Manassas, VA Self Design Quad Exhaust- HPS Customs, Glen Burnie, MD H&R Sports Springs- Authority PitStop, VA Self Installs- MGP Caliper Covers, RPI Air Scoops, BMS Power Box, Angel I Bright 3.0A, R1 Premium D/S Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, M5 Trunk Finisher, LCI LED Tail Lamps with Bruce Miranda v6.1 cable, HID 6K Fogs with Canbus Ballasts, 6K License Plate Lights, Stealth Matte Black Grille, 3M Shadowline Blackout tape, 6K Interior LED kit. Retired: Umnitza Quad Exhaust

Try my setup. I am very happy with what i have now. I had Umnitza Exhausts similar to the Remus Quads. They are good, but does not look great from the rear.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...1#entry1439842
Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by tonyb635
...and what would silence the right side?
A muffler ...

Originally Posted by SU530XI
Try my setup. I am very happy with what i have now. I had Umnitza Exhausts similar to the Remus Quads. They are good, but does not look great from the rear.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...1#entry1439842
Really nice setup.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
A muffler ... OK, I missed that in your sketch and I am going to have to drop the cover and see how much available space is there. From the pics,. I don't see how it can be done. Do you know of anyone that has managed to get something in there?

Really nice setup.