E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530d (UK ) Hi-Fi Upgrade - What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

Nelson29...thanks very much for the info...swweeeeeeeeeett setup in your car man.

Couple of questions. - I see you have gone with some sort of custom speaker mount for the front doors and put your tweeters in the pillar. Did you put anything under the front seats? What are you using in the back and where did you stick them?

Brian - Thanks again man...more good info and food for thought. Why does it seem to be such a pain in the arse to get decent ICE in one of our cars! Am going to chat to the audio guy on Monday now that I have so much more to think about.

(maybe I should just buy a battery powered boom box and stick it on the back seat )
Old 09-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by zimguy' post='464855' date='Sep 1 2007, 04:36 PM
Nelson29...thanks very much for the info...swweeeeeeeeeett setup in your car man.

Couple of questions. - I see you have gone with some sort of custom speaker mount for the front doors and put your tweeters in the pillar. Did you put anything under the front seats? What are you using in the back and where did you stick them?

Brian - Thanks again man...more good info and food for thought. Why does it seem to be such a pain in the arse to get decent ICE in one of our cars! Am going to chat to the audio guy on Monday now that I have so much more to think about.

(maybe I should just buy a battery powered boom box and stick it on the back seat )
I have nothing under the seat. theres not that much room to work under there. the 7" speakers i have in the doors pumps out plenty of midbass. you also got to keep in mind that tuning is the most important aspect of car audio. you can have the most expensive components, amps, etc and if not tune right it will sound bad.

looking back if i knew what i know now i wouldnt go with the alpine hub. i went with the hub because i had an alpine navigation from my previous car and the changer. if your car has nav, mp3 capability, and an ipod interface skip the hub.

If i was you guys i would looking into getting one of this factory system processors like the JBL ms-8 or the alpine pxe-h650 or the audiocontrol dql-8.

heres some links

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/sho...ead.php?t=63407
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qX2Euc89Ere/c...hDisplay=Alpine
http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product....oduct_id=231512

i also found this video on the jbl ms-8.
http://www.12volt.com/index.php?option=com...Itemid=88889221

I would also suggest to try not to buy a lot of your equipment from your shop. the euro is stronger than the dollar. try to buy stuff on the states. i got a lot of my equipment from car audio forums.

im really liking the audiocontrol interface. it got a great review on a car audio magazine. and is also the only thats available.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Members

Nelson29, what was wrong with the Focals, lack of power or quality or both? Lack of power I can live with.

I'm pretty set on using the stock locations to keep cost down and keep it practical as this is an everyday car for me. Tweeters on the A pillar are about as adventurous as I'm going to get with this install. I'm also prepared to compromise on the optimum speaker layout as I've already made compromises by sticking to the BMW head unit and I'm using MP3s (from my iPod) as my source. My days of building an out and out audiophile system in my car are long gone.

Do you have any links to the Earthquakes?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Contributors

I have two SWS-8 Subs and a set of 2x Focal components sitting in their boxes unused (and hence for sale!). I bought them for my E60 but never got round to fitting, and I have a new E60 on order (with individual audio option!) so these will never get used. I did buy two sets of the Focal components and fitted one set to the rear parcel shelf and added an amp, and the improvement over the standard stock was excellent. I'm selling the car with those still fitted.

Drop me a PM with an offer or for more info on the SWS-8 subs or Focal components. I bought them based on recommendations from this board. I will ship to UK only. All unused and unfitted!