E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530d is now remapped

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='241216' date='Feb 16 2006, 12:05 PM
I took to remap my 535D to an Upsolute distributor in Spain

later on, I took it to an independent dyno to measure.

Std 272 hp remap 329,7 at 4150 rpm Aprox 20% gain

560 Nm 660 Nm 17%

Speed limitator was eliminated too
Upsolute is said to apply conservative modification to original software.

Since it is delivered only with Steptronic gearbox, it has a fluid torque converter. Thus eliminating clutch problems although causing some loss of inmediate torque transmission to wheels.
Not that different to mine then after she was DMS'd
Old 02-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='241218
A remapped 530d (218bhp) reliably only should reach 260bhp max so dont worry mate. You still got a cracker of the car.

Anyways the 231bhp part is NOT correct, he has the earlier 218bhp engine... And w8pmc, it is entirely possible , it just shortens the life of the components. If you speak to Rob at DMS , he will tell you that the 3litre biturbo engine (535d) is good enough for 400bhp and in excess of 750nm, but simply that this would affect reliability in the medium run.

DMS tweaks cars to safe and reasonable levels.. some other tuners DONT .. simple as that !

just to give an example. Speaking of the RS6 Wetterauer offers a gain of 75bhp and 120nm for only ?950 quid ..... so tuners vary
http://www.wetterauer.de/chiptuning/...tt.php?id=1496
Old 02-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='241220' date='Feb 16 2006, 12:20 PM
i think i put this forward in the right way ????
Anyways the 231bhp part is NOT correct, he has the earlier 218bhp engine... And w8pmc, it is entirely possible , it just shortens the life of the components. If you speak to Rob at DMS , he will tell you that the 3litre biturbo engine (535d) is good enough for 400bhp and in excess of 750nm, but simply that this would affect reliability in the medium run.

DMS tweaks cars to safe and reasonable levels.. some other tuners DONT .. simple as that !
I know Rob fairly well & we've raced a couple times in the past at VMAX, but i still stand by the fact that a re-map alone can't produce those figures. If i'm wrong, then i'm very wrong & sorry.

In order to see those sort of gains, you'd need major mechanical modifications or the car would surely just blow up the 1st time you pushed it?? I can't see that any of the 530 or 535D's mechanics coping with 400BHP.

You'd have to be insane to put those kind of increased stress's on your car.

So let me get this straight then, companies out their have re-maps available for the 530D & i guess the 535D as well, that can increase the BHP by close to & over 100BHP & over 200NM??

I'm amazed beyond belief if that's the case.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='241222' date='Feb 16 2006, 05:26 PM
I know Rob fairly well & we've raced a couple times in the past at VMAX, but i still stand by the fact that a re-map alone can't produce those figures. If i'm wrong, then i'm very wrong & sorry.

In order to see those sort of gains, you'd need major mechanical modifications or the car would surely just blow up the 1st time you pushed it?? I can't see that any of the 530 or 535D's mechanics coping with 400BHP.

You'd have to be insane to put those kind of increased stress's on your car.

So let me get this straight then, companies out their have re-maps available for the 530D & i guess the 535D as well, that can increase the BHP by close to & over 100BHP & over 200NM??

I'm amazed beyond belief if that's the case.
I see your point. But ask Rob, when they did an article for the 535d DMS in evo, they specifically stated that according to DMS the car is good for much more, but they have pegged it back a bit !! also notice that in the original EVO review of the car DMS had tweaked the car to 521lbsft but then in their adverts they had revised this figure quoting 506 or 507 if my memory serves me right...

So yes your really stressing your components, but do note that they have quite a wide tolerance and can handle the increased horsepwer. As for it blowing up , it wont do it on the 1st time but with that kind of crazy figures i would imagine in 6-8 months you will have BIG problems with teh turbo...

Anyways Skaffa is well known here so i have no reason to dispute him

/look at this BTW for 535d
http://www.wetterauer.de/chiptuning/...tt.php?id=2458
http://www.wetterauer.de/chiptuning/...tt.php?id=2238
Old 02-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='241220' date='Feb 16 2006, 12:20 PM
i think i put this forward in the right way ????

just to give an example. Speaking of the RS6 Wetterauer offers a gain of 75bhp and 120nm for only ?950 quid ..... so tuners vary
http://www.wetterauer.de/chiptuning/...tt.php?id=1496
Being their is very little i don't know about RS6 tuning i almost guarantee you that the tuner you mention has a very kind rolling road. The de-facto RS6 tuners are MTM & AmD & they both quote almost the same, that being about 505BHP from a re-map alone & the same likeness in torque output. Most re-maps at different tuners are copies, so very few do custom bespoke re-mapping.

To safely get above these figures, internals like turbos, intercoolers & oil coolers need changing & in an RS6, you'd need to get the tiptronic hearbox re-mapped as well being this is an RS6 weak spot.

I'm amazed if it's true that some tuners choose to over power a car in such a way as to knowingly cause mechanical failure as the tuner in question for the OP's 530D will certainly be doing & even perhaps the company you mention above.

I'll stay with the tried & tested methods & enjoy my car for what it is & what it's meant to be. The DMS re-map will be the only modification to my 535D.

Just to re-iterate (being fairly new on here), i'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, but modifying is something i'm fairly knowledgable about & as such the OP's claims seemed a little over optimisitic, but perhaps not being a BMW expert, i'm wrong about the gains achievable from just a re-map.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

i agree ! caution should be taken when remapping and picking a tuner but wetterauer is de-facto one of the biggest and most respected tuners for bmw in germany with hs and kelleners sport...

in the end if you are happy knowing that your stretching your cars mechanics then its up to you !
Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Years ago I saw an old Zodiac with wide steel wheels and twin exhast pipes, the bootlid inscription read something like:

6.0 Litre 32 valve twin turbo nitrous injection - by Bullsh*t Racing.

It isn't always what you know about tuning, you sometimes have to allow for the human race
Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='241229' date='Feb 16 2006, 12:46 PM
i agree ! caution should be taken when remapping and picking a tuner but wetterauer is de-facto one of the biggest and most respected tuners for bmw in germany with hs and kelleners sport...
in the end if you are happy knowing that your stretching your cars mechanics then its up to you !
Not knowing much about German tuners with the exception of MTM, if the ones you mention are good then i'm fine with that.

I'd certainly not want to stretch my car even close to it's limitations so i'll stick where i am & with the figures i've got. Only decided on DMS, as i know them, i know Rob & i've a couple of friends who have used DMS, aslong with the reports i read on here prior to collecting my car. But i'll be doing no more to my car than i've done already.

I knew of RS6's that were close to & over 600BHP so i was comfortable taking mine to 560BHP, knowing i still had margin, however my car still destroyed a gearbox & the replacement cost was ?15000 including labour, which to my fortune was covered under Audi warranty.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by blingo' post='241236' date='Feb 16 2006, 01:01 PM
Years ago I saw an old Zodiac with wide steel wheels and twin exhast pipes, the bootlid inscription read something like:

6.0 Litre 32 valve twin turbo nitrous injection - by Bullsh*t Racing.

It isn't always what you know about tuning, you sometimes have to allow for the human race
*LOL* & very true.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='241217' date='Feb 16 2006, 12:05 PM
no it is possible although normally it depends on how the engine is tweaked for example the 350z spec r has 20bhp more than the standard car and 11nm less ...

A remapped 530d (218bhp) reliably only should reach 260bhp max so dont worry mate. You still got a cracker of the car. As i have tried to explain on a number of occasions, max torque does not matter, torque distribution does.

If you tweak the ignition timings and the rate at which the piezo(is that spelled right)-injectors open and close, while keeping a certain level of boost from the turbocharger, you can achieve higher torque, while at the same time not increasing the horsepower figure

/immediate, stop advertising that tuner all the time
OK 700700. I will not mention them again.
Don?t be suspicious. I have no relationship at all with them. In the UK you have the very best tuners available. If I tell you the truth it was due to reading about british tuners that I decided to do something with my car.

Quick Reply: 530d is now remapped