E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530 Suspension upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for asking this again but I have done a lot of searches and just confused myself.
Looking more for a ride of the sport model, do not want to be beat up.
Do I need lowering springs - Eibach?
New shocks? any brand recommendations?
Sway bars?
Bigger wheels and tires?

Any help with set up and brands will be much appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving to all
Old 11-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by nonames123' post='731856' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:23 AM
Sorry for asking this again but I have done a lot of searches and just confused myself.
Sway bars?
Bigger wheels and tires?

Any help with set up and brands will be much appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving to all
All of the items above will give you a better (more sport like) ride. So the next question will be what order you would go in, Id say depending on your wheel tires set up, id start with shocks and springs, then go wheels, then sway bars. That is unless you have the funds to do it all at once, then I say go for it all...

So unless your running on 16", you should definitely go springs/shocks 1st. Some folks on here will recommend coil-overs, but IMHO they are pretty pricey, so if cost is an issue you could probably do a spring/shock combo for about $800 installed.

When you upgrade just wheels tires you'll notice a difference in the way your car grips thru turns, but your body roll will remain the same. When you upgrade your springs/shock and not the tires you'll notice less body roll, but you'll feel your tires maxing out more. (sliding more sideways). As you find the balance between both tires/wheels and shocks/springs you will get the sport like feel you are looking for. Wheels are usually prefered 1st, because you get the visual effect of your hard earned cash, but I am sure once you do 1, your gonna want the other as well.

As for shock recommdations, Bilstein and Koni are some pretty good brands. I wouldnt go to adjustable shocks, as even thought they are nice to have, how many times are you really gonna manually adjust them? If you really think about it, you drive the way you drive in the city, so if your driving characteristics are not changing, why get adjustables?

I know some more experienced members will chime in, but to each is own. Do your research on here and fine what will work best for you.

GL and Happy Turkey Day
Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='731909' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:26 AM
All of the items above will give you a better (more sport like) ride. So the next question will be what order you would go in, Id say depending on your wheel tires set up, id start with shocks and springs, then go wheels, then sway bars. That is unless you have the funds to do it all at once, then I say go for it all...

So unless your running on 16", you should definitely go springs/shocks 1st. Some folks on here will recommend coil-overs, but IMHO they are pretty pricey, so if cost is an issue you could probably do a spring/shock combo for about $800 installed.

When you upgrade just wheels tires you'll notice a difference in the way your car grips thru turns, but your body roll will remain the same. When you upgrade your springs/shock and not the tires you'll notice less body roll, but you'll feel your tires maxing out more. (sliding more sideways). As you find the balance between both tires/wheels and shocks/springs you will get the sport like feel you are looking for. Wheels are usually prefered 1st, because you get the visual effect of your hard earned cash, but I am sure once you do 1, your gonna want the other as well.

As for shock recommdations, Bilstein and Koni are some pretty good brands. I wouldnt go to adjustable shocks, as even thought they are nice to have, how many times are you really gonna manually adjust them? If you really think about it, you drive the way you drive in the city, so if your driving characteristics are not changing, why get adjustables?

I know some more experienced members will chime in, but to each is own. Do your research on here and fine what will work best for you.

GL and Happy Turkey Day
Thanks for taking the time with your reply - You provided very good information and cleared up the issue for me.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nonames123' post='731856' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:23 AM
Sway bars?
Bigger wheels and tires?

A good suspension system with matched parts can make a big difference. I am happy with my OEM sport pkg suspension but had a Dinan Stg 2 in my old E46 M3 and thought it was great. Don't just pick parts without understanding how they will work togther...

Visit My Website
Old 11-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

on my 530, Im running on eibach pro-kit (said to give the most similar ride in terms of stock comfort) and Bilstein sport shocks (gave a more sportier feel). in my opinion, sway bars arent necessarily needed unless you do a lot of spirited driving, but thats just me. wheels and tires, going wider will help as well with the body roll but not too much. even with the springs and shocks I still get some body roll (non-sport here so no stock sways). sent you a PM as well btw
Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I went through the exact same dilema as you, and bought wheels in the summer and have recently bought H&R sport springs and bilstein sport shocks. If money is a concern take your time and be patient stuff always comes up in the classifieds. I bought all my stuff used and got great prices on everything and the products were is prestine condition hardly used.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Take a look at Eibach Pro-kit springs with Koni FSD struts -- might be a good fit for what you want.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='733841' date='Nov 29 2008, 08:51 AM
Take a look at Eibach Pro-kit springs with Koni FSD struts -- might be a good fit for what you want.
Really ? I installed Eibach Pro-kit but still in stock shock. Under searching which shock is good fit.