E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

4.4L Engine Chip Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 7 2005, 04:27 AM
I'm nearly convinced that Wetterauer is the leader in this 4.4L chipping game, but due to logistics may go Upsolute route first as the cost of disappointment is less (~$400 versus near $1200 for Wetterauer)? and the logistics are simpler for me (drive to vendor and they do it versus my removing and shipping to Germany and reinstall after return - what happens if it doesn't work right??)
You're in FL. I'm in CA. Germany is still far either way.
A local vendor seems to be a more "practical/economical" solution.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:44 AM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Oct 7 2005, 04:27 AM']I'm nearly convinced that Wetterauer is the leader in this 4.4L chipping game, but due to logistics may go Upsolute route first as the cost of disappointment is less (~$400 versus near $1200 for Wetterauer)? and the logistics are simpler for me (drive to vendor and they do it versus my removing and shipping to Germany and reinstall after return - what happens if it doesn't work right??)
[snapback]180865[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have an ignorant question.
1. Why doesn't BMW offer its own chipping upgrade?
2. Better yet, why didn't BMW programmed a better ECU if these aftermarkets are better?
3. How accurate are the increase performance claims?

Upsolute claimes near 550i HP/torque spec for $400? Hmm . . . if it's true, I would jump on it.

If BMW offered upgraded ECU for much less cost than a stock 550i price difference, I would do it too.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 7 2005, 01:14 PM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:44 AM'][quote name='cobradav' date='Oct 7 2005, 04:27 AM']I'm nearly convinced that Wetterauer is the leader in this 4.4L chipping game, but due to logistics may go Upsolute route first as the cost of disappointment is less (~$400 versus near $1200 for Wetterauer)? and the logistics are simpler for me (drive to vendor and they do it versus my removing and shipping to Germany and reinstall after return - what happens if it doesn't work right??)
[snapback]180865[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have an ignorant question.
1. Why doesn't BMW offer its own chipping upgrade?
2. Better yet, why didn't BMW programmed a better ECU if these aftermarkets are better?
3. How accurate are the increase performance claims?

Upsolute claimes near 550i HP/torque spec for $400? Hmm . . . if it's true, I would jump on it.

If BMW offered upgraded ECU for much less cost than a stock 550i price difference, I would do it too.
[snapback]180952[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you go to these sites I listed, they have a common theme for 1 & 2:
I'll quote one vendor here but the theme repeats with other vendors.

"The software in the ECU control Fe. the ignition timing, fuel supply, turbo-boost, etc. to get the best possible performance. And that's exactly the problem. The manufacturer has to compromise many facts. The reasons for this are:

1) differences in the fuel quality in different countries
2) exhaust emission by using bad fuel
3) overdrafts of service-intervals
4) different driver-profiles
5) weather-factor (extreme heat and frostiness)
6) country-specific exhaust values
7) financial reasons like insurance-grades

So the manufacturer needs to be content with a compromise-solution to ally all these facts. There are also big fabrication tolerances, which the manufacturer wants to avoid by restricting the ECU software. The result is a pretty weak and conservative software for your car's ECU.

Our task is to eliminate this compromises. We optimize and individualize the software of your car in a way, which leaves reserves for tolerances, but not with the intensity of the manufacturer. The software is individually developed for your country (petrol quality, emission... ) to keep the car/engine within all these tolerances."

and from another vendor

"Of all the major advantages that Powerchip has over its competitors is our attention to ensuring that the maximum benefits are gained where you need it most. Our customers have told us that the vast majority of their driving is spent in stop/start major city road, built up traffic, and on freeways.

Most of our customers do not get the opportunity to use their car at 'full throttle' for any more than a few minutes per day.

In the engine management system, the car's mapping is separated into two distinct areas - part throttle and full throttle. The car has a different set of instructions that it uses based on the driver's foot and where it is in relation to the accelerator travel.

The position of the accelerator is referred to as throttle position, and it is normally expressed in percentages. When the car is at idle, it is at 0-10% throttle position.

In normal driving, the driver is varying the throttle position input constantly, which means that the area of change we make is very noticeable on the road.

Full Throttle

The place that most red-blooded males like their foot to be is flush against the carpet on full throttle, and the dynamometer measures on full throttle.

The important aspect of full throttle tuning is discovering the areas where advancing ignition spark timing is possible, whilst balancing this against pinging (usually at the point of peak torque), particularly on gear changes."

Your #3. Are these claims legit, well I don't know, but at least in Germany, where several of these tuners reside, they must satisfy the TUV requirements to be able to state the numbers they do. I believe much like the FTC truth in advertising that talks place in the US. You'll also notice some variability in the claims in my original matrix. Appears some tune for HP while others focus on torque. I am inclined to the torque side of the equation myself.

Also if one were to read the Dinan White Paper on chip (or any type) tuning one would get the sense that one really needs to rely on the integrity of the vendor as Dyno results are almost meaningless unless you know exactly the conditions of testing.

Youse pays your $$ and takes your chances, its a crap shoot
Old 10-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 5 2005, 12:26 PM
From what I've read, looks like some on this board have done DMS and Powerchip.? I've been looking into Upsolute myself.? My contact here didn't mention anything about possible problems with certain e60 models.? Please keep us posted if you do go with Upsolute and I'll do the same so everyone can benefit from out feedback.

I've also contacted Kelleners USA for a NorCal distributor but they're taking days to reply.
[snapback]179958[/snapback]

I have an appt. with an Upsolute dealer next week Saturday (10/15/2005). I'll let everyone know if my ECU will be compatible for the chip install.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by choi000' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:34 PM
I have an appt. with an Upsolute dealer next week Saturday (10/15/2005). I'll let everyone know if my ECU will be compatible for the chip install.
[snapback]181166[/snapback]
choi000,

Noticed that you're in my neck of the woods.
What city is upsolute located in around here and is your appointment at a technician's house or an actual garage/shop?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

PowerChip is located here in So Cal. They're very good from what I know. I would highly recommend them. I'll PM you with more info.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 7 2005, 10:17 PM
PowerChip is located here in So Cal. They're very good from what I know. I would highly recommend them. I'll PM you with more info.
[snapback]181193[/snapback]
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:51 PM
[quote name='choi000' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:34 PM']I have an appt. with an Upsolute dealer next week Saturday (10/15/2005). I'll let everyone know if my ECU will be compatible for the chip install.
choi000,

What city is upsolute located in around here and is your appointment at a technician's house or an actual garage/shop?
[snapback]181179[/snapback]
[/quote]

Upsolute is located in Chino Hills at the technician's house. They don't have a shop/garage. I guess its to keep their costs low. The technician's name is Lanny.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by choi000' date='Oct 8 2005, 10:06 AM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:51 PM'][quote name='choi000' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:34 PM']I have an appt. with an Upsolute dealer next week Saturday (10/15/2005). I'll let everyone know if my ECU will be compatible for the chip install.
choi000,

[/quote]

Upsolute is located in Chino Hills at the technician's house. They don't have a shop/garage. I guess its to keep their costs low. The technician's name is Lanny.
[snapback]181309[/snapback]
[/quote]
OK, thanks choi.
I'm looking forward to your update after the appointment you set next week.

If you (by any chance) have access to a dyno, it might be a good idea to do a pre and post results.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 8 2005, 07:12 PM
[quote name='choi000' date='Oct 8 2005, 10:06 AM'][quote name='Centurion' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:51 PM'][quote name='choi000' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:34 PM']I have an appt. with an Upsolute dealer next week Saturday (10/15/2005). I'll let everyone know if my ECU will be compatible for the chip install.
choi000,

[/quote]

[snapback]181309[/snapback]
[/quote]
OK, thanks choi.
I'm looking forward to your update after the appointment you set next week.

If you (by any chance) have access to a dyno, it might be a good idea to do a pre and post results.
[snapback]181528[/snapback]
[/quote]

It would be cool if I could find a dyno to use for the before and after the chipping, however, I don't think I'm going to find a shop that will be willing to do a dyno run with out charging. But I'll definitely keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: 4.4L Engine Chip Tuning