E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

4.4L Engine Chip Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Here is what I have found to date on the chip tuning for the 4.4L engine in the x45s.

Kelleners web site states they "read out" your ECU, send the electronic code to Germany and they in turn return the modified electonic code. No removal of ECU.

H&S also has chip for 550i. Same claimed increases for 4.8L - 29 HP and 28 ft/lb torque.

Chart figures represent best data from either the vendors 545 or 645 claims.

EDITED 4 OCT 05: Added Powerchip and where I could the difference in 545/645 claims (may have missed one or two here). I also added the data for DMS as supplied by swajames (thanks) as I have not heard back from them in response to my email for information.

In reference to request for stock number or "part" number. None exist as best I can tell. This is software/firmware. They are using YOUR chip(s). So on their respective web sites they identify the car/engine and you go with that.

Revised data:
Attached Thumbnails 4.4L Engine Chip Tuning-chip_tuning_research.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Good info cobradav. I am waiting to see what Dinan says and does.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Hey Cobradav. Just a thought, how about putting the stock numbers on the graph as well for easy reference.

Maybe we should have a depository for all this type of reference info in a sub-forum like the FAQ page...but for aftermarket performance claims/metrics.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Titanium gray poplar l Sports package l Logic 7 l PDC NAV l sunshades l chromed 124's l ski bag l euro tint

I , it would make for easier searching / comparing
Old 10-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Cobradav, as I understand it, DMS are claiming a gain of around 27hp and around 13 lb/ft.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

So I am curious to know, how many of you here have gotten their E60's chipped and with which brand? Another question is how many of you that did get their E60's chipped are located in North America? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out how to get my E60 chipped. I talked to a rep from Upsolute and I was told that not all E60's in the U.S. has the ability to be chipped because the ECU's isn't compatible. He told me that the ECU's in Europe and the ECU's in North America are different and that's why it's easier to get your E60's chipped in Europe. Anyone know or heard about this? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

From what I've read, looks like some on this board have done DMS and Powerchip. I've been looking into Upsolute myself. My contact here didn't mention anything about possible problems with certain e60 models. Please keep us posted if you do go with Upsolute and I'll do the same so everyone can benefit from out feedback.

I've also contacted Kelleners USA for a NorCal distributor but they're taking days to reply.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by choi000' date='Oct 5 2005, 03:38 PM
So I am curious to know, how many of you here have gotten their E60's chipped and with which brand? Another question is how many of you that did get their E60's chipped are located in North America? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out how to get my E60 chipped. I talked to a rep from Upsolute and I was told that not all E60's in the U.S. has the ability to be chipped because the ECU's isn't compatible. He told me that the ECU's in Europe and the ECU's in North America are different and that's why it's easier to get your E60's chipped in Europe. Anyone know or heard about this? Thanks!
[snapback]179921[/snapback]
Only one 545 reported so far (UK) and one 530i was scheduled in Illinois. Other than that only research so far. Reports from the 545 owner so far have been seat of the pants observations (good). I'm sure there are some more out there but not reported on this board yet. I have even tried some of the chip tuning vendor forums hoping to find a BMW 4.4L happy (or not) camper, but to no avail yet.

Upsolute made no mention of there being any uniqueness in NA or Europe ECUs, but that does make sense due to emissions and petrol differences and possibly other issues. However, the vendors appear to have the ability to recognize this as they read the current code and record it for possible restoration to original configuration. Then they prepare the new code for remap after asking pertinent questions. I have to believe these reputable vendors account for some local/regional/national conditions. For instance we know from some communications that they tailor to California 91 octane or ROUS 93 octane for example.

With the price of the Upsolute, availablility near me and 30 day money back warrenty I may just try it out. But I really like the Wetterauer claims best of all, especially how they claim an earlier and higher torqur increase at low-mid rpm. Seems to be in my normal operating range more than most. But shoot its just for giggles anyway, I'm not racing the darn thing.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

With info popping up in several threads, all over the place, it's nice to have everything summarized into this one thread.
Thanks cobradav.
I too think Wetteraurer or H&S has the product I'm looking for but not sure as to their business practices.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 6 2005, 02:46 AM
With info popping up in several threads, all over the place, it's nice to have everything summarized into this one thread.
Thanks cobradav.
I too think Wetteraurer or H&S has the product I'm looking for but not sure as to their business practices.
[snapback]180293[/snapback]
Here is a series of posts from one 645 owner that did his remap through Wetterauer. Note that he did the removal and reinstall based on their instructions and had to ship it off. I left out my questioning posts but in general I asked him to give me his assessment, and since he did some other mods I asked if they were at same time as chip or not. My takeaway was that Wetterauer is a good and reputable company and Iceman has also stated that several times in the past on this chipping subject. I'm nearly convinced that Wetterauer is the leader in this 4.4L chipping game, but due to logistics may go Upsolute route first as the cost of disappointment is less (~$400 versus near $1200 for Wetterauer) and the logistics are simpler for me (drive to vendor and they do it versus my removing and shipping to Germany and reinstall after return - what happens if it doesn't work right??)

Anyway the posts:

"1) Had my 645ci chip by Wetterauer, I can feel an increase in low-end torque and the car is more eager to be drive fast. You'll have to send the entire DME unit to germany, they will reprogram the ECU and ship it back the next day. I not sure if I get better 0-60 mile time result, but I think it is worth it. You can speak to the boss directly, his name is Frank Wetterauer.

2) The guys at Wetterauer are very friendly. They gave me a detail instruction on how to remove and install the DME unit. It took me about 30 minutes to remove the DME unit. The removal process is quite straight forward. The DME unit is located at the front passenger side; underneath the windshield. I did the ECU tuning before any CIP upgrades, but have had a BMW service done after. So far the BMW service advisor are unable to detect any tampering with the ECU(electronically). Frank Wetterauer did mention that CIP upgrades that did not contain any patches which make changes to the DME's engine mapping is totally safe. He does however recommend we request the service centre to unplug the DME unit, if the CIP patches include changing the engine mapping.

3) No problem, I will be more than happy the provide more details. My car is a 2004 645ci with steptronic tranny. Did the ECU upgrade when the car had about 2,500km(approx 1,500 miles), and currently running at about 3,800km. I am currently located in Indonesia, but bought my car for a gray car importer, who import the car for U.K. I have not measured excatly the fuel consumption after the chip upgrade, but I don't think there is any improvement in the fuel economy.

4) The biggest improvement is the acceleration between 2,500-5,500 rpm at all 6 gear. The car feels much more eager to accelerate than before, the engine seem to rev faster and throttle is much more responsive. The engine is more torquier now. According to their (Wetterauer) specs the torque increase from 450nm to 495nm. Overall, I am very happy with this upgrade and likely to have my next bimmer being chip by Wetterauer again. I also changed the stock air filter to K&N's, and changed my exhaust to Eisenmann race with 4x83mm tips. I have posted the sound clip of my exhaust at Eisenmann UK.

http://www.eisenmann.co.uk/ex-sound-...BMW-645-Ci.mpg

5) Done the air filter and the exhaust at the same time, but I cannot really feel and difference in the performance. The ECU upgrade is the only aftermarket upgrade that actually feel you are getting better performance from your engine. I might be planning to change the exhaust header and catalytic to Racing Dynamic, they claimed 25hp increase."

Quick Reply: 4.4L Engine Chip Tuning