E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2008 E60 520D Speaker and Sub Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.
Just go my E60 520D with Idrive and pro nav. Like everyone else was disappointed with the sound. I am in Australia and have only the 6 speaker version, 2 in front door, 2 x subs and 2 x parcel shelf.

I have spent the last 3 days reading up on Audio upgrade options (what a headache)and lots of people recommend the THA-555 amp however it seem to be discontinued from most places.
Does someone have an alternative that they would recommend.
I really like the THA-555 option as it was PNP with the correct harness and went straight into the
I don't want to cut into wires if i can help it as i will replace the OEM unit with i sell the car.

Can anyone offer some help as to what i should look at buying.
I guess i will need an an amp, speakers for doors and parcel shelf and 2x subs- earthquakes 8" seem like the go.
I would like to install it myself to avoid the extra expense so the simpler the install the better.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Congrats, great car. Certainly adequate power and mindblowing fuel economy. Probably faster than an M5 in real life as the M5 would have to stop and refuel at least 3 times for every time the 520d stops once. Sound is also good for a diesel but not as such exciting, although it has a nice raaasp in 3rd when you downshift without touching the throttle and it's got high revs, like 4000 rpm.

OK back on cue, the subs you refer to are not subs as such, but rather speakers that occupy the sub-cabinet. The wires there are inline with the door speakers, and if you mount an amp in the trunk there is no wiring harness to plug in to and you have no dedicated sub wires going into the subs. I have the exact same setup and I'm in the process of upgrading. I got the Logic7 tweeter and mid-range for the door and I've ordered a set of Earthquake SWS-8 and a TNT T1000W2 amp which according to Earthquake can handle the high power input that I will get, by tapping into the rear speakers input. There are other DIY's out there but I still plan to upload one when I'm done in a week or two (subs are delayed again and again!). Btw my car is an LCI touring with professional stereo but the base (non US) speaker setup.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Members

Thanks, I love the car it is fantastic. A beauty to drive.

Because i am doing it myself i am trying to make it as simple as possible.
I have found a THA-555 and can get the wiring harness so this makes it PNP, my only problems is the speakers under the seat.
So if i can run the harness from the OEM deck to the back THA-555 AMP i would then just need to run new "SUB" wiring to the drivers under the seat.
Do i understand that correctly.
So what you are saying is the speakers under the seat are inline with the speakers in the doors that means there is no direct wiring from the OEM amp in the back to them.
I would assume that it should be to difficult to run some new wiring from the THA-555 Amp in the trunk to the subs.
Can you run both the subs off the 5 channel on the amp.

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it.\

Travis
Old 12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

for cars with an oem amp, the subs are not inline with the door speakers; there's an output from the HU to the subs, or so I've read; but your car wont have that dedicated wiring, as best I can surmise.

Running dedicated wires from the amp in the trunk to the subs should be fairly easy and that's what I'm planning to do.

I don't know the amp you are talking about even if I've seen it mentioned often in this forum, as a good choice for powering the subs.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Btw there's a pom newbie with a 520d and same basic setup, looking to do similar mods, perhaps you should link up?

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...5#entry1278645
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Members

OK.

I think i have it sorted now.
This is what i am going to get.
1 x THA-555 Amp with PNP wiring adaptor for the car
2 x Earthquake SWS 8" subs for under each set.
1 par of FOCAL 4" 100 KRS speakers for the front doors. Also includes tweeters.
I may get a second par for the back parcel shelf but will wait and see how the sound goes.

Just need to get some extra wire and stuff.
Found this thread very very helpful for installing the amp.
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/bmw-t...ml#post1312474

And this one for installing the Amp and Sub.
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/bmw-5...-e60-535d.html

Should have all the stuff in the next few weeks and will let you know how it all goes.

Trav
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Members

How did you get on with this?

I'm considering the THA-555 and Earthquake sub option too and am starting from the same basis as you (though I've already installed tweeters in the doors)
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

in my opinion the earthquakes suck. if i were u i would ditch the stock 4 inchs and have custom pods made for 6.5 inch speakers on the lower part of the front doors. and fabricate the parcel cutout for 6.5s that way u can get more wattage out of those and get a fuller range of frequencies. the 4's dont offer any mid bass and if u try to cross them over at too low of a hertz they distort easily. buy a qaulity 150x4 amp and some good 6.5s and run them home. thts what i plan on doing in the future. the 4's just sound tinny to me and theres a
'gap" of frequencys from the 4's to the subs in the trunk
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M Sport Titan Silver with Black Leather Interior, Style 172 19s, Sunroof, Professional Nav CCC Retrofit (thanks Patryk), Bluetooth.

Hey Saber007,

I would also be interested to know how you got on with this.

I have a Dec '06 530d which I think has the same set up as your car, but mine has tweeters in the A pillar...definitely has speakers in the front doors, parcel shelf and under the seats. I have to agree with everyone that the Bass in particular is non-existent!

I just upgraded my Navi Unit from MASK to CCC, and getting it reprogrammed next week, so am looking to now upgrade the sound to go with it...also looking at a Dension iPod interface once everything is up and running.

I'd love to know what you decided to go with, and how much it all cost...
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Members

It is now all installed and finished.
Sound is great.
Just trying to tweak it a bit.

Took me ages to install, over several weekends. Not hard but just time consuming.

Installed new speakers in the doors and parcel shelf at the back.
Put in the subs and ran new cable for them.
The amp is mounted on the roof of the boot.

All up it cost me about $15-1800 by the time i was done. About half the price if i had got it fitted locally.

Quick Reply: 2008 E60 520D Speaker and Sub Upgrade