E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2008 535 LCI Down Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i - JB4, DCI, ar DPs, B&B exhaust, Meth kit, H&R Sport Springs

Originally Posted by mazekid15
Noooo.. catless way to go

Its okay you'll be fine

My installers got them in. Was a nightmare, there just tricky. Gotta put them in at the same time! Literally took 8 hours though. I think if I want them in they'll get damaged on uninstallation. Maybe like break the weld and then reweld it back together after. I'm definitely selling these with my car.

AR could make you wait FOREVER! I ordered through Modbargains so they put more pressure on them. If your an individual buyer it could take some time. Dude if your doing this with a TUNE the downpipes are wild. Real nice upgrade. Running 15PSI and I'm HAULING ass. cant wait for COOL air
Unfortunately with California CARB rules, I'm definitely not going to pass with catless downpipes. And being a little tight with money, I didn't want to spend 8 hours twice (two remove and replace) each time I need to get a smog test.

I'll see if I can just keep calling ar design and see if they're able to get me the downpipes sooner rather than later. I've already paid ar design, so it's now a replacement process.

Are you able to run 15 psi with just 93 octane or you running something higher? Yeah, I've already got the JB4 and DCI's installed and am VERY happy with that. Finding an intercooler upgrade for the 5series is tough though. :-/
Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

ugh... I don't like these stories about how hard these are to install. I wanted to do it myself.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing this out there unless you have a after market exhaust then getting downpipes makes no sense since the stock exhaust diameter would be restricting, so anyone thinking about dps get a 3" or already 2.5" exhaust first.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i - JB4, DCI, ar DPs, B&B exhaust, Meth kit, H&R Sport Springs

@mazekid15

Looking at the performance improvement you're seeing/feeling, do you have an upgraded exhaust as well as the dp's?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Was there any videos posted? Curious on how it sounds.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Just throwing this out there unless you have a after market exhaust then getting downpipes makes no sense since the stock exhaust diameter would be restricting, so anyone thinking about dps get a 3" or already 2.5" exhaust first.
+1. It's the weakest link!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

My Ride: E60 550i

Originally Posted by mazekid15
AR DOWNPIPES INSTALLED! Wow what a bitch, I dont think they'll EVER come out but wow what a difference! I havent even retuned the map yet and this think is BEASTLY. I think after the tune I'll be flyyinggg... I really felt bad for these guys installing. It just wouldnt go in one at a time, you had to put em both in. The whistle sounds nice after I shift each gear. Its such a sleeper I love this f-ing car. Thinking of intercooler still but havent really overheated. Car runs like balls in the heat though.

Ill post a vid soon
You won't overheat from having hot charge air. Heat soak just leads to lower HP. Juicebox offers a upgraded intercooler don't they?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmerzone
You won't overheat from having hot charge air. Heat soak just leads to lower HP. Juicebox offers a upgraded intercooler don't they?
No company unfortunately manufactures intercoolers for 535i at this time due to the way the front of the vehicle and other components are setup, theres either a oil line or power steering line blocking the installation of a FMIC. Unless you get one custom made you are pretty much SOL at this moment, but who wants to spend close to 2k for an intercooler. The thing that really annoys me is the fact that the 335i stock intercooler is larger than the 535i stock intercooler, which really makes no sense considering how much larger of a vehicle the 535i is.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

The only person I know of that has had a intercooler recently fabricated is TLO03.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/106...1#entry1273145
Oh and ofcourse this dude but his setup was ridiculous.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/837..._1#entry981844
Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

My Ride: E60 550i

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
No company unfortunately manufactures intercoolers for 535i at this time due to the way the front of the vehicle and other components are setup, theres either a oil line or power steering line blocking the installation of a FMIC. Unless you get one custom made you are pretty much SOL at this moment, but who wants to spend close to 2k for an intercooler. The thing that really annoys me is the fact that the 335i stock intercooler is larger than the 535i stock intercooler, which really makes no sense considering how much larger of a vehicle the 535i is.
What a lot of people don't understand is that larger intercoolers do not equal more horsepower. In fact if you go too large it makes the system inefficent for the turbo set up on the car. Unless your getting bad heatsoak in traffic I would stick to the stock intercooler. Maybe look into a small puller fan to put on the back of the IC to pull air through and keep it cool in traffic.

Quick Reply: 2008 535 LCI Down Pipes