E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

20" Offset Recommendations = NO GOOD!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Im confused about how bad you say your fitment is considering I almost bought BBS RS-GT wheels which another member (Frank5er I believe) is running here. The specs are 20x8.5" +15 front and 20x10" +22 and it seems to sit pretty nice. I've also seen it on an M5 and the fitment is good, not flush but not bad either.

The lip on your wheels also looks oddly small as well for being +17 front and rear with wider than normal widths. Then again, the HRE model you are running could protrude more (opposite of concavity) than other wheel designs from HRE or DPE, Iforged and the like. Are you sure your wheels are actually the offsets you ordered? I would measure them to double check. From what I gather, a +0 offset with a 10.5" wheel should not fit without some fender modding (rolling and flaring). I've seen +0 wheels and the offset is riduculous.

Checkout this link:https://5series.net/forums/topic/826...e/page__st__15
For +17 you should be sitting way more flush than most of these setups. Even the 20x10.5" +25 mm rear wheels on the HP Forged wheels don't look that bad in the rear.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

I don't know if this was mentioned or not but... What model E60 is that?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Seedster
My best friend (SIGMACHIGUY) finally got around to ordering a set of 20" HRE 790s per recommendations from this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/937...or-20x10-hres/

He ended up getting 20x9" ET17 fronts and 20x10.5" ET17 rears (Falken FK452 tires are 245's in front and 275's in rear). Long story short, these offsets were wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too conservative and it was extremely disappointing seeing the wheels sit the way they did. I don't know how people can possibly think this is a "good look". Not only did they look not-so-hot, but the front's NEEDED spacers to clear the KW V2's that were installed at the same time.

All in all we ended up throwing 12mm spacers on the front and 15mm spacers on the rear and it FINALLY looks good. The car is lowered now and there was very minor rubbing in the rear after the spacers were put in which required a very minor fender roll which took 30 minutes at a local shop.

Moral of the story, run ET5 in front and at least ET2 in the rear if you want the car to sit pretty. There's actually plenty more room to push the wheels out but this will do for now. Below are some pics of the wheels and car after the spacers, coils, corner balancing, and alignment (kudos to Darrin at West End for an amazing job!).
Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

I guess my feedback may have helped a bit if I had seen your original post since I am running 19x8.5 et17 and 19x10.5 et25 and was not happy with it. I added 10mm spacers all around to achieve et7 front and et15 rear and though it was better, wasn't HELLA flushed as some would say. I wish I had taken photo's of that stance before I took off the spacers.

I also test fitted a set of 20's with specs 20x9 et18 20x11 et20 (guestimate offsets since they are not revealved on that particular brand of wheels). I was still planning on throwing on 10mm spacers all around for the "perfect" fit as well as to clear the shocks.

SIGMACHIGUY, is there any chance to see your car in person? Are you near the USC/UCLA area? Also are you running the standard 245-35-20 and 275-30-20 tire sizes?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TakmaN
Are you sure your wheels are actually the offsets you ordered? I would measure them to double check. From what I gather, a +0 offset with a 10.5" wheel should not fit without some fender modding (rolling and flaring). I've seen +0 wheels and the offset is riduculous.
What's funny is that I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw the wheels on the car non-lowered and w/o spacers. We haven't had the chance to measure the wheels but guaranteed that's gonna happen here in the next few days. Running a 0 offset wheel (which is pretty much where we're at right now) seems, and quite fankly *IS*, ridiculous. Most details to come.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

What's funny is that I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw the wheels on the car non-lowered and w/o spacers. We haven't had the chance to measure the wheels but guaranteed that's gonna happen here in the next few days. Running a 0 offset wheel (which is pretty much where we're at right now) seems, and quite fankly *IS*, ridiculous. Most details to come.
Nice, can't wait for an update on this! I haven't gone through many wheel son the E60 so I'm pretty unfamiliar with how far you can push it. Most on this forum have historically been rather conservative so this could be a culprit as to the conservative recommended offsets floating around.

I know the E46 M3 rear wheels can be transferred straight over and those offsets are usually in the +20-25 range. But what Redeyejedi said makes sense and supports what you say on your current HRE setup. I wish I saw this post before I ordered my wheels or else no doubt I would have gone 8.5" +8 front and 10" +8 rear with a little wiggle room.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Members

I know the E46 M3 rear wheels can be transferred straight over and those offsets are usually in the +20-25 range. But what Redeyejedi said makes sense and supports what you say on your current HRE setup. I wish I saw this post before I ordered my wheels or else no doubt I would have gone 8.5" +8 front and 10" +8 rear with a little wiggle room.
I rock an e46 m3 and told Sigmachiguy that I would be more than happy to take the wheels off his hands if he wanted to go ahead and order another set with the perfect fitment now that we know what we should've ordered (assuming that the wheels were in fact made to spec). I've seen people run ET12's on front and rear of the e46 m3 so these should technically work with a little fender rolling TLC.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

I rock an e46 m3 and told Sigmachiguy that I would be more than happy to take the wheels off his hands if he wanted to go ahead and order another set with the perfect fitment now that we know what we should've ordered (assuming that the wheels were in fact made to spec). I've seen people run ET12's on front and rear of the e46 m3 so these should technically work with a little fender rolling TLC.
Holy crap, +12 front and rear! Man I must have been out of those forums for a long time. Most wheels I see are in the +22ish offset range which looks flush enough for me. Will +12 give you poke out front and back?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Holy crap, +12 front and rear! Man I must have been out of those forums for a long time. Most wheels I see are in the +22ish offset range which looks flush enough for me. Will +12 give you poke out front and back?

I have definitely not seen +12 in the front. Rears possibly, but it also depends on how wide of wheels they are putting in the back.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
I have definitely not seen +12 in the front. Rears possibly, but it also depends on how wide of wheels they are putting in the back.
Yea most people run +30ish in the fronts. I don't see how a +12 will fit under there... or maybe it doesn't all fit under which is my guess.

On a side note, I'm going to tackle the trim wrapping this weekend hoorah! Knowing me I'm going to be breaking tabs left and right...

Quick Reply: 20" Offset Recommendations = NO GOOD!