E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

20" Offset Recommendations = NO GOOD!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend (SIGMACHIGUY) finally got around to ordering a set of 20" HRE 790s per recommendations from this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/937...or-20x10-hres/

He ended up getting 20x9" ET17 fronts and 20x10.5" ET17 rears (Falken FK452 tires are 245's in front and 275's in rear). Long story short, these offsets were wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too conservative and it was extremely disappointing seeing the wheels sit the way they did. I don't know how people can possibly think this is a "good look". Not only did they look not-so-hot, but the front's NEEDED spacers to clear the KW V2's that were installed at the same time.

All in all we ended up throwing 12mm spacers on the front and 15mm spacers on the rear and it FINALLY looks good. The car is lowered now and there was very minor rubbing in the rear after the spacers were put in which required a very minor fender roll which took 30 minutes at a local shop.

Moral of the story, run ET5 in front and at least ET2 in the rear if you want the car to sit pretty. There's actually plenty more room to push the wheels out but this will do for now. Below are some pics of the wheels and car after the spacers, coils, corner balancing, and alignment (kudos to Darrin at West End for an amazing job!).
Attached Thumbnails 20" Offset Recommendations = NO GOOD!-img00249.jpg   20" Offset Recommendations = NO GOOD!-img00250.jpg   20" Offset Recommendations = NO GOOD!-img00262.jpg  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Contributors

First of all, its a bit hard to determine the "exact" look everybody is going for especially considering lower offsets is a new area for most e60's

I think you figured out where exactly you wanted to be for a flush look, but that will differ from person to person

Yes you need spacers to clear the front struts, i have stock wheels on right now and needed spacers to clear the struts

what would help is seeing some pictures of the before shots of the spacers being added so we can all see how it did infact sit

also consider that 15mm is roughly .5 inches, so if you had ordered 20x9.5 et 17 (with a 3mm to clear the front struts) and 20x11 et17 it would sit pretty much where you are now

I think the end result looks good, but also keep in mind that this is relatively new territory for most of us on here, so all we can go by is setups we have a) seen in person and b) done in the past
Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Contributors

also just be glad you didnt listen to HRE who made the wheels, they gave you some pretty high offsets for the flush look you are going for, which is pretty much all the evidence you need to figure out they dont even know how to get the look
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Members

I'll definitely post up pics of the "before" so that people know how 20x9 and 20x10.5's sit. And TOTALLY agree with you...thank GOD we didn't listen to HRE...idiots.

Question though, if the wheels were 0.5" wider with the same offset...all 0.5" would go towards pushing the wheel out? Wouldn't it only be half (0.25")?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

It would push .25'' out inside and outside.

Damn I'm worried now, I ordered 20x8.5 +16 and 20x10 +19 and wanted to run it decently flush and this was more aggressive than I've seen 99% of the people run here. Bah well at least you can always add spacers. If you went too aggressive, you can't take away offset.

I also see you're in Socal too by going to West End .
Old 04-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TakmaN

Damn I'm worried now, I ordered 20x8.5 +16 and 20x10 +19 and wanted to run it decently flush and this was more aggressive than I've seen 99% of the people run here. Bah well at least you can always add spacers. If you went too aggressive, you can't take away offset.

youll probably have to run spacers to get them flush, e60s have somewhat wide finders and deep fender wells so when most cars would have crazy stance with these offsets and widths, we just have marginal

and screw that whole offset is achieved without spacers thought process, nobody gets it right the first time. It takes trial and error and even some of the best calculations arent going to prove to work out perfectly.

As you said you can always add spacers if you want to adjust the stance, but if you are too wide then you run the risk of looking like a retard and you can't do anything to change that really
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

just drop it.. and make camberr.. should make the car look more hellaa flushh..
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Members

0.25" + 0.25"...that's what I thought. Dude, you're gonna for SURE have to add spacers (im guessing 15mm front / 20mm rear - don't forget the extended bolts!). I'm with you in that what you order is more aggressive than what most people on here run...which again, boggles my mind.

Oh, and West End FTMFW!!! I wouldn't recommend anywhere else...period.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
and screw that whole offset is achieved without spacers thought process, nobody gets it right the first time. It takes trial and error and even some of the best calculations arent going to prove to work out perfectly.
I don't agree with you here PTL, the whole point of spending 6-7 grand on "custom" wheels is so that you don't have to use spacers. The 15-20mm that we were off would equate to 15-20mm more dish and a better looking wheel overall. Nonetheless, that's the whole point that I came on the board and posted this thread. So people can learn what NEEDS to be ran on this car. Running ET17/ET17 on 20x9 and 20x10.5 w/no spacers just looks retardando. Granted I haven't posted up the "before" pics yet, but trust me when I do...you'll understand what I mean.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Members

Hi all,

As my best friend "Seedster" had already posted, these ET17 offsets all around for the new HREs were HORRIBLY off...we were super disappointed, and I was honestly a little pissed off as well. I mean, for the thousands and thousands of dollars spent on this wheel and suspension setup, the natural results were WAY OFF. Thank God for H&R Spacers who saved the day even though this is NOT the way u want to go because A) ur putting a spacer in between ur wheel ur spending more money and most importantly C) ur LOSING lip!!! We could've have gained another .5-.75" lip I bet if the offsets on these wheels were done right. I was just thinking about this last night, but if we were to do it all over again I'd honestly consider AT LEAST what Seedster had posted...I was thinking last night of even doing ET 2 in the front and ET 0 in the rear if I had to do it all over again! HRE had originally recommended ET 18 front and ET 21 rear...these would have been HORRENDOUS! And PTL, I get that you say everyone has different definitions of what is flush, but that would have no where near been flush...and if someone had spent as much as I did on this setup and been happy with those offsets, I'd honestly feel sorry for them.

We'll definitely post pics up after I wash and clean the car after all this but TRUST ME, I had to take the 15mm spacers off the rears in order to drive to the shop to roll my fenders and it looked NASTY HORRIBLE without that 15mm spacer and just an ET 17 offset in the rear. I mean the wheel sat a good almost inch from the fender it looked like...it HURT my eyes to see the way the wheel sat with ET 17 and no spacers. If anyone else is looking to do this same/similar set up, I'd DEFINITELY go AT LEAST ET 5 front and ET 2 rear as Seedster had suggested...do NOT go less aggressive than this...it WILL work! This would be the most conservative I'd personally go unless our definitions of "flush" are that off which I doubt. Pics to come...

TakmaN - u r going to NEED spacers (go with H&R) FOR SURE, no question about it...I hate to be the one to break it to you but like me, u went with WAY OVERLY conservative offsets even though ur research may have proved u didn't. Unless u want ur wheels to sit in ur wheel well, ur gonna have to go with spacers. I got mine my Supreme Power Parts, ask for Jeff or Eric...they have them all in stock and are very helpful as well. Let us know how it works out!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SIGMACHIGUY
Hi all,

As my best friend "Seedster" had already posted, these ET17 offsets all around for the new HREs were HORRIBLY off...we were super disappointed, and I was honestly a little pissed off as well. I mean, for the thousands and thousands of dollars spent on this wheel and suspension setup, the natural results were WAY OFF. Thank God for H&R Spacers who saved the day even though this is NOT the way u want to go because A) ur putting a spacer in between ur wheel ur spending more money and most importantly C) ur LOSING lip!!! We could've have gained another .5-.75" lip I bet if the offsets on these wheels were done right. I was just thinking about this last night, but if we were to do it all over again I'd honestly consider AT LEAST what Seedster had posted...I was thinking last night of even doing ET 2 in the front and ET 0 in the rear if I had to do it all over again! HRE had originally recommended ET 18 front and ET 21 rear...these would have been HORRENDOUS! And PTL, I get that you say everyone has different definitions of what is flush, but that would have no where near been flush...and if someone had spent as much as I did on this setup and been happy with those offsets, I'd honestly feel sorry for them.

We'll definitely post pics up after I wash and clean the car after all this but TRUST ME, I had to take the 15mm spacers off the rears in order to drive to the shop to roll my fenders and it looked NASTY HORRIBLE without that 15mm spacer and just an ET 17 offset in the rear. I mean the wheel sat a good almost inch from the fender it looked like...it HURT my eyes to see the way the wheel sat with ET 17 and no spacers. If anyone else is looking to do this same/similar set up, I'd DEFINITELY go AT LEAST ET 5 front and ET 2 rear as Seedster had suggested...do NOT go less aggressive than this...it WILL work! This would be the most conservative I'd personally go unless our definitions of "flush" are that off which I doubt. Pics to come...

TakmaN - u r going to NEED spacers (go with H&R) FOR SURE, no question about it...I hate to be the one to break it to you but like me, u went with WAY OVERLY conservative offsets even though ur research may have proved u didn't. Unless u want ur wheels to sit in ur wheel well, ur gonna have to go with spacers. I got mine my Supreme Power Parts, ask for Jeff or Eric...they have them all in stock and are very helpful as well. Let us know how it works out!

sorry you had a "bad" initial outcome but im glad that you found a solution to the issue

if you had gone 20x9.5 et16 and 20x11 et14 you would be sitting exactly where you want to be now and without any spacers in the rear and possibly just a 3mm to clear the front struts

get some better pictures of your ride for the forums to see how great our cars can look with the offsets you are doing now

Quick Reply: 20" Offset Recommendations = NO GOOD!