E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

20" OEM Style 101 wheels are rubbing. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up the car last night and I could not believe the improvment in steering response and overall handling. The mechanic told me the car was well out of alignment and the bushing on the arms were shot. There was alot of play as a result which possibly was causing the extra wheel travel resulting in the rubbing.

I lined the fender with blue painters tape and set up to find a rub. To my great pleasure, the rub is gone. I ran the car up a driveway transtion 6 or 7 times with no sound and no contact made. I am going to try a little harder this afternoon to get it to rub, but for now, problem solved.

Any of you who have front end rub should look at your control arm bushings.

Now the question is, should I go to a 285/30 in the rear to fix the "stretched tire" look or is that opening a can of worms.

Tom
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

u know i really wish tire places let you try on tires and if they dont fit swap them for another set. i've been through 4 sets just trying to find the perfect sizing and end up removing them with less than 1000 miles on em cause i dont like the way they fit to buy a different size. its so annoying.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Soory caught this post late on. I'm also running style 101's. I run 255 30 20 fronts and 285 25 20 rear with no rubbing issues
Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dav530d
Soory caught this post late on. I'm also running style 101's. I run 255 30 20 fronts and 285 25 20 rear with no rubbing issues
How is your ride qality with the 30/25 setup?

Tom
Old 03-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6 speed ,101 oem wheels, M tec, aluminum cube, LCI tailights, modified headlights, DINAN software, DINAN muffler, DINAN throttle body, DINAN intake, trunk finisher.

Originally Posted by atillathetom
Car has new controll arms and was severely out of alignment. I pick it up today and I hope everything is resolved.

Ill keep you posted.
I checked today they are 9 inch 24et and 10 inch 24 et.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by George Tsikis
I checked today they are 9 inch 24et and 10 inch 24 et.

You guys arent going to believe this. The shop called and very apologetically explained that they had used the wrong arms and needed the car back. They had installed arms from a 7er.

I took the car back and they put the correct arms in and the rub is back. Just my damn luck.

What should I do? 245/30, 285/25 on the current 20s, or go back to my old 19s and call this all a learning experience?

Tom
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

Not too sure why they are catching on you car. I have sport suspension. See pic below. I have my winter 125's setup on at the momont so can't take any more pics.

As for ride not much difference compared to 125's but the differnce in grip is immense. My 125's with contis are extremely twitchy. My 101's with falkens front hankook

rears is very well balanced. very difficult to over steer

Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dav530d
Not too sure why they are catching on you car. I have sport suspension. See pic below. I have my winter 125's setup on at the momont so can't take any more pics.

As for ride not much difference compared to 125's but the differnce in grip is immense. My 125's with contis are extremely twitchy. My 101's with falkens front hankook

rears is very well balanced. very difficult to over steer

David,

I can only assume they are catching because they are a series taller than stock. Some people seem to be able to get away with it, but I cannot. Not sure why but I have tried everything (fender roll, alligment, control arms. I am trying to decide between going down a series (to your sizes) or going back to my 125s. I am just scared of ride quality on the 25 series rears. Thanks for the insight.

Tom
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

I'm lowered on Eibach pro kit springs had rubbing issues up front, 245/35/20 tire size. I had the fenders rolled, helped a little bit but there was still rubbing when I go through big dips and bumps. Yesterday they trimmed a portion of the inner plastic cover where the fender meets the bumper and the rubbing went away. Although I hit a pretty nasty bump today and it rubbed just a little. I still need to buy new shocks and I think that will completely eliminate the rubbing.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6 speed ,101 oem wheels, M tec, aluminum cube, LCI tailights, modified headlights, DINAN software, DINAN muffler, DINAN throttle body, DINAN intake, trunk finisher.

Originally Posted by atillathetom
David,

I can only assume they are catching because they are a series taller than stock. Some people seem to be able to get away with it, but I cannot. Not sure why but I have tried everything (fender roll, alligment, control arms. I am trying to decide between going down a series (to your sizes) or going back to my 125s. I am just scared of ride quality on the 25 series rears. Thanks for the insight.

Tom
My opinion, you wont find a better quality and looking wheel than the 101 for that car. Keep the wheels for sure...Change your oem springs to oem replacements...your probably riding too low. I think thats the remedy. I was running axis penta wheels before with an offset 20 which brought my wheel even closer to the fender and even then there was no rubbing. My car has 33,000 miles so maybe my spings are in better shape. If you have a V8 model consider that you have a lot of wieght up front compared to a six. SPRINGS SPRINGS SPIRNGS TOM

Quick Reply: 20" OEM Style 101 wheels are rubbing. Need Help!