E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

19" wheel balancing issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Jet Black, Auburn Dakota, Sport Package, Logic 7, Red rear reflectors, K&N intake filter

Since putting the Monet's with Toyo's on the car the left front has always been out of balance. They rebalanced and then replaced wheel due to issue with chroming in places.
Wheel was still unbalanced, so I took it to 2 other places with regular balancing machines and still no luck.

I suspected that the tire had a high spot or was out-of round so called New Century and they agreed to switch out tire and send old one off to see what Toyo says. May have to pay for use.
Anyway, new tire is just as bad !!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a shop in, or close to, OC SoCA that has the high-end balancing equipment that puts the resistance on the actual tire and can sense high spots etc ?
Seem to remember reading of one in San Diego but lost link.

Any ideas/suggestions for any other cause ? Wheel put on car at approx 11,000miles/14mths old
Old 01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Have you tried swapping the wheel onto the other corner?

If the problem moves, swap the tyres on the two front wheels and see if it moves with the tyre or stays with the wheel.

Only a guess but I think you have eliminated the tyre as the main suspect and I would now be looking more closely at the wheel.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UKAussi' post='221677' date='Jan 9 2006, 01:34 PM
Since putting the Monet's with Toyo's on the car the left front has always been out of balance. They rebalanced and then replaced wheel due to issue with chroming in places.
Wheel was still unbalanced, so I took it to 2 other places with regular balancing machines and still no luck.

I suspected that the tire had a high spot or was out-of round so called New Century and they agreed to switch out tire and send old one off to see what Toyo says. May have to pay for use.
Anyway, new tire is just as bad !!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a shop in, or close to, OC SoCA that has the high-end balancing equipment that puts the resistance on the actual tire and can sense high spots etc ?
Seem to remember reading of one in San Diego but lost link.

Any ideas/suggestions for any other cause ? Wheel put on car at approx 11,000miles/14mths old
Hi, this is probably useless information but I'll type it anyways I was browsing the Monet Wheels website, and it listed the New Age Wheel as MB/Audi fitment. So, you may want to check if the wheels have a 72mm bore. If not, you'll need hub-rings if you don't already have them. I had the problem on a different brand of wheels. They went through multiple balancings, finally I realized I had 74mm center bore wheels and had to have the wheel shop order some hub-rings for me and waa-laa no more problems.....Once again, probably useless information.....
Old 01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Jet Black, Auburn Dakota, Sport Package, Logic 7, Red rear reflectors, K&N intake filter

Originally Posted by Coastal_CV' post='221725' date='Jan 9 2006, 02:55 PM
Hi, this is probably useless information but I'll type it anyways I was browsing the Monet Wheels website, and it listed the New Age Wheel as MB/Audi fitment. So, you may want to check if the wheels have a 72mm bore. If not, you'll need hub-rings if you don't already have them. I had the problem on a different brand of wheels. They went through multiple balancings, finally I realized I had 74mm center bore wheels and had to have the wheel shop order some hub-rings for me and waa-laa no more problems.....Once again, probably useless information.....
Excellent information !!
I actually came into work today with the front 2 OEM wheel/tires and New Century is going to swap them out so I can eliminate any issue with the car (strut, bearing etc) We were then going to put aftermarket wheels back on with a new wheel on LF.

Just called him and mentioned your comment and he said techs should be aware of when they are needed but will make sure he has some rings for when I go down there in an hour or so

OK, and here is great customer service for you.

I called Monet to ask about the New Age wheel and my car and they confirmed that the wheel is 74mm and my car is 72mm. They are therefore going to drop of a set of rings now just to make sure New Century has some for when I get there !!

It probably helps that Monet is only a mile from NewCentury but still great service.

Will update this in a couple of hours hopefully with good news
Old 01-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UKAussi' post='222175
Excellent information !!
I actually came into work today with the front 2 OEM wheel/tires and New Century is going to swap them out so I can eliminate any issue with the car (strut, bearing etc) We were then going to put aftermarket wheels back on with a new wheel on LF.

Just called him and mentioned your comment and he said techs should be aware of when they are needed but will make sure he has some rings for when I go down there in an hour or so

I called Monet to ask about the New Age wheel and my car and they confirmed that the wheel is 74mm and my car is 72mm. They are therefore going to drop of a set of rings now just to make sure New Century has some for when I get there !!

It probably helps that Monet is only a mile from NewCentury but still great service.

[/quote]

Cool to hear that!!! I trusted DiscountTire to order my wheels and install them, since they're supposed to be the experts, but I had to convince them that I needed hub-rings.....Another thing you may want to ask for is metal hub-rings, sometimes shops will try to pass on the plastic ones. Good luck with the wheels!!!.....
Old 01-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UKAussi' post='222175
Excellent information !!

[/quote]

I had nothing but great service from Monet Wheels. I got my New Age last week from a local shop in Riverside and I had slight vibrations at around 50-60mph. I knew the shop I bought the wheels from didn't have the Hunter balancer so I asked for recommendations from Monet. They recommended new Century, dropped off some center caps and hub rings and New Century rebalanced the wheels for me. Vibrations are now gone and the car looks awesome! I'll get pictures soon!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Members

Well, front wheels did NOT have hub rings :thumbsdown:

Hub rings did NOT resolve problem :thumbsdown:

Didn't have time to temporarily refit OEM wheels to see if it a vehicle issue so that is next step.

Anyone actually had an issue that was their vehicle ?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UKAussi' post='222271' date='Jan 10 2006, 01:47 PM

Didn't have time to temporarily refit OEM wheels to see if it a vehicle issue so that is next step.

Man, sorry to hear that This is a stupid question, but you didn't mention it, but did they check if the rears had hub-rings???.....Was there any difference at all with the hub-rings installed???.....
Old 01-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Coastal_CV' post='222287

Man, sorry to hear that This is a stupid question, but you didn't mention it, but did they check if the rears had hub-rings???.....Was there any difference at all with the hub-rings installed???.....
[/quote]

Yes that already had rear hub rings, although I had to ask them to go back and check.

No difference at all
Old 01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Same problem with mine?although I was running Monet?s with Michelin rubber. My problem was solved by installing metal rings (vs plastic) supplied by Monet and then taking my car to Glenn?s Alignment in Costa Mesa for ON THE CAR balance, Glenn?s can spin the wheels & tires on the car, strobe them and balance accordingly?.they are one of the best in the business IMHO

Quick Reply: 19" wheel balancing issue