E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

166M wheels with biggest tires possible

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

After months of research I have finally finished my wheel project (at least for now) and verified the biggest tires you can fit on an e60 with the 166 Rims. I am fairly happy with the results.

I think the back is perfect (166M 9.5? w/ 28mm offset fitted with a 285/35/19 ? same as the M5). This increased the overall diameter by about 1.27? over my stock 124 style 18?s. It fills up the wheel well with a minimal gap and there are no rubbing issues (verified with 400 lbs. of rock salt in the trunk and a bounce test and drive). It also moves the tire outward from stock, which was also needed.

The front is pretty good. With the large tire in the back, I wanted to keep the same side wall ratio between the front and back and fill up the gap. I fitted the 166M 8.5? - 12mm offset with a 245/40/19. This increased the overall diameter by about 1.0? over the stock setup. There is only a slight rub on the plastic well in the front at full crank, which can be modified if it bothers me- so far I have only noticed it a couple of times. It appears there are no clearance issues with the fender ? on full crank I have not been able to fully compress the suspension in order to hit the fender. However, I may be getting a very, very slight contact when hitting a huge dip on the freeway at about 80 mph. I have only heard it a couple of times and only when I had the radio off. Another 5k miles on the tires and I should not be able to get this to happen.

The front tire has been kicked out a fair amount, again it needed to be over the stock setup. I am just not sure if it is kicked out TOO FAR ? LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. If you look down over the fender, it is just at the fender line. I guess I would prefer if it were inset about 3-4mm to give more of a staggered look. The problem is that the OEM rim is really designed for the width of the M front fender. If I had the choice, this rim with a 16mm offset or even an 8? version (better look for a 245 tire) with the same 12mm offset would be prefect - IMO.

I may very well get used to the look of the front and hopefully any rub issues will not be a problem. The tires are balanced and the gap is minimal. If I want more of a staggered look or if the rub continues to be a problem I have thought of the following solutions:

- 245/35/19 in the front ? will increase the gap, which is not desirable, but may give a more staggered look. The sidewall ratio between the front and the rear will be more pronounced. I don?t want to drop the back tire size as I really like the larger tire in the rear.
- Mill off 3-4mm from the rim at the mounting surface to move it back in a bit ? not sure if there is enough material to do this (Not sure how much material you need to have around the luck nuts ? does anyone know this?)
-
I have attached pictures, give me your recommendations and feedback.

I have also installed the Mkit side skirts. At this time I have chickened out on the front and rear. I actually like the stock rear better and I am going to modify for dual exhausts. The front is a toss-up. I look forward to seeing some in person at the next SB Bimmerfest.

166M wheels with biggest tires possible-166_side_a.jpg

166M wheels with biggest tires possible-166_side_b.jpg

166M wheels with biggest tires possible-166_frt_a.jpg

166M wheels with biggest tires possible-166_frt_b.jpg

166M wheels with biggest tires possible-166_frt_c.jpg

166M wheels with biggest tires possible-166_rear_a.jpg

166M wheels with biggest tires possible-166_rear_b.jpg
Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Looks good but the front does seem to protrude more then the back
Old 12-06-2005, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Very nice. thanks for the informative post, now we know what size tires can really be used!

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

very nice indeed....
some other opinion, the car looks ggod, just a bit higher becasue of the difference in diameter... also remember your speedometer is affected with this change...
I opted to stick as much with the factory recommendations for my car since its not an M5... so for the fronts I have 245-35-19 in a 8.5x19 rim and the rears I have 285-30-19 in a 9.5x19 rims.. the front and rear are the same diameter now plus i have the staggered look...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='208812' date='Dec 8 2005, 03:06 PM
very nice indeed....
some other opinion, the car looks ggod, just a bit higher becasue of the difference in diameter... also remember your speedometer is affected with this change...
I opted to stick as much with the factory recommendations for my car since its not an M5... so for the fronts I have 245-35-19 in a 8.5x19 rim and the rears I have 285-30-19 in a 9.5x19 rims.. the front and rear are the same diameter now plus i have the staggered look...
I'm new to the forum but I have certainly seen some great pics. I hope my ride grows up to look like yours some day Don Jaun... . I plan to place my order for a 530i in mid January and I am seriously considering going with the wheel sizes you chose. I figure copying is the best form of flatery.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

D eazy,
thanks! I like classic looking but yet a bit of sporty look too.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='208812' date='Dec 8 2005, 12:06 PM
very nice indeed....
Yeah, your setup is one of the nicer ones I have seen. Everything matches well and the rims are great!

I had considered those, however I am just partial to OEM rims and liked the 166M once I saw them.

The newer BMW rims do not offer the staggered look as some of the E39 rims and aftermarket rims (the rim looks the same front to back where as I would think you have a different lip size front to back). I also have become accustomed to the look of the rear wheel filling up the well and also did not want to have to use spacers if I could help it.

The rear tire (285/35), although not on the approved list, does work on the back. Granted my speed is off and I am sitting about .5" higher.

The problem I am having, which is what I am trying to get feedback on, is that the offset of the front rim sets the wheel a little far outboard for my liking. Even if I go with an approved size tire, this will still be the case. Most people have told me that it looks good. However, it is still bugging me a bit.

I do get a slight kiss of the fender when hitting a huge road swell at higher speeds. It is not doing any damage, but does annoy me.

I can solve that problem by dropping down to a 245/35 (instead of the 245/40), but that will not solve my offset problem. I am still trying to decide if I can shave off a little bit to move it inward.

Maybe I am just being too critical as no-one else with 166M rims has complained about the front offset.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

You did a great job of thinking it out throughly. I also think the the fronts are out a bit far. I have tried to talk myself into liking things that I have done and questioned. I'll bet you won't be able to talk youself into leaving the fronts alone.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

You did a great job of thinking it out throughly. I also think the the fronts are out a bit far. I have tried to talk myself into liking things that I have done and questioned. I'll bet you won't be able to talk youself into leaving the fronts alone.
[/quote]

Thats what I am afraid of.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jsal' post='211433
Thats what I am afraid of.
[/quote]

I'll take them off your hands! You know what I'll want for them.

Quick Reply: 166M wheels with biggest tires possible