E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

[New Rims] Avant Garde Style M310: 19s - Matte Black

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

Ktlocklear-

OMG! Why am I not getting these responses????? I thought I would get an email when someone posts on a thread I'm subscribed to? ANY WAY.... thank you for the insight. Actually, I wrapped the plastic rings with aluminum foil in the front thinking it would make it more snug, but that did not help at all. How is it that you got them to take them back? I got my wheels in December and gave up. Actually, one of the wheels had some of the black coating chipped off that I did not notice only until AFTER I got the tires mounted. That really ticked me off.

On another note, yes I did speak to the owner of ModBargains (Mike) and he said that since I was running 245 40's instead of 245 35's, the extra rotational mass along with any deficiencies in my suspension exaggerates the shake. I think running a 35 profile will take care of the rubbing, but I doubt it will take care of the shake. I spoke to Avant Garde and they said that the rings are supposed to take care of the problem and that they will not take the wheels back.

Acute-
What leg do I have to stand on?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by bgreaves
Ktlocklear-

Actually, I wrapped the plastic rings with aluminum foil in the front thinking it would make it more snug, but that did not help at all. How is it that you got them to take them back?
Wrap the hub lips, not the hub centric rings. Use duct tape or electrical tape.....not aluminum foil. Either way this is only a temp. fix...and is not a solution to the problem.

I haven't received new ones yet.....I'm only hearing 3rd party from the vendor I purchased the wheels from that I will be getting replacements that have a 72.56 center bore. I can only trust what he is telling me, which I do.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

I spoke to Avant Garde and they said that the rings are supposed to take care of the problem and that they will not take the wheels back.
The metal rings that come with the wheels are not doing what they are "suppose" to be doing. This is why a layer of tape cna be wrapped on the hub lip and the metal hub ring still easily slides over it.

Your vendor should be willing to help you out. Stress the point that Avant Garde is false advertising on their website.
This is taken directly from their webiste.....

"the Avant Garde M310, M335, M341 & M364 wheel is one of the most technically proper wheels that is offered for BMW. These wheels will not require the use of hub-centric rings"
Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Talk to where you purchased them from and have them take care of you -- it's what I did for ktlocklear.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Talk to where you purchased them from and have them take care of you -- it's what I did for ktlocklear.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Members

Okay, I will give Mike a call. Let's see what happens.

I will let you know what he says.

Thanks again...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Members

ktlocker---

Just got off the phone with the owner of modbargains. I will start off by saying that I for one like them all. I dont blame them for the bad wheels. He said that in a 3 month span he sold 52 8.5x19 wheels and has never received a complaint. Of course, I am the first to get a bad batch. I believe him because this is always the case when it comes to me. If something can possibly go wrong, regardless of it going right for everyone else, it will. He will speak to the rep at Avant Garde and see what they say. Doesnt sound promising. I am pretty sure I'm screwed.

I have the oem's on with old tires and the car rides smooth as silk with 50k miles on it. Anyone know how long the sport suspension should last? I dont think it starts to give at 50k????

Please keep me posted to let me know that you successfully got replacement wheels.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

It's all about customer service. This is why I didn't buy mine from Mod Bargains. Michael from Acute Performance is top notch and goes way over and beyond the call of duty. I know this doesn't help you.....but keep him in mind for future purchases.

I would still push the false advertising angle on the Avant Garde website.

Good luck man
Old 02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Ktlocklear-

OMG! Why am I not getting these responses????? I thought I would get an email when someone posts on a thread I'm subscribed to? ANY WAY....
I haven't been on the forum the past 2 weeks to answer your initial questions. See my questions below to your orginal post:

Q1. Anyway, can you tell me how many miles are on your car? Reason being is that I have steering shake and seat of the pants shake. I did EVERYTHING known to man kind to stop it but it won't so I'm close to getting rid of them. I have the factory sport suspension as well. I was told that there may be flaws in my suspension (50k miles) causing the bigger wheels to exagerate the flaw.

Q2. Why do guys with 20 inch wheels with 35 and 30 profile tires not have this problem? I used the metal hub centric rings and it still shook. Then I went to the plastic ones, and they only do slightly better. Any info you decide to share would be appreciated. thanks!

Q3. BTW... I hate how my car's rear is higher than the front. It's slight, but I HATE it. Seems like you have the same look.
A1. I have about 57k miles on my car now - stock sport suspension. I could be wrong, but do not think that the vibration would be caused due to the suspensions.

A2. My setup has metal hub rings on the rears only. I believe that the first batch of M310 wheels that they produced were not hub centric. When did you purchase your wheels? When I visited Avant Grade directly, they told me that the steering wheel shake would come from the front setup being unbalanced and the seat shaking results from the rear setup being unbalanced. I had to balance my wheels 3 times before reducing the vibration. Currently I don't have any steering wheel vibration, but do have some seat vibration that I became used to. I have not had other aftermarket wheel setup on my E60, so cannot compare if installing 'aftermarket setup' will automatically subsequently cause vibration. I do not know why 20' setup gets away with vibration. Maybe someone else could chime in on this matter.

A3. I am happy with how they sit on the fronts, but rears do have a much larger gap. Thus, I am considering coilovers or lowering springs in the near future.

* Props for Michael(Acuteperformance) on customer service as Keith(ktlocklear) mentioned. My my tire pressures are set at 36psi all around.

** Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions - I will repond faster. I did not think that this thread was going to come back after 2 months of inactivity.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by Georgieb
leese8080,
Awesome wheels! I just ordered the same for my 5, but in a 20" matte black. Quick question for you. Did the BMW Center caps come with the wheels and if so do you know what the size/specs are for these? I believe they are 66-67mm base and the decal will be a 65mm sticker. I wonder if the same size applies to the 20" wheel?

(Maybe Michael @ Acute can chime in). Thanks for the help guys!
Mine came with BMW Center caps when I purchased through Michael. I am unsure about the size of my center caps. I would reach out to the place you ordered from for getting the BMW center caps. Good luck!

Quick Reply: [New Rims] Avant Garde Style M310: 19s - Matte Black