E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your "car starting" routine

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Oct 5 2005, 10:07 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Oct 5 2005, 10:00 PM']I'd have to go review my exact order of events but one item that's missing from the one's I've read so far is:

<- release parking brake>
- slide armrest forward with elbow
[snapback]180141[/snapback]
Rudy, you actually use the sliding armrest? I'd have to say that is the MOST annoying "feature" of the car (more than foglights, SMG-auto mode and even mudflaps ).

If mine is not locked in the rear-most position it just keeps moving back and forth.
[snapback]180187[/snapback]
[/quote]
The arm rest slides? Whoa! I'm going to check that out. Maybe I'll need to add a step. ~{;^)
Old 10-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

OK, here's my routine.

Open the door and get in.
Unclip Treo650 from my belt and slide it onto my in-car mount
Apply brake, insert the key, place the car into N (SMG) and turn the key.
If the door is closed the car will start.
If the door is still open (because I forgot something in the house, need to put out the trash, etc.) then I need to turn the key back to off, select R or D and then back to N and then the car will start (or shut the door).
Fasten seatbelt.
Put the car into R and back out of my garage.
Press the i_Drive knob to clear the Lawyer screen.
Put the car into N, turn off DTC and DSC, then press the Sport button.
Hit the shifter to the right twice to engage D1
Floor it and initiate Accelleration Assist leaving my driveway (joking )
On the few occassions that I forget to engage the Sport button I'll hit it between shifting from 1st to second.
(Interestingly enough, I find that I can realize by the speed of the shift that I'm NOT in Sport mode, wrap my brain around the concept, and press the Sport button before it shifts into 2nd - For anyone that hasn't tried it, press the Sport button while the car is shifting between 1st and second. You'll experience the difference in shift speed along with the increased throttle response. I find it fascinating. )
Old 10-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I see that you guys don't lock your doors? Not one of you need to unlock the door before getting into your vehicle.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok I posted this before I read any reponses... so this way your responses wont affect my thinking...

1.) Unlock car, 1 push (drivers only)
2.) Open door
3.) put my hand on the door edge and make sure I dont hit anything by it.
4.) Get in carefully
5.) Close door
6 or 7.) Foot on Brake
7 or 6.) Insert Key
Maybe Fasten Safety belt here...
8.) Check Neutral position of gear / stick
9.) One swift turn = Start Engine ( I dont turn it to position 2 and wait before hitting position 3 ) I do it all in one.
10.) Push "OFF" on the fan speed
10.5) Depending on the radio volume level I turn it down now to just above audiable. (* I dont like "loud" in the morning*)
Maybe fasten safety belt here. Since I have to wait for the iDrive to boot.
11.) Hit Accept on lawyer screen (I have never once read it since I've got the car )
12.) (If needded) Turn on head lights
13.) select radio source... up the volume to listening level
14.) Mode the lever to "D"
15.) Release Hand brake
16.) Off I Go!

Edit: Everyone seems to mention phone... BT phone.. I dont do anything! LOVE IT!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:36 PM
I see that you guys don't lock your doors? Not one of you need to unlock the door before getting into your vehicle.?
[snapback]180207[/snapback]

Usually parked inside the garage.. .so no need to unlock.. but I did include it in mine...
Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Here's mine!

1. open the door
2. adjust the seats to ensure comfort
3. step on the brake
4. turn on the ignition
5. put on my sunglasses
6. adjust the mirror
7.turn on the music
8.place my handphone and wallet near the idrive screen
9.release the hand break
10.move to D from P
11.DRIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 10-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 6 2005, 11:52 AM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:36 PM']I see that you guys don't lock your doors? Not one of you need to unlock the door before getting into your vehicle.?
[snapback]180207[/snapback]

Usually parked inside the garage.. .so no need to unlock.. but I did include it in mine...
[snapback]180219[/snapback]
[/quote]

Whenever I park my car in the garage I always lock my door because you never know, but that's just me.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:38 PM
Not to get off topic, but Jeffs...did you really rebadge to a 525 and if so, just curious as to why?
[snapback]180085[/snapback]
yeah i did just for fun....no reason needed....i got bored of 545i so i changed to 525....and got alot of stares from bmw drivers since i have 18 inch sport package rims....im getting bored...prolly gonna take it off next week
Old 10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 5 2005, 11:33 PM
[quote name='Scott' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:38 PM']Not to get off topic, but Jeffs...did you really rebadge to a 525 and if so, just curious as to why?
[snapback]180085[/snapback]
yeah i did just for fun....no reason needed....i got bored of 545i so i changed to 525....and got alot of stares from bmw drivers since i have 18 inch sport package rims....im getting bored...prolly gonna take it off next week
[snapback]180239[/snapback]
[/quote]
Leave it on, and go with "the program." Sounds like fun. Lots wouldn't get it.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Anyone else with a manual transmission swing the stick in the neutral zone just to be sure you're in 'Neutral'?
This has always been a habit of mine, even with my previous stick shift cars.

1) Get in the car;
2) Step down on the clutch pedal (this is the FIRST thing I always do before doing anything that has to do with starting the car);
3) Put the key in the ignition;
4) Yank on the steering wheel a bit to unlock the ignition and allow the key to be turned to position 2 (I always leave my car with the steering wheel locked);
5) Take approximately 2 seconds to read between the gauges so I know how many miles before the next service (I always look here for messages);
6) Turn the key all the way to start the motor;
7) Allow the key to come back to position 2 before I let go of the key with my right hand and immediately reach down for the shift knob;
8) Pull the shifter down, out of first gear and into neutral (I always leave my car parked in first);
9) With my right hand still on the shift knob, I push the damn thing to the left 2-3 times while it is in the neutral zone just to be sure I am indeed in neutral; and,
10) Finally, let go of the clutch pedal.

Step #9 above is very HABIT forming. After I take the shifter out of first gear, I don't just pop it down into neutral, but I also have to swing the stick a couple of times to reassure myself that I am in neutral before I lift my left foot off the clutch pedal. By swinging, I mean pushing it to the left then letting it come back to the center before repeating again. The darnest thing is, I do this swing everytime I come to a stop.

Quick Reply: Your "car starting" routine