E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 BMW 530i M sport
Thumbs up

Hi all I am new to this forums, I have a 2003 530i which has normal halogen light I brought some second hand xenon lights I fitted them in thinking they would just plug in and work but they dont
so I took it to some garages and one guy told me i had to reprogram the ecu and change the LCM (Light control module) unit on the car so I said ok I brought one gave it to the garage and 1 week later they said they couldn?t do it!
I was a bit pissed off but I never paid the garage nothing
then some people told me that only Bmw could do this is this true? Has anyone ever tried to put these in their car? Do you know any garage that can do this? me please!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Originally Posted by 530iM' post='624284' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:32 AM
Hi all I am new to this forums, I have a 2003 530i which has normal halogen light I brought some second hand xenon lights I fitted them in thinking they would just plug in and work but they dont
so I took it to some garages and one guy told me i had to reprogram the ecu and change the LCM (Light control module) unit on the car so I said ok I brought one gave it to the garage and 1 week later they said they couldn?t do it!
I was a bit pissed off but I never paid the garage nothing
then some people told me that only Bmw could do this is this true? Has anyone ever tried to put these in their car? Do you know any garage that can do this? me please!
Just search around and buy some new HID conversion kits around here. I'm sure you'll get the sellers here quickly with replies. You'll be guarantee with no problems like the ones you experience so far with probably a cheap kit. You can install it within minutes by the great DIY guide and most likely included instructions that are very detailed. Good Luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Boxador' post='624286' date='Jul 15 2008, 09:39 AM
Just search around and buy some new HID conversion kits around here. I'm sure you'll get the sellers here quickly with replies. You'll be guarantee with no problems like the ones you experience so far with probably a cheap kit. You can install it within minutes by the great DIY guide and most likely included instructions that are very detailed. Good Luck.
I know HIDs is the easiest way to change to xenon but they just dont look as good as the bmw bi-xenon headlights.

I want bi-xenon!

can no one help me has no one done this before??
Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Try these:

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/store/product.php?...t=15&page=1

Good luck... I have the standard Xenon from HIDS4U
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

bruce_miranda, a member here is the guy you need to speak to. From what I've read he's done some pretty impressive things with lights, amongst other things. Maybe he'll read your post, and come up with the answer. I think also he is based in London.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

You can rewire an oem xenon headlight to work on a car with oem halogen, that is the easiest way to do it
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530iM' post='624345' date='Jul 15 2008, 08:48 AM
I know HIDs is the easiest way to change to xenon but they just dont look as good as the bmw bi-xenon headlights.

I want bi-xenon!

can no one help me has no one done this before??

forgive the newbie question but what is in the bi xenon that is so special? I ask because I just bought a '06 e60 without the xenon thinking I can just get a HID kit?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by mattou' post='625358' date='Jul 16 2008, 12:56 PM
forgive the newbie question but what is in the bi xenon that is so special? I ask because I just bought a '06 e60 without the xenon thinking I can just get a HID kit?
Bi xenon is when both the dipped and high beam are powered by one xenon lamp with a shutter to control dipped/main beam. Fitting a hid kit will only make you car have xenon dipped beams. You also not supposed to fit HID lamps into light units not approved for them but that is down to the person fititng them(its due to the halogen reflector not being able to control the HID beam of light correctly).
Old 07-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='625356' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:51 AM
You can rewire an oem xenon headlight to work on a car with oem halogen, that is the easiest way to do it
And how do you do that?

+ i forgot to mention all the other lights on the headlight works e.g. the indicators ,the side light, fog lights and the dipped beam the only light that does not work is the xenon main beam light.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Your side lights (angel eyes) will work but you will have an error message. This is because you are pulling 10W of power. Halogen use 2 x 5w bulbs.
On your xenon headlight you need to splice the shutter wire (green) with the grey side light wire. That solves that problem. For the dipped beam to work you need to add an extra earth for the xenon ballast. I did this by adding an extra female pin to the plug. Very easy just buy from the dealers and slot it in the the plug and earth to chasis. Finally you need the add a capacitor in parallel to get rid of strobing and add load to fool to on board computer. You need a 35v 4700 uf capacitor. If you want you can tap the xenon shutter wire with the high beam to make your shutter work but I never bothered with that. Mines been on my car now for over a year with no problems. Complete oem look without the hassle. Plug and play, no warning lights.

Quick Reply: Xenon Lights