E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

xenon light pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

From using H4 on older european beam pattern, the right side of the beam kicks up at a 25 to 30 degree to light up road signs and parked vehicles. I notice the BMW Xenon has no rise to the right of both beams, is this the norm of BMW xenon lights? I notice on numerous other manufacture's Xenon lights, they have the rise on the right side of the beam identical to my H4 euro patterns.... In fact, the BMW xenon is very similar to the old Cibie Z beams with no/little rise to the right of the beam.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I have not noticed any problem with reading road signs which I guess is the essence of your post, even if as you say, there is no extra beam of light going out to the far side of the road.

In changing from a halogen e60 to a xenon e61, I clearly noticed much brighter lights with a cooler, whiter colortone and a tall beam that is somewhat diamond shaped. It has a sharp well defined edge visible especially when you drive through a broad forest road.

20 years ago, my old Ford had Hella Rally 2000 and KC Daylighters crowding up the front and draining my battery and they were bright indeed but not really a match for my no-fuss xenon lights. Two weeks ago, I chanced upon a Mercedes C-class rental which had halogen lights that I would describe as almost yellowish; I couldn't wait to get back to my xenon BMW.

Knowing the speed capability of the vehicle and my propensity to make use of that, also at night, I certainly would not want halogen lights any more and I have no complaints or worries about the xenon lights, not for reading road signs either.

PS found this little FAQ which has a few hickups, but I liked the description of free form reflector shapes as well as on why bulbs deteriorate. http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/l...ltutorial.html
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Good article find. Very informative.
I love the amount of light put out by the Xenons. I would love to have a little more rise to the right side of the road. It may be that the stray light put out by old fashion H4 in conjunction with the lens design helps with the cutoff to the right of the road. Wonder if that's why BMW came out with the auto hi beam option.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

not at all unlikely