E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon headllights

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Having owned my 530i for about three weeks, and living in a non-urban area where it actually get darks at night, I find that the low beam, while quite bright, aims low and therefore the sharp light cutoff does not light the road ahead for an adequate distance. My guess is that you're overdriving the headlights at about 30 MPH. Driving with high beams most of the time is not a satisfactory solution because of the need to constantly switch beams out of respect for oncoming traffic.

Consumer Reports just rated the 530i, and they gave the headlights a "poor" rating because of the low beam illumination issue -- so it's not just my personal opinion. I find it amazing the amount of technology that BMW has wasted to create an illumination system that in the final analysis is inferior. Having the light beam tied to steering system is a cool idea, but of almost no value given the short distance that is illuminated.

BMW describes the lights on their website as follows: "To prevent the danger of dazzling oncoming drivers, a special projector lens directs the beam down to the road." My question is -- has anyone had any success convincing a dealer to reset the low beams a little higher (or more likely, are they not able to make the adjustment?) Does anyone know if BMW considers this to be a significant issue that could be easily addressed, and if so, when will a fix be available?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Members

Newbie, I agree. I too find that the low beams provide inadequate distance lighting. As a matter of fact I was driving along a country road a few nights ago and almost hit a deer that was standing in the middle of the road. I actually find it funny that BMW promotes the adaptive headlights as a tool to see around corners and the side of the road but at the cost of distance. I hope BMW is aware of this issue because it has the potentialof being quite dangerous.

Another problem that I have encountered with the adaptive headlights is that while driving on a dark road and if there is a depression in the road the headlights will move downwards thereby limiting even more the distance that I can see ahead. I wonder if anyone else experiences this.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Members

I agree. They should be a little higer.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

I have had no problem with my low beems.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I also TOTALLY agree. It seems to light the road immediately in front of you well, but not "down road" well. You can clearly see that they're aimed very low by looking at the wave of light. Anyone asked the dealer to adjust it yet?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My cooper S has xenons, they too were poor for distance UNTIL I adjusted them

The xenons have a setscrew to set them as level or whatever, the autoleveling tries to maintain that, all I did was give a half turn on the vertical adjustment screw and Presto! problem solved.

They are easy to adjust on the mini because they are attatched to the bonnet (hood). You MUST MUST MUST not try and play around with them when they are on as there are some quite high tension voltages present. I'd imagine its a pretty simple thing to adjust on an E60 also and I'll be investigating this when I take delivery in a few weeks.

so, to sum up.....all is not lost, despite the self-levelling function, there is always a mechanical median position, all you have to do is adjust it up a little.

hope this helps a little

DD
Old 05-19-2004, 10:03 AM
sj3
Senior Members

It looks like me and one other here are in the minority. After 3+days, I am very satisfied with my low-beam headlights. I'm getting light on stop signs way way ahead of me. That would be my signal that they are aimed too low and I don't think mine are. Sorry to be on the other side on this because light at night is certainly all right! (My most humble apologies!).

Sam
Old 05-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Contributors

I didn't notice that they were pointed to low on mine. I did find myself steering left and right to see them turn. Very cool. Glad no cops were behind me, they might have thought I was drinking or lost my mind....
Old 05-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='May 19 2004, 01:24 PM
I didn't notice that they were pointed to low on mine. I did find myself steering left and right to see them turn. Very cool. Glad no cops were behind me, they might have thought I was drinking or lost my mind....
I just want you to know that you are not alone!
Both AS and Adaptive Xenons make me drive like an F1 parade lap...

And one other thing... Speed makes the light beams shorter...
Old 05-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
No light focusing/adjustment problem here. Love the Adaptive lighting system.

Quick Reply: Xenon headllights