E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon headlight ballast

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My headlight went pink then dark. Consensus on our Forum is the bulb. However, one member suggested it might be the ballast. I have looked thru Bentley's and I can not find the headlight ballast. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i with sport and premium package.

The ballast is attached right under the headlights housing. It's the larger rectangular module. The smaller one.is the ignitor.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Before you go chasing your own tail swap none working bulb with working bulb and see if it lights up from that point you know what to do. Ballast rarely go out I have replaced maybe 10 or so since the introduction of the xenon head lights in BMW cars!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

^ +1.

Swap the bulbs and see if the problem moves to the other side - if so, bulb is the problem. If not, ballast is the problem.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Members

Thank you very much for the advice.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by longncelle
The ballast is attached right under the headlights housing. It's the larger rectangular module. The smaller one.is the ignitor.
The smaller one is the adaptive module, ignitor is in the headlight, at the base surrounding the bulb's end.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Members

So are the ballast and the igniter the same thing?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
The smaller one is the adaptive module, ignitor is in the headlight, at the base surrounding the bulb's end.
Is the igniter and the ballast the same thing?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Prince Sky
So are the ballast and the igniter the same thing?
No. How in the world are they the same thing? The ballast is the rectangular box under your headlights, and the ignitor is mounted on the end of your bulbs. Which part of that is confusing? Now I am confused.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
No. How in the world are they the same thing? The ballast is the rectangular box under your headlights, and the ignitor is mounted on the end of your bulbs. Which part of that is confusing? Now I am confused.
Hell no, don't get confused listening to me!!! I have worked on cars for years, American cars. This is my first BMW and my first car with Xenons. At first I was intimidated; afraid to do even an oil change, but I am getting over it. My Bentley service manual does not show the ballast. Another person send an exploded pic of the headlight assembly, still no mention of the ballast location. In my research, I just found a pic of an Acura with Xenons and it think I got it. I have to remove the headlight module before I will be able to see the ballast.

Please forgive me if I confused you. When the "stealership" quoted me a price of $249.00 for just the bulb I knew this was going to be a DIY job and I want to get it right. I love this car and I don't want to screw it up.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Xenon headlight ballast