E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

wrapping interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

Tried wrapping for the first time today, the cig lighters can be pushed out about 1 mm from the back to give it a bit of room, lay the vinyl and then when ready to cut around the circle push the cig lighters out the 1mm, cut the circles then heat the vinyl and slide it under the circle, it will help in giving it a better look... I'll probably try doing it again.
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-dscn4042.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4038.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Members

I redid the cig lighter panel and it came out better the second time around. Bought some 3M primer and holy crap, if you want the vinyl to stick, the primer will almost make it impossible to peel off.

The DTC and trunk panel wasn't too bad, I cut around the plastic trim really carefully with a sharp blade, it ran across the trim a couple times so when it was all said and done, there's a couple marks on the trim, but I think it won't be as noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-dscn4044.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4047.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4049.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Members

Some more progress
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-dscn4052.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4053.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4060.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Members

Now working on the largest piece, the dash cover, covering it in silver to contrast with the black dash.

Already failed on my first attempt, instead of ruining another long sheet, just trying to figure out the angles with scraps, can anyone who's already done this chime in.
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-dscn4068.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4063.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4066.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4067.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by justoracle
Now working on the largest piece, the dash cover, covering it in silver to contrast with the black dash.

Already failed on my first attempt, instead of ruining another long sheet, just trying to figure out the angles with scraps, can anyone who's already done this chime in.
Heat, heat, heat... Take your time. I found that heating the area well and stretching at a 45 degree for the corners.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Members

Thanks for tip tony, after seeing this video it made sense how much heat I needed .

After wrapping the dash trim in silver I changed my mind on the color and just went with the black carbon fiber look. Maybe the graphite would've been better, the silver was too white and stood out too much.

After taking the rear passenger door panel, it was a real PITA and I would've had to cut out the retaining clips and re-install them and do this 4X, I decided to wrap the door trim in place. I prepped the trim with the 3M primer so it would stick well and carefully cut to fit.
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-dscn4188.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4191.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4195.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4196.jpg   wrapping interior-dscn4198.jpg  

Last edited by justoracle; 06-30-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by justoracle
Thanks for tip tony, after seeing this video it made sense how much heat I needed .

3M - Cookie's Tip - Wrapping Mirrors - YouTube

After wrapping the dash trim in silver I changed my mind on the color and just went with the black carbon fiber look. Maybe the graphite would've been better, the silver was too white and stood out too much.

After taking the rear passenger door panel, it was a real PITA and I would've had to cut out the retaining clips and re-install them and do this 4X, I decided to wrap the door trim in place. I prepped the trim with the 3M primer so it would stick well and carefully cut to fit.
I was gonna mention that when I read you were going to add the silver, but didn't want to discourage you since you might like it. I had received multiple samples and the colors just didn't seem to fit properly so I decided to also keep it simple.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

Looks like I need to get a heat gun. I tried wrapping the panel below the cd/dvd slots and the edges started lifting after a couple days.

I will have to try seeing if I can wrap the door handles in situ as I don't look forward to taking the door panels apart
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Redtwin
Looks like I need to get a heat gun. I tried wrapping the panel below the cd/dvd slots and the edges started lifting after a couple days.

I will have to try seeing if I can wrap the door handles in situ as I don't look forward to taking the door panels apart
I went around the trim with a real slim plastic tool probably the width of a credit card to "loosen" the bond between the trim and the leather. Cleaned it alcohol, with a foam brush I brushed on the 3M primer all around (don't use too much, if it doesn't dry and you put the vinyl while wet it won't stick). Cut a silhouette of the trim, I used tracing paper, it should be maybe 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch wider than the actual trim. Place the vinyl on the trim and work it into the crevices with a squeegee (or the same tool you used earlier) so it starts taking the shape of the trim. The edge that wraps around by the door's edge (by door handle) will require some heat and stretching. Once you feel you have a good tracing of the trim to vinyl, carefully cut with a cutting knife/blade, careful, a slip could cut the leather. For additional hold I used a dab of crazy glue on the two areas where I thought it might lift off. you'll know which areas these are on the front and back when you're done.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

Thanks for the tips. The use of primer is a bit off putting as the appeal of vinyl is that I can just peel it off if I get bored with it or I am selling the car. Hopefully things will stick without it.

Quick Reply: wrapping interior