E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

wrapping interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008
Default wrapping interior

Is there a known best approach to remove the black trim out these pieces so I can wrap them or do you guys just cut with a knife between the black plastic and the wrap vinyl? It looks like the silver tab on the cig lighter door needs to be drilled out.
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-photo-1.jpg   wrapping interior-photo-2.jpg   wrapping interior-photo-3.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Members

The more I look at this the more I realize the trim is not suppose to come off, it's almost melted to the plate and even if I got it off, putting it back would not sit as well as it is now.

It looks like I'll have to just cut precisely on the edge and hope the vinyl doesn't start peeling off. I removed the DTC and trunk buttons and for the cig lighter door I drilled out the back of punched material, it turned out to be plastic, but carefully drilling it worked out. When I put it back I'll probably just glue it on.
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-photo1a.jpg   wrapping interior-photo2a.jpg   wrapping interior-photo3a.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Members

Different story on the arm rest trim, I managed to get the menu button frame off the trim but I broke 2 1/2 of the plastic pins that fit in the holes. I drilled out the material out of the holes from the trim, drilled a couple holes where the pins use to be and I'll have to mcguiver something to make sure the menu trim doesn't move around when I put it back together.
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-photo1b.jpg   wrapping interior-photo2b.jpg   wrapping interior-photo3v.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW

You actually cover the whole thing with vinyl wrap. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to mould it into the crevices and then use a hobby (new blade) to cut out the areas of the chrome piece and switches that don't come off.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Members

When I wrapped my interior I followed a few tips from this video...

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Members

Blackwolffm

Did you wrap the rear console trim where the 2 cig lighters are? looks like this
Attached Thumbnails wrapping interior-d12f_1_sbl.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I wrapped my rear trim piece. It's a pita to get off but a paint can opener works well. It has a small 90 deg lip that can be used to grab along the side to pull straight back. Also a credit card to help release the clips. Warning the clips are not replaceable. I bent mine and discovered this so had to straighten it out. You can only get new clips with a new panel!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I wrapped my rear trim piece. It's a pita to get off but a paint can opener works well. It has a small 90 deg lip that can be used to grab along the side to pull straight back. Also a credit card to help release the clips. Warning the clips are not replaceable. I bent mine and discovered this so had to straighten it out. You can only get new clips with a new panel!
I was trying to see if I could remove the cig lighters so I could wrap the plate and then install them back, but I've not been able to do that. did you just cut it around the cig ligther circle? The circles are lit.

Yeah I now what you mean about the clips, I bent one of mine so I figured no big deal I'll just order a couple, turns out, they come with the plate only!! I straighten it too and hope it holds when it goes back in
Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Members

I have yet to wrap my rear console trim
Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by justoracle
I was trying to see if I could remove the cig lighters so I could wrap the plate and then install them back, but I've not been able to do that. did you just cut it around the cig ligther circle? The circles are lit.

Yeah I now what you mean about the clips, I bent one of mine so I figured no big deal I'll just order a couple, turns out, they come with the plate only!! I straighten it too and hope it holds when it goes back in
I'm gonna plead the fith on this one... I honestly can't remember if I removed the lighters after I removed the panel. The good thing is that its flat in this area so heated and then use something to ensure the film is tight. After you make the cut I doubt that it moves. Movement seems to be more in radii area like in the vent corners.

Last edited by tonyb635; 05-09-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: wrapping interior