E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wouldn't BMW's new DPC make a car worse in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I know this is a question about X6s, but 1st) this is the #1 BMW board for any question, and 2) the new DPC will be on more models in the future if not all all xdrive BMWs.

DPC is Dynamic Performance Control. Its a fancy electronic differential that sends more torque to the outside wheel in order to rotate a car into a corner. In fact, it should have been called BMW Corner Assist (Acura calls it Super Handling All Wheel Drive). So, I've driven X6s and this DPC differential really works. In fact, I think its the only thing that makes the X6 handle any better than an X5 (same weight, wheel base etc..). I would expect to see it on the M X5 soon, and maybe the 750 xdrive as well (which I'm told by my GM won't be offered in conjunction with rear wheel steering - perhaps due to DPC?) So since its here to stay and coming to a BMW model near you, is there any downside to it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but limited slip rearends are significantly more treacherous in snow and inclement conditions because in a bend or corner the outside wheel can more easily break traction under acceleration thereby causing massive oversteer/fishtailing. So isn't DPC doing the same thing, intentionally? It's adding more power to the outside rear wheel.

Now here's the weenie shrinker: In a BMW sedan or coupe (the only types of vehicles that BMW or M have given a limited slip rear axle as far as I know) the Dynamic Stability Control intervenes very quickly when the car gets out of shape and looses grip. NOT the case in the BMW SUVs I've driven. Even the literature mentions that the dynamic traction control (for SUVs) is designed to give the x-drive a chance to restore traction before the DTC intervenes - with its incredible 1 wheel braking tricks. So I presume that like an X5, the X6 will slide and snowplow for a few (possibly critical) seconds before the hand of god feature chimes in? Only, unlike the X5, the X6's rear diff will be working hard 24/7/365 to induce oversteer??

Seems to me that a simple solution would be a winter mode for any car with DPC that would open the rear diff. so that it would behave like a traditional rearend and just spin the inside tire?

Its a legitimate concern right? And likely to become more relevant when/if our beloved 5er xis get DPC.

So what say you? Is a DPC car likely to be more skiddish on ice/snow?

DRP
Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
ObD
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

You forgot the front wheels. While the rear end is over steering the front end is under steering.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

and the ploka in the driving seat is also steering going " whoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, wtf wtf wtf, what is it with all the front an back steering all the time"

You would think the system could be smart enough to be toggled into a true sport mode button which would sharpen the handling, quicken the gearbox timings ( where applicable ), and add the LSD to the diff..............the rest of the time the system could be benine and play no purpous other than being a function when called for........