E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would you buy a BMW again

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 523i, Steptronic, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Brown Wood Trim, Folding mirrors, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Sun Protection Glass, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Ipod, Electric Seats w memory, tires Dunlop sp1 225/55 R16.

Definitely I will buy another BMW
Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='1010885' date='Sep 18 2009, 05:34 PM
Well yes maybe I will buy another BMW in the future.........the thing with BMW ownership which is starting to kill my passion for them is the shoddy dealerships and frankly questionable electronics, engine and transmission, as the years roll on things seem to be getting worse not better.
The electronics is in the heart of BMW now and there will be more to come.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

i sure will
Old 09-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='1011747' date='Sep 19 2009, 09:23 AM
The electronics is in the heart of BMW now and there will be more to come.
Trouble is the electronics aren't up to the high standard of the mechanical engineering in a modern BMW. Definitely an area where BMW ought to make some additional investment.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

I sold my 520d this very morning. It was my first BMW and I fear it's been my last one.

I'm having mixed feelings. On the one hand I let go of a car that I adored to ride and that always put a smile on my face when I was driving it. On the other hand, I feel that I managed to finally get rid of a money eating liability. The main drawbacks:

- High depreciation. I sold my 28 month old car with 25.5k miles for a mere 42% of its value when new - note that warranty only lasts 24 months over here. It took me 2 months to find a buyer. Of course I already knew there's a crisis going on, but now I really experienced it.
- High maintenance costs. The dealer is great, but I've been overpaying him.
- Envy from other drivers. I had to have some very unnecessary parking damages (by others) repaired in the past two years. In the past year, I sometimes took our other car when I wasn't sure about the 'parking situation'.
- The fact that each time I started my car, I feared the possibility of an exclamation sign and a chime. Realistically, I never had something severe happen - but I feared it.

I'm going to find myself a small car that I can treat as a tool, a utility.
Bye everybody! Enjoy those wonderful machines. I'll probably continue to lurk for a while on this great forum.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by boukehj' post='1011854' date='Sep 19 2009, 02:20 PM
I sold my 520d this very morning. It was my first BMW and I fear it's been my last one.

I'm having mixed feelings. On the one hand I let go of a car that I adored to ride and that always put a smile on my face when I was driving it. On the other hand, I feel that I managed to finally get rid of a money eating liability. The main drawbacks:

- High depreciation. I sold my 28 month old car with 25.5k miles for a mere 42% of its value when new - note that warranty only lasts 24 months over here. It took me 2 months to find a buyer. Of course I already knew there's a crisis going on, but now I really experienced it.
- High maintenance costs. The dealer is great, but I've been overpaying him.
- Envy from other drivers. I had to have some very unnecessary parking damages (by others) repaired in the past two years. In the past year, I sometimes took our other car when I wasn't sure about the 'parking situation'.
- The fact that each time I started my car, I feared the possibility of an exclamation sign and a chime. Realistically, I never had something severe happen - but I feared it.

I'm going to find myself a small car that I can treat as a tool, a utility.
Bye everybody! Enjoy those wonderful machines. I'll probably continue to lurk for a while on this great forum.
This same points could be said about any other car out there.
According to statistics, 95% of all new cars depreciate about 50% or more in the first 3 years. BMWs are actually one of the brands that keeps its resale value relatively good. Right now is just shitty time to sell a car, its buyers market.
As far as high maint. costs - you have not owned a Porsche or a Ferrari, or an MB for that reason. BMW is nothing compared to some. Not saying its cheap, but rather inexpensive overall.
Parking damage could happen to any car. Your fear of car failure is also completely your perception. So - why would you not buy BMW again - I'm not sure, but I guess you made up your mind. Good luck with whatever you get, and stay in touch.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='1011984' date='Sep 19 2009, 06:30 PM
This same points could be said about any other car out there.
According to statistics, 95% of all new cars depreciate about 50% or more in the first 3 years. BMWs are actually one of the brands that keeps its resale value relatively good. Right now is just shitty time to sell a car, its buyers market.
As far as high maint. costs - you have not owned a Porsche or a Ferrari, or an MB for that reason. BMW is nothing compared to some. Not saying its cheap, but rather inexpensive overall.
Parking damage could happen to any car. Your fear of car failure is also completely your perception. So - why would you not buy BMW again - I'm not sure, but I guess you made up your mind. Good luck with whatever you get, and stay in touch.

+1
Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1011845' date='Sep 20 2009, 03:11 AM
Trouble is the electronics aren't up to the high standard of the mechanical engineering in a modern BMW. Definitely an area where BMW ought to make some additional investment.
This is what you get for being the white mice(giny pig) on new stuff.
I love hi tec stuff so BMW is for me.
If some 1 dont what the hassel then they should go for Toyota
Old 09-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='1011984' date='Sep 19 2009, 04:30 PM
Actually, a modern Porsche has a relatively low maintenance cost attached to it. Until the 2008 model year, Porsche required oil changes only every 20,000 miles or two years for all 997s. They changed it to 10,000 or yearly for 2008. Porsche doesn't offer free maintenance like BMW, but then again BMW is baking the cost of the program into each and every car it sells in the US so you're paying for it in a different way. On my two 997s, the only cost to me has been tires (but BMW doesn't cover tires so that's no different) and the only "maintenance" item I had was a rear bulb go out which my dealer changed for free in any event.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1012139' date='Sep 19 2009, 10:48 PM
Actually, a modern Porsche has a relatively low maintenance cost attached to it. Until the 2008 model year, Porsche required oil changes only every 20,000 miles or two years for all 997s. They changed it to 10,000 or yearly for 2008. Porsche doesn't offer free maintenance like BMW, but then again BMW is baking the cost of the program into each and every car it sells in the US so you're paying for it in a different way. On my two 997s, the only cost to me has been tires (but BMW doesn't cover tires so that's no different) and the only "maintenance" item I had was a rear bulb go out which my dealer changed for free in any event.
Well, his car is out of warranty, so I was talking about out of warranty cars in any case.
But wait till your Porsches are few years old and require lots of maintenance - even basic brake fluid, coolant, gearbox, diff, and fuel system flushes will run you a pretty penny.
Then suspension here and there, then rubber thingys here and there, then this and that... believe me, it will be rather expensive.
Also, please tell me you change your oil more often than every 20K miles.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a BMW again