E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would you buy a BMW again

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by higher' post='1008121' date='Sep 15 2009, 06:33 AM
I think Chris Bangle really screwed up the brand with pretty awful designs. And Run Flats are a total dissaster.
So presently BMW have a conbination of poor design and poor ride / handling - both previously iconic BMW trade marks
I can't think how it could be worse for BMW right now - hence their poor sales figures.
The new designs and better ride / handling is seeping through and the 08/09 cars are much better
After 10 years of owning BMW's these past 2 years really tested my brand loyalty.
I only have to drive a rental car to see just how good a beemer is though !
As for pulling out of F1. BMW were definately 'bitch-slapped' by Mercedes. Or should that be a 'pimp slap ?
Whatever, Merc obliterated them and their engineering very publically and they did it with purpose in mind.
Check out a really funny Bangle robot article on the (sniff petrol). web site.
Have to say I think Bangle was the best thing to happen to BMW in years. His designs were cutting edge, he got a conservative company to take enormous design risks - and by and large he's been proven to be nothing short of a true visionary. I think BMW will lose something without his direct influence. For me, he remains one of the most important figures in the industry in recent years. As for handling, the only thing wrong with most modern BMW's is the impact of the runflat tires, but that's a personal judgment each of us needs to make based on our willingness to trade some level of handling for some level of improved safety. In any event, it's something that's easily addressed at the first tire change if you choose to do so.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by higher' post='1008121
And Run Flats are a total dissaster.
You got it the wrong way around. Run flats prevent total disaster

Originally Posted by higher' post='1008121
As for pulling out of F1. BMW were definately 'bitch-slapped' by Mercedes. Or should that be a 'pimp slap ?
Whatever, Merc obliterated them and their engineering very publically and they did it with purpose in mind.
Check out a really funny Bangle robot article on the (sniff petrol). web site.
Yep, Mercedes really handed BMW their ass in F1. There's no doubt about that one. Two years of McLaren up top and then a year of Brawn doing it with the same engine, and now recently McLaren bringing a renewed challenge.

What about a link to this robot article?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/sport package, comfort access, nav, cold weather package, rear heated seats, pdc

After six weeks, 1,200 miles (my '06 550i sport package has 62,000 total) I'd have to say: YES! This is by far the finest vehicle I've had the good fortune to own. It makes me smile just looking at it in the garage. And driving it. The perfectly dialed in suspension handles everything from smooth to beat up to expansion joints and everything in between without upsetting the chassis or the driver! And the V8. Gotta love that V8. Power when I want it and decent enough fuel economy. And I even like iDrive!

But, reading about all the problems people have experienced does leave me wondering what I may have gotten myself into. But, it's one day at a time. Just because someone else's car has had a problem doesn't mean mine will. And so far, all the days have been good. Ask me again in 5 years....
Old 09-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by r1200gs' post='1008257' date='Sep 15 2009, 06:01 PM
Just because someone else's car has had a problem doesn't mean mine will. And so far, all the days have been good. Ask me again in 5 years....
If it helps, I got my 2004 545i in October last year and have had only one minor issue (which I could have ignored). It was a valve or a sensor related to the fuel tank and emissions. It was covered by the warranty so I've paid nothing in 11 months
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/sport package, comfort access, nav, cold weather package, rear heated seats, pdc

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1008260' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:04 AM
... It was covered by the warranty so I've paid nothing in 11 months
I'm violating the first rule of owning a BMW: Never own a BMW without a warranty! Mine had too many miles to be CPO'd. Wish me luck.

My only repair was a minor oil leak which the dealer covered within the first 30 days. They didn't have to as the limited warranty didn't cover it, but they did. Very stand up on their part. (Motorwerks BMW in Bloomington, MN.) They also did an oil change before I took delivery even though the computer didn't say it was due.

Otherwise, I'm just getting it caught up on routine maintenance. I just did a transmission service (ouch) and rear end service. Hopefully there'll be nothing to report going forward except for routine maintenance.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

PS- I've read on this site that a number of people have beef with teh run flats, but I have not read why..
When I picked up my CPO 05 545i with sport package it was the first BMW I have owned to come with run flats. The dealer even put new tires on for me, Dunlop SP 01. After a few days driving the car I was on the forums asking for feedback because I hated the way the car drove on the highway. I had come out of an M3 and was used to laser accurate steering and control. In the 545 when I changed lanes on the highway the car felt like it dove into the next lane, it felt very un-natural and down right dangerous. I thought it was the active steering, which was new to me. Then the folks on the forum explained tramlining to me. The roads here in MA are NOT flat and the combination of run flat tires and MA roads made the car horrible to drive. I switched to normal Michelin Pilots and the car is literally transformed. If I had no choice but to use run flat tires I would have sold the car, period. It was that bad.

Also every aspect of the car drives significantly better with regular tires, it handles better, it doesn?t tramline on our crappy roads, its quieter, rides smoother, has better turn in and much better traction, especially on damp roads.

What ever model BMW you have the driving dynamics will be 50% better with high quality normal tires vs. run flats.

Also if run flats are so good why does Audi and Mercedes and Lexus avoid them like the plague?

And although run flats let you keep going for some amount of miles there are also cases of folks being far from home and needing to replace a run flat only to find no one has any in stock for miles forcing them to find the closest dealer and pay $350 or more for one tire. So the run flat may prevent you from being immediately stranded but may strand you for longer far from home.

With regular tires I don't have to wait for flat bed. I can change a tire and use my spare to get home.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW.Thailand' post='1006160
Hi
Yes i have a real BMW center, only been in there, BMW Thailand sent me a mail that they is the one there wanted the box changed, nothing why, think they take the easy way out here.
Since 1989 BMW automatic boxes are not-serviceable, meaning that BMW won't sell parts to fix the boxes. They only sell remanufacturerd transmissions. That is the only reason they want you to change the entire gearbox.
You still can get parts for manual trannys though.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by r1200gs' post='1008276' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm violating the first rule of owning a BMW: Never own a BMW without a warranty!
Nonsense! If you truly believe this, sell your car as soon as you can and buy yourself a new Lexus.
BMWs are tough cars. With proper maintenance, they will last and last. Ask me how I know.

PS: swajames, DD_545i - totally agree with you on all your points. Well said.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Shit if i have cash, i would buy a new one again man. Merz isnt my type man. But hey, if you want style, speed or JDM, you should try Acuras man. Im fking hate Lexus ever since, cuz there was one time, this white dude was driving the is250 AWD and kind eye balling me, and criticize my old TL-s i had before. I was going to school with some friends and my shit is too low for speeding. And he was like cutting me, waving around infront of me, hitting the brake and took off with a middle finger. LOL i was like wtf. Some lexus drivers are dumb asses.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Members

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a BMW again