E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire Insulation Quality on E60 Head Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

A few days ago, I changed my parking light bulb( ring light) and to my horror the insulation of the wires within the housing literally came off the moment you touchWire Insulation Quality on E60 Head Light-head_lamp_closeup_mg_4573.jpgWire Insulation Quality on E60 Head Light-head_lamp_mg_4573_.jpg. The more you touch the more insulation coming off the wires. I could not imagine such thing could happen to a 4-year old BMW car. I would expect the wire to last at least 10 years if not the full life span of the car.

I wonder any of you in any parts of the world have encounter such problem to the wire. How you handle such case. Appreciate if you guys and gals can share how you approach.

The local distributor was kind enough to "resolve" the issue and the third photo show Wire Insulation Quality on E60 Head Light-after_being_rectifed_by_bmw_distributor_mg_5067.jpgwhat they did to the wires. I was expecting them to change the whole wire harness . This is the quality of the local BMW distributor. Those black wire ends are electrical insulation tape used by electrican for bare wire insulation. I really could not beleive BMW has such quality and distributor.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

LOL in 10 years these cars will just disintegrate into fine dust (don't snort it though! LMAO)

On a more serious note, I think you should have pressed your BMW Center harder to either get the whole headlight assembly, or at least the harnesses replaced; AND have the whole car inspected for any additional faulty insulation. I don't think this is a common problem and it might be due to a number of unusual factors - wire cooling down too fast, etc.

But in either case, insulation should never just "fall off at the first touch" - that's just ridiculous. I would go back and yell at anyone and everyone at the BMW Center until they've fixed the problem correctly. Putting electrical tape over the exposed wire seems like patching a fuel line with chewing gum! :thumbsdown:

PS I wonder if any Honda Accord owners ever experience anything like this...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

More than likely heat has made the insulation brittle. Possibly they were too close to the back of a bulb or too much current flowing through them.
To replace a wiring harness inside the headlight might mean replacing the complete headlight assembly.
I agree with you on the lack of quality repair the dealer did. A solder splice with heat-shrink insulation is the best way when possible.