E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wiper Studder

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Default Wiper Studder

Okay, so I was one of many who took advantage of the "Amazing Wiper Deal" at Rockauto. (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...wipers-130272/). I bought a set of the Trico blades that were branded NAPA instead of the Bosch that I normally would pick up from Amazon.

It's been a while since they were installed, but we haven't had much rain until recently (Yes I am one of the unfortunate Northeast USA residents who have been in this humid, damp pattern for well over a week now). Anyway, yesterday the blades started chattering no matter what setting they are on. I did Rain-X the windshield over the weekend, but wouldn't that just help them to glide smoother? I'm beginning to wonder whether it's the cheap blades. Has anyone else who bought the Rockauto deal experienced this?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

I did not buy into that however during a very rainly period last April here in Illinois I experienced the same thing. I had just purchased brand new Rain-X blades and applied the rain-x to the windshield and everything worked fine. Then after an extended period of use they started to chatter like crazy, in fact it looked like they were leaving rubber "deposits" in the upper left side of the windshield right where the blade would stop. I cleaned the windshield with steel wool to get all the deposits off and re-applied Rain-X and they have been ok since then. Not really sure what happened of if it will happen again.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased those same blades and am experiencing the same issue. And it has rained in southeastern NC for about 2 weeks now...I was thinking of buying some rainx to see if that would help, but I guess it didn't. Steel wool you say? that seems scratchy!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Clean your windshield and wiper blades with denatured rubbing alcohol or vinegar. Even the most minute rubber residue (and yes, rubber does come off the blades over time) can contribute to chattering. One other major source of chatter is that the blades are not sitting on the windshield at the proper angle. However, I have not explored how to alter that - with older models - 1990's etc - it was done by slightly bending the wiper arm.

I'd go for the super clean approach first. BTW - NO STEEL WOOL!! Microfiber rags or 100% cotton towels only !
Old 07-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

0000 steel wool is perfectly suitable for cleaning/polishing the glass and I recommend it.

Vinegar, rubbing alcohol, or even good ole windex with the 0000 steel wool will do the trick.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by jayarras
I did Rain-X the windshield over the weekend, but wouldn't that just help them to glide smoother?
No. Rain X is your problem, not the solution.

Rain X creates a layer on the glass which does not play well with wiper blades. At first, everything seems great but then the chemical gets gummy and grabs the blades instead of allowing them to glide across the glass correctly. This is the cause of your chatter.

The answer is to get a clay bar and use it to remove the Rain X from your glass. The clay bar will improve things for you, but might not remove all of the Rain X. Over time, if you no longer use Rain X, it will wear off completely and you will have a nice smooth wiper blade motion on the glass again.

Moral of this story: Rain X = bad

Last edited by subterFUSE; 07-03-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

While I agree that there must be SOMETHING on the windshield that is gumming up the wipers (including Rain-X combined with god knows what), I have never had an issue using Rain-X before on the several cars that I have owned. Perhaps a new formulation? I don't know, but I plan to follow some of the excellent suggestions mentioned in this thread to see if it resolves the problem and will report back. For now, the rain has subsided here in the Northeast U.S.