E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper fluid is low.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

I know this has to rank up there with the all time silly questions, but is there anything I need to ponder before buying wiper fluid? I am barely competent to replace the wiper fluid, and didnt want to top it off with the same stuff I use in the wife's car if there is something that is clearly better.....

File this under DUH, I know...

Thanks for any thoughts...
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Contributors

I would not worry about which brand of washer fluid to use ... one blue gallon-sized jug o'stuff is the same as the next.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

There's also BMW's own concentrated windshield antifreeze solution which you dilute with (distilled) water. Well worth it since one small bottle can be diluted into gallons of windshield fluid that can last a really long time.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

For roughly $1, just buy the pre-mixed stuff. Why bother messing with the "BMW fluid" that you have to mix yourself? I know the freezing temps are over for quite a while (especially in Kentucky), but imagine if you mixed the fluid WRONG and added way too much water. Now you have a problem come winter time. For as inexpensive as it is, just buy the pre-mixed.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

My experience was different and it suprised me.

my wifes 116 had blocked washer jets - took it to the dealer and it turned out that the washer additive i had added (Halfords) had reacted with the BMW screenwash (?probably different pH's) and a precipitate had formed.

BMW wanted >?100 to dismantle the wheel arch covers etc to get to the washer bottle to flush out. The stealer said that this had happened before.

It took me approx 1 hour to flush the tank with a hose (+hot water) to remove the 'gunk' that was in the washer tank.

My advice would be to use any washer fluid, but make sure that the bottle is empty, prior to the fill up.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

i use halfords because of cost ,it works resonably well,on all dirt flys grease etc but with the headlight wash and motorways it tends to empty a gallon a ong journey to wales and back so quite costly around a gallon a 1000miles on average. i have found.a tip i found is that the blades must be wiped clean every time you refill.fluids affect the efficiency with a smear of black greasy residue.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

i use halfords because of cost ,it works resonably well,on all dirt flys grease etc but with the headlight wash and motorways it tends to empty a gallon a ong journey to wales and back so quite costly around a gallon a 1000miles on average. i have found.a tip i found is that the blades must be wiped clean every time you refill.fluids affect the efficiency with a smear of black greasy residue.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Any problems using using an off-brand when cleaning your headlights - stuff has a tendency to get all over the hood of my car.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

Is the BMW concentrated fluid available anywhere but at the dealer?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Members

costco simonz for me. ?3 for 5 litres of concentrate. x5 has a 7.5 litre washer tank on it , so id be poor is i used bmw stuff.

seems to go through loads due to me having the headlights on constant. As they are xenons it sprays the light too. Ah well

Quick Reply: Wiper fluid is low.